The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

9 November, 2021

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

In a Depeche Mode mood this morning so for today's Morning Music, here are a couple from their 2005 album Playing the Angel. Hope you enjoy.

Wonderful shave this morning. Went back to Frank's Vanilla Safi shave soap. Love the scent and the lather is very slick and cushioning. Three passes and a touch-up (that Feather is a very mild razor) and I finished with some ETHOS "Clean" Skin Food Splash with a couple of drops of the Vanilla Safi fragrance blend added, along with a spray of the Dragonsbeard EdP.

Hope you have a great day. :)

ETHOS "Vanilla Safi" Shave Soap / Simpson Commodore X3 Best Badger / Feather AS-D2 / Wizamet Super Iridium
Alum / ETHOS "Clean" Skin Food Splash + Vanilla Safi Fragrance Blend / ETHOS "Dragonsbeard" EdP

View attachment 66555
Depeche Mode! Pardon my ignorance, I didn't know they were still making music in 2005. I remember the early New Wave stuff in the mid 80s and then the huge commercial successes of Personal Jesus and Enjoy the Silence ( on Violator, iirc...). You are walking me down amnesia lane, Mark...great shave, too.

Depeche Mode! Pardon my ignorance, I didn't know they were still making music in 2005. I remember the early New Wave stuff in the mid 80s and then the huge commercial successes of Personal Jesus and Enjoy the Silence ( on Violator, iirc...). You are walking me down amnesia lane, Mark...great shave, too.
Yep, still making great music. That album Playing the Angel is still in heavy rotation for me.

Went with the original Fine Accoutrements triple-milled Santal Absolut shave soap and matching splash. What a shame their soap maker went under.. These are some great soaps. Luckily I snagged a few for backup before they got scarce. Excellent lather!
Agree 100% on the Fine 3x pucks, Mark. Fantastic products. I got a few back ups at the time as well.
Btw, you can still get pucks from the Fine website in Fresh Vetiver or Lavender on clearance.

12 November, 2021

Good morning Cadre. Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Friday back at work after the day off yesterday and I'm hoping it's going to be a low-key kind of day. So for today's Morning Music I'm going Chill-Wave / Synth-Wave in the hopes that you'll have a low-key kind of day as well. So sit back and relax.

Fantastic shave this morning. Had a whole other setup ready to go and at the last minute I saw the tub of "Velvet Wood" on the counter and grabbed it instead. Great scent and the lather the soap produces is wonderful. Great homage to the now-discontinued iColoniali mango oil soap. Three passes + touch-up with the Feather gave a DFS+ result. Finished with a splash of Skin Bracer Original (+ skin food) and a spray of Nicolai "New York" EdT.

CBL Soap's "Velvet Wood" Shave Soap / YAQI "Mysterious Space" Synth / Feather AS-D2 / Wizamet Super Iridium
Alum / Skin Bracer Original After Shave + Skin Food / Parfums de Nicolai "New York" EdT

IMG-7670.jpg

Last edited:
15 November, 2021

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a great weekend. Today's Morning Music featured solely above because well, a song of that genius can't have anything else distracting from it. Hope you enjoyed it.

Great shave today. Skipped yesterday so today's shave was especially nice! Went with Wholly Kaw's "Vor V" shave soap. Great lather and the scent is nice but a bit of an enigma to me. Lots of different notes in there that are nice but IMO fail to congeal into a satisfying whole. For me, it's a nice scent for the shave but not one I like well enough to warrant investment in a bottle of the matching splash. Finished with Fine Accoutrements "Latigo" and a spray of "Knize 10" EdT.

Wholly Kaw "Vor V" Shave Soap / YAQI "Lucky Dice" Synth / Feather AS-D2 / Wizamet Super Iridium
Alum / Fine Accoutrements "Latigo" Aftershave Splash (+ Skin Food) / "Knize 10" EdT

IMG-7689.jpg

16 November, 2021

Going back to one of my all-time favorite groups for today's Morning Music segment. Here is the Hiromi Trio Project featuring Hiromi Uhehara (piano/keyboard), Anthony Jackson (contrabass guitar) & Simon Phillips (drums). Hope you enjoy.

Wonderful shave this morning. Went back to Saponificio Varesino and their Tundra Artica shave soap and splash. Nice woody/citrus notes right off the top. Oud is in there but in more of a supporting role to my nose. Great lather! Three passes resulted in a DFS result. Finished with a spray of YSL L'Homme EdT. I may be putting the Feather up in the BST soon. It's a great razor, but a little too mild for my tastes.

Saponificio Varesino "Tundra Artica" Shave Soap / Frank Shaving Silver Tip / Feather AS-D2 / Wizamet Super Iridium
Alum / Saponificio Varesino "Tundra Artica" Aftershave Lotion / Yves Saint Laurent "L'Homme" EdT

IMG-7708.jpg

Nice setup today Mark! Hope you have a great Tuesday!

Bummer about the Feather. Seems fairly foolproof otherwise!

17 November, 2021

In a Bowie mood this morning and so here are a couple from the "Thin White Duke"*. Hope you enjoy.

Fantastic shave this morning! Got in my order of @CBLindsay / Chris's "Russian Tea" yesterday and of course, I had to use it today! Wonderful soap and scent! Exceptionally slick and fragrant and yes, it does smell exactly like that wonderful drink from your youth. In fact, I'm going to have to go out and get some stuff to make it because my wife has never had it. Soap and matching after shave tonic and I finished with a spray of Burberry London EdT. Wonderful!

CBL Soaps "Russian Tea" Shave Soap / Knothead Brush Works "Silk Smoke" Synth / Tatara Masamune SB Razor
Gillette Platinum / Alum / CBL Soaps "Russian Tea" After Shave Tonic / Burberry "London" EdT

IMG-7720.jpg

*Okay, technically these songs came out after the TWD era of the mid to late 70's but he was often still referred to by that moniker well after then.

Russian Tea is a soap still on my acquisition/to-try list. Nice shave Mark! Hope it’s a good day for ya!

Back