The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

In a Bowie mood this morning
What a perfect way to start the day. I remember when Modern Love was on the airwaves, it was like a breath of fresh air among the Duran Duran and Wham songs. He made a lot of excellent music, my favorite period being in the early- to mid-70s with Diamond Dogs and Ziggy Stardust. Those two albums in particular, to my recollection, challenged norms in ways not seen before. They challenged his audience, and IMO Bowie pretty much created Glam Rock.

18 November, 2021

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Getting some Jazz/Fusion going for this today's Morning Music segment. Here's drummer extraordinaire Dave Weckl and a couple from his 1990 album, Master Plan. Hope you enjoy.

Another great shave today. Went back to Murphy and McNeil's "Tobac Fanaile" which, as the name indicates, is inspired by Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille. Very good dupe but the M&M is a bit more fruit forward and the tobacco flower seems more prevalent as well. Still, it's a great soap and scent. I love their Aon base. Whips up a thick & slick , yogurt-like lather with very little effort. Three passes for a DFS++ result. Soap and matching splash and I finished with a spray of Alexandria Fragrances "Sweet Smoke" EdP.

Hope you have a great day. :)

Murphy & McNeil "Tobac Fanaile" Shave Soap / Wild West Brushworks "Talisman" Synth / Tatara Masamune SB Razor / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Murphy & McNeil "Tobac Fanaile" Aftershave Splash (+ Skin Food) / Alexandria Fragrances "Sweet Smoke" EdP

IMG-7733.jpg

Good music, Mark. Over time I have come to appreciate that musicians hear music differently than do I. Every musician I know has a much broader range of musical tastes. I pretty much like what I like, and ignore the rest. I always thought I didn't like jazz fusion, but when I've seen it performed I've been blown away by the musicianship. This morning's music is an example of that. This drummer is talented, based on the second song (no time for both today). Thanks for introducing him to us.

Glad you enjoyed it Bruce! Yeah check out some of his other material. I think you'll like it.

Nice shave Mark! I was able to sample TF Tobacco Vanille once off a spray card! A bit too sweet for me, but still overall pretty pleasant. 😎👍

19 November, 2021

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

For today's Morning Music segment I'm going to feature a couple of songs featuring one of my favorite bassists. He is Mark Egan and here he is with Pat Metheny alum, Danny Gotlieb on drums. Hope you enjoy.

A bit of indecision with today's shave. Normally I have a fixed idea the night before of what I'll use for my shave the following morning. Not this time. But ultimately, after going back and forth between several items, I decided to go with Seaforth Spiced. Good call too! This is exactly what I needed this morning, wonderful spicy scent and the lather quality is exceptional. Three passes with the Tatara yielded a DFS++ result. Great way to round out the workweek. Wonderful!

Spearhead Shaving Co. "Seaforth! Spiced" Shave Soap / Simpson "Commodore" X3 Best Badger / Tatara Masamune SB Razor / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Spearhead Shaving Co. "Seaforth! Spiced" Aftershave Toner / Spearhead Shaving Co. "Seaforth! Spiced" EdT

IMG-7744.jpg

Awesome Mark! Always great to have some solid performers to fall back on. Have a great Friday!
Normally I have a fixed idea the night before of what I'll use for my shave the following morning.
I usually do this too. Saves so much time in the mornings lol 😂

22 November, 2021

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a great weekend.

Getting some Monday tunes going with a couple from post-punk, electronic artist Houses of Heaven. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Went with Stirling's "Electric Sheep" shave soap. Fantastic lather but I can see why the scent can be a little polarizing. Definitely has that anti-mosquito - tiki torch vibe. Three passes with a DFS+ result and finished with a splash of Stetson after shave splash and a spray of the matching EdT. Great start to the week.

Stirling Soap Co. "Electric Sheep" Shave Soap / Frank Shaving Silvertip / Tatara Masamune SB Razor
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Stetson "After Shave Splash (+Skin Food) / Stetson EdC

IMG-7761.jpg

22 November, 2021

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a great weekend.

Getting some Monday tunes going with a couple from post-punk, electronic artist Houses of Heaven. Hope you enjoy.

Great shave this morning. Went with Stirling's "Electric Sheep" shave soap. Fantastic lather but I can see why the scent can be a little polarizing. Definitely has that anti-mosquito - tiki torch vibe. Three passes with a DFS+ result and finished with a splash of Stetson after shave splash and a spray of the matching EdT. Great start to the week.

Stirling Soap Co. "Electric Sheep" Shave Soap / Frank Shaving Silvertip / Tatara Masamune SB Razor
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Stetson "After Shave Splash (+Skin Food) / Stetson EdC

View attachment 67838
You're exposing me to some good music I haven't heard before, Mark...thanks! My wife is a school band director and has some pretty eclectic tastes, but some of your links are new to me.

Glad you like the tunes, Jason. Yeah I get some pretty strange looks from my coworkers with some of the stuff I listen too. 😄

Also check out the Bandcamp website. Lots of great indie artists to be found there.

Back