The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

28 October, 2021

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Continuing on this morning with "MarkB's Horror House of Movie Soundtracks", today I'm featuring the music of the movies of John Carpenter. Not only a famous movie director, Carpenter (occasionally along with fellow musician Alan Howarth) has scored most of the films he's made. And so, here are a few selections from Carpenter's films. Hope you enjoy.

Another fantastic shave today. Went with Oz Shaving's "40 Crows" shave soap. If you haven't tried Oz Shaving I highly recommend you do. Their Emerald Soap Base provides a wonderful lather. "40 Crows" is a wonderful fall scent. Bergamot, lemon & neroli sit atop a base of amber and oakmoss, with some rose, patchouli and the musky-sweet smell of dry leaves in there as well. All these elements combine to produce (to my nose anyway) a wonderful fragrance akin to a warm autumn beverage.. Almost cider-like.. Maybe a toddy.. Truly wonderful. I finished with a splash of Clubman's Reserve "Brandy Spice" splash (with added skin food) and a spray of Alexandria Fragrances "Golden Rush".

Hope you have a great day. :)

Oz Shaving "40 Crows" Shave Soap / Wild West Brushworks "Candy Corn" Synth / Karve SS SB Christopher Bradley Razor
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Clubman Reserve "Brandy Spice" After Shave Splash / Alexandria Fragrances "Golden Rush" EdP

IMG-7535.jpg

Fun track selection today Mark! Have you caught any classic movies this last month so far?

Fun track selection today Mark! Have you caught any classic movies this last month so far?
Some classics.. I got out of "splatter" movies years ago so I'm not big into the Friday the 13th type films anymore. I still watch the classic (1978) Halloween though. In fact, if you pay attention there's practically no blood in that film. "The Changeling" is a great old fashioned type ghost story movie. I' recommend that one if you've never seen it... A couple of more recent films that I really liked are "The Autopsy of Jane Doe", "Oculus" & "Devil".. Very entertaining.

Nowadays I prefer movies that bridge the line between horror and mystery.. Suspense is preferred to "jump-scares" and overt blood and gore. Just an FYI, "The Autopsy of Jane Doe" does contain graphic nudity (as the title implies), but it's not sexualized.

29 October, 2021

Good morning Cadre, Hope you had pleasant evening.

We continue on with MarkB's House of Horror Movie Soundtracks! Today I'm featuring music from Italian composer Fabio Frizzi who is known for his late 70's and early 80's work with Italian Giallo master Lucio Fulci. His scores added immensely to Fulci's films where atmosphere more often superseded an actual coherent script. Hope you enjoy.

Another great shave today. @Scuttlesoap I apologize, I had already had this shave planned for today but tomorrow I'll try to do some kind of Evil Dead themed shave. ;) Back to Southern Witchcrafts and their "Barbershop" soap, "Desairology". If you're not familiar with the term, desairology is the practice of cosmetologists, barbers or stylists who prep the deceased for viewing prior to burial. As with all SW's soap, the lather was excellent and nigh effortless to produce. The scent reminds or Original Floid so I finished with a splash of Epsilon Amber (with added skin food) and a spray of Lagerfeld Classic which IMO is a nice complement to the Epsilon splash.

Hope you have a great day :)

Southern Witchcrafts "Desairology" Shave Soap / Wild West Brushworks "Candy Corn" Synth / Karve SS SB Christopher Bradley Razor
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Epsilon Amber After Shave Splash (+ Skin Food) / Lagerfeld Classic EdT

IMG-7540.jpg

30 October, 2021

Good afternoon Cadre! Hope you're having a great weekend.

@Scuttlesoap requested an Evil Dead / Army of Darkness themed shave and I did my best on short notice. To begin, I went back to Southern Witchcrafts, this time choosing their "Autumn Ash" shave soap because the protagonist in all the Evil Dead movies is of course, named "Ash"... "Ash J. Williams". Great soap and perfect for fall. Dark and resinous with notes maple, spices, (Boom-stick) smoke, amber, cedar, oud and a laundry list of other accords. You'd have to be some kind of Primitive Screwhead not to like it! And what would be the Ash approved aftershave for a shave like this? Well, if you watched the short-lived Starz series "Ash vs. Evil Dead", you'd know that Ash is a die-hard Clubman guy.

IMG-7550.JPG

Finished with some "Canoe" cologne. Great shave! Nice enough to make anyone feel like "Mr. Fancy Pants".

Hope you're having a great weekend. 🎃

Southern Witchcrafts "Amber Ash" Shave Soap / Wild West Brushworks "Kokopelli" Synth / Karve SS SB Christopher Bradley Razor
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Pinaud Clubman Aftershave Lotion / Dana "Canoe" EdT / Remington Express 00 Buckshot

IMG-7553.jpg

30 October, 2021

Good afternoon Cadre! Hope you're having a great weekend.

@Scuttlesoap requested an Evil Dead / Army of Darkness themed shave and I did my best on short notice. To begin, I went back to Southern Witchcrafts, this time choosing their "Autumn Ash" shave soap because the protagonist in all the Evil Dead movies is of course, named "Ash"... "Ash J. Williams". Great soap and perfect for fall. Dark and resinous with notes maple, spices, (Boom-stick) smoke, amber, cedar, oud and a laundry list of other accords. You'd have to be some kind of Primitive Screwhead not to like it! And what would be the Ash approved aftershave for a shave like this? Well, if you watched the short-lived Starz series "Ash vs. Evil Dead", you'd know that Ash is a die-hard Clubman guy.

View attachment 65456

Finished with some "Canoe" cologne. Great shave! Nice enough to make anyone feel like "Mr. Fancy Pants".

Hope you're having a great weekend. 🎃

Southern Witchcrafts "Amber Ash" Shave Soap / Wild West Brushworks "Kokopelli" Synth / Karve SS SB Christopher Bradley Razor
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Pinaud Clubman Aftershave Lotion / Dana "Canoe" EdT / Remington Express 00 Buckshot

View attachment 65453
1635634816793.jpeg

Back