The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

Now for the shave..

Barrister & Mann's "Saguesera" is one of the most unique scents I've encountered. The scent profile has cedar, violet, coconut, lime, all spice, & rum.. Maybe it's the all spice that's throwing me. I'm familiar with all spice as it's used in a lot of Caribbean cuisine. I love making jerk chicken and all spice is one of the main ingredients of the marinade. I had a hard time deciding on a cologne to pair with it. In the end I decided on Stirling's "Stirling Spice" which worked well.

IMG-2813.jpg

RazoRock Preshave Cube - Charcoal & Lime
B&M "Saguesera" Shave Soap
Stirling Soap Co. HMW Badger Brush
1961 Gillette FatBoy
Gillette Silver Blue Blade
Alum
PAA's Unscented Star Jelly
B&M "Saguesera" Splash

Stirling Soap Co. "Stirling Spice" EdT

Mark is on a mental holiday in the Caribbean today! Please leave a message after the steelpan sound.

27 January, 2020

Good morning all. Wish I had a more time sleep this morning.. Although I only like five minutes commute-time away from my job, I set my alarm to wake up 1½ hours before I have to be in so I have plenty of time to properly shave (and shower), fix coffee and have breakfast.

Today, I hit the snooze button.....

Soooooo... I'm running around like a madman trying to get everything done and out the door on time. Still, I had an excellent shave this morning so... Things are looking up! :)

FIrst time using the CBL Sir Fougere soap. Love the scent (wish it was a tad stronger) and the performance is what I've come to expect from CBL. Hope everyone has a great day!

IMG-2834.jpg

CBL "Sir Fougere" Shave Soap
Stirling Soap Co. HMW Badger Brush
1968 Gillette Slim Adjustable
Alum
English Leather Splash

Paco Rabanne pour Homme EdT

28 January, 2020

Good morning Cadre! I managed to get up on time this morning without hitting the snooze button. Small victories. Not the best shave today. Some redness and irritation. Gonna have to change those Silver Blue Gillettes as often as the Personna blades; 4 shaves. May just cut it back to three shaves per blade.

Hope everyone has a great day!

IMG-2838.jpg

PAA's "Good Vibrations" Shave Soap
Stirling Soap Co. High Mtn. White Badger Brush
1968 Gillette Slim
Alum
PAA's "Good Vibrations" Splash

Dior "Bois D'Argent" EdT

Sorry to hear about the irritation. Once I get over three shaves on a blade I'm always wondering if the next one will be a butcher-fest or if I can eke one more out lol.

Sorry to hear about the irritation. Once I get over three shaves on a blade I'm always wondering if the next one will be a butcher-fest or if I can eke one more out lol.
Yeah typically I get around 4 shaves per blade but as I said I think from now on I'll go to just three shave per blade. :unsure:

29 January, 2020

Good morning Cadre! Hope everyone had a pleasant night. Today is "Vetiver Day"! To be honest, for a long time I didn't care for vetiver. Maybe it was the Royall brand vetiver that I got years ago but I thought it was just too "perfumy". Something about it reminded me of something my grandmother would have worn. Now, I love my "mawmaw" (she passed in 1980 God rest her soul), but I have no desire to smell like her. Fast forward ten or so years and I had finally heard enough about Guerlain to finally give vetiver another shot. But, as you know, I like to keep a common thread to my shaves as mush as I can so I sprung for the CBL "V For Vetiver" soap and a bottle of Fine's "Green Vetiver". Today I had the inaugural shave and loved it! I really like that the Guerlain is a (relatively) "dry" vetiver. Not a lot going on other than the main scent. Of course I'd love to have more scent from the soap but it provided a great shave base as always and the Fine splash, though not identical, complemented the frag. Definitely a 5 Star shave today!!

IMG-2842.jpg

RazoRock Preshave Soap - Charcoal & Lime
CBL Tonsorial "V FOR VETIVER" Soap
1970 Gillette Super Adjustable
Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless
Alum
Fine "Green Vetiver" splash

Guerlain Vetiver EdT

Ohhhh I see. “Give vetiver another shot” I had read that as the frag for some reason. My bad!

30 January, 2020

Good morning my fellow whisker whackers! Hope you had a pleasant night and have a wonderful day!

IMG-2848.jpg

Noble Otter "Thé Noir et Vanille" Shave Soap
1970 Gillette Super Adjustable
Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless Blade
Alum
Noble Otter "Thé Noir et Vanille" Splash

Dior "Bois D'Argent" EdT

Very nice!

I don’t think I saw, how’d the weekend gig go?
Meh.. It went great overall. I had an off night. Just felt off.. Couldn't find my groove. I had a poor monitor mix so I couldn't hear my bass or vocals very well. . It happens..

Back