The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

23 November, 2021

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

For today's Morning Music segment I got inspiration from the frag I wore today. Amouage's Imitation Man is one of the most unique frags I've ever used. It's described on their website as:
"An olfactory imitation of New York City's multiculturalism in the 1970's. This floral aldehyde fragrance is a tribute to that iconic era."

And so today I'm featuring a trio of tunes from bands that hail from the Big Apple. Hope you enjoy!

Great shave today. Went back to Murphy and McNeil, "Ouroboros" soap and splash this time. Great scent. Kind of a cross between Dragons Blood and Nag Champa. Fantastic lather as always from their Aon base. Finished with the matching splash (plus skin food) and a spray of Amouage "Imitation Man".

Hope you have a wonderful day. :)

Murphy and McNeil "Ouroboros" Shave Soap / Stirling Soap Co. HMW Badger / Tatara Masamune SB Razor / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Murphy and McNeil "Ouroboros" After Shave Splash (+ Skin Food) / Amouage "Imitation Man"

IMG-7768.jpg

23 November, 2021

For today's Morning Music segment I got inspiration from the frag I wore today. Amouage's Imitation Man is one of the most unique frags I've ever used. It's described on their website as:

And so today I'm featuring a trio of tunes from bands that hail from the Big Apple. Hope you enjoy!

Great shave today. Went back to Murphy and McNeil, "Ouroboros" soap and splash this time. Great scent. Kind of a cross between Dragons Blood and Nag Champa. Fantastic lather as always from their Aon base. Finished with the matching splash (plus skin food) and a spray of Amouage "Imitation Man".

Murphy and McNeil "Ouroboros" Shave Soap / Stirling Soap Co. HMW Badger / Tatara Masamune SB Razor / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Murphy and McNeil "Ouroboros" After Shave Splash (+ Skin Food) / Amouage "Imitation Man"

View attachment 67916

Little known by Joey Ramone (see what I did there? ;))... kinda one of my favorites

24 November, 2021

Last work day before the holiday and long weekend (here in the states) so I wanted to have something fun for today's Morning Music segment which is always brought to you by WMRK Internet Radio - All Hits! All The Time!™ And so here are a couple from the great Earth, Wind & Fire! Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Went with A&E's "Barbiere Sofisticato" soap and splash. Thick, slick yogurt-like lather from this one with a great post shave face feel. I love the scent but it is a little strange. To my nose (especially with the splash) it has almost a "dryer sheet" like quality to it. Once it dries it goes away but that struck me as odd when I first used it. Finished with a spray of YSL "La Nuit De L'Homme" EdT.

Hope you have a great day. :)

Ariana & Evans "Barbiere Sofisticato" Shave Soap / Wild West Brushworks "REM Cycle" Synth / Tatara Masamune SB Razor / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Ariana & Evans "Barbiere Sofisticato" After Shave Splash & Skin Food / YSL "La Nuit De L'Homme" EdT

IMG-7776.jpg

24 November, 2021

Last work day before the holiday and long weekend (here in the states) so I wanted to have something fun for today's Morning Music segment which is always brought to you by WMRK Internet Radio - All Hits! All The Time!™ And so here are a couple from the great Earth, Wind & Fire! Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Went with A&E's "Barbiere Sofisticato" soap and splash. Thick, slick yogurt-like lather from this one with a great post shave face feel. I love the scent but it is a little strange. To my nose (especially with the splash) it has almost a "dryer sheet" like quality to it. Once it dries it goes away but that struck me as odd when I first used it. Finished with a spray of YSL "La Nuit De L'Homme" EdT.

Ariana & Evans "Barbiere Sofisticato" Shave Soap / Wild West Brushworks "REM Cycle" Synth / Tatara Masamune SB Razor / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Ariana & Evans "Barbiere Sofisticato" After Shave Splash & Skin Food / YSL "La Nuit De L'Homme" EdT

View attachment 68016
I see we went fancy schmancy today!

29 November, 2021

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a wonderful weekend.

Let's get some tunes rolling or your Monday. Here's a couple from Fusion artist Tyranni Flock from their 2018 self-titled EP. Hope you enjoy.

Fantastic shave this morning. Went back to the SV made "Flying Mango" shave soap. Pretty much the same qualities as the SV soaps. Great lather and a nice tobacco leaf, light green, peppery scent (to my nose). Three passes for a DFS+ result and I finished with a splash of Avon "Öland" aftershave splash and a spray of Ralph Lauren "Safari" EdT. Great start the the week.

Asylum "Flying Mango" Shave Soap / Wild West Brushworks "Talisman" Synth / Tatara Masamune SB Razor / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Vintage Avon "Öland" Aftershave Splash (+Skin Food) / Ralph Lauren "Safari" EdT

IMG-7816.jpg

29 November, 2021

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a wonderful weekend.

Let's get some tunes rolling or your Monday. Here's a couple from Fusion artist Tyranni Flock from their 2018 self-titled EP. Hope you enjoy.

Fantastic shave this morning. Went back to the SV made "Flying Mango" shave soap. Pretty much the same qualities as the SV soaps. Great lather and a nice tobacco leaf, light green, peppery scent (to my nose). Three passes for a DFS+ result and I finished with a splash of Avon "Öland" aftershave splash and a spray of Ralph Lauren "Safari" EdT. Great start the the week.

Asylum "Flying Mango" Shave Soap / Wild West Brushworks "Talisman" Synth / Tatara Masamune SB Razor / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Vintage Avon "Öland" Aftershave Splash (+Skin Food) / Ralph Lauren "Safari" EdT

View attachment 68533
Excellent kick off to the new week Mark! Hope you had a great holiday!

30 November, 2021

In a Rippingtons mood this morning so here are a few to help get your Tuesday going. Hope you enjoy.

Another fantastic shave this morning. Went back to Stirling, this time with their "Intrepid Man" soap and splash. This scent is inspired by Creed's Original Santal and is a pretty good dupe. It definitely captured the "spirit" of OS. Superb lather! Slick and slippery and very cushioning. Three passes produced a DFS result and I finished with the aforementioned matching splash and a spray of Original Santal. Damn I smell good!! Fantastic!

Stirling Soap Co. "Intrepid Man" Shave Soap / Stirling Soap Co. Pro Handle Synth / PAA Ascension DOC / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Stirling Soap Co. "Intrepid Man" Aftershave Splash (+ Skin Food) / Creed "Original Santal" EdP

IMG-7824.jpg

Last edited:
30 November, 2021

In a Rippingtons mood this morning so here are a few to help get your Tuesday going. Hope you enjoy.

Another fantastic shave this morning. Went back to Stirling, this time with their "Intrepid Man" soap and splash. This scent is inspired by Creed's Original Santal and is a pretty good dupe. It definitely captured the "spirit" of OS. Superb lather! Slick and slippery and very cushioning. Three passes produced a DFS result and I finished with the aforementioned matching splash and a spray of Original Santal. Damn I smell good!! Fantastic!

Stirling Soap Co. "Intrepid Man" Shave Soap / Stirling Soap Co. Pro Handle Synth / PAA Ascension DOC / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Stirling Soap Co. "Intrepid Man" Aftershave Splash (+ Skin Food) / Creed "Original Santal" EdP

View attachment 68629
Very nice! Thanks for telling me what the set scent is supposed to be modeled after…I was feeling to lazy to try and find it 🤷‍♂️ 😂

1 December, 2021

Wow! Can't believe we're in December. The year has definitely flown by. Birthday coming up as well... Hard to believe I'll be 45!! :sneaky: I already have my B-day shave planned out!! 🤩

Gonna continue with The Rippingtons for this morning's music segment. Had them playing in the office pretty much all day yesterday and really enjoyed it. Hope you do as well.

Stellar shave this morning! Haven't used the Noble Otter "Monarch" in quite a while. Fantastic scent! The neroli really stands out to my nose and the interplay of all the notes together, take on a "dark fruit" note for me. Plum and date, maybe some pomegranate in there as well. The lather is incredibly slick and provides an excellent shaving base. Three passes for a DFS+ result from the Ascension DOC and I finished with the matching splash (+ skin food)and a spray of YSL "La Nuit De L'Homme" EdT. Great kick off to the final month of 2021!

Noble Otter "Monarch" Shave Soap / Wild West Brushworks "Gold Coast" Synth / PAA Ascension DOC Razor / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Noble Otter "Monarch" Aftershave Splash (+ Skin Food) / YSL "La Nuit De L'Homme" EdT

IMG-7832.jpg

Last edited:
1 December, 2021

Wow! Can't believe we're in December. The year has definitely flown by. Birthday coming up as well... Hard to believe I'll be 45!! :sneaky: I already have my B-day shave planned out!! 🤩

Gonna continue with The Rippingtons for this morning's music segment. Had them playing in the office pretty much all day yesterday and really enjoyed it. Hope you do as well.

Stellar shave this morning! Haven't used the Noble Otter "Monarch" in quite a while. Fantastic scent! The neroli really stands out to my nose and the interplay of all the notes together, take on a "dark fruit" note for me. Plum and date, maybe some pomegranate in there as well. The lather is incredibly slick and provides an excellent shaving base. Three passes for a DFS+ result from the Ascension DOC and I finished with the matching splash (+ skin food)and a spray of YSL "La Nuit De L'Homme" EdT. Great kick off to the final month of 2021!

Noble Otter "Monarch" Shave Soap / Wild West Brushworks "Gold Coast" Synth / PAA Ascension DOC Razor / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Noble Otter "Monarch" Aftershave Splash (+ Skin Food) / YSL "La Nuit De L'Homme" EdT

View attachment 68736
Birthday month! Woohoo! When’s the actual day?

No, no! It’s great…for the people buying the presents! 😂
:ROFLMAO:

Yeah definitely! I would get those "This is your birthday AND Christmas present." situations.. Not from my parents of course. Never got a birthday party at school because we were on Christmas Vacation (they still did that back when I was a kid)... With all that, it's really a miracle I didn't grow up to be an ax murderer.. :unsure:

Back