The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MarkB's Basses, Shaves & Other Obsessions

19 October, 2021

Good morning Cadre. Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Let's get some tunes going this morning! Today I'm going to feature a couple more from Contemporary Jazz greats, Fourplay. Hope you enjoy.

Fantastic shave this morning. Hadn't used the CBL "Cigar Shop Hombre" soap in a while so I remedied that today. Great lather and that scent is wonderful! Three passes provided a DFS+ result. Finished with a splash of "Cigar Aficionado" after shave splash (with added skin food) and a spray of Scentville's Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille dupe.

Hope you have a great day. :)

CBL "Cigar Store Hombre" Shave Soap / Techichi "Tech Hive" Synth / PAA SS META-4 Razor / Gillette Platinum / Alum
"Cigar Aficionado"After Shave Splash + H.A.S. + ETHOS Reméde Serum / Scentville "Tobacco Vanille" Dupe EdT

IMG-7454.jpg

t's the META-4 razor from Phoenix Shaving. They also sell a variety of replacement tips for the handle. I have a red (shown) as well as a purple one that I swap out from time to time.
Oh, I never knew that. That's pretty cool. My BY/BQtr is a C-1 Red Tip (1957).

20 October, 2021

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

For today's morning music I wanted to feature a couple more from one of my all-time favorite drummers as well as a great composer in his own right. Here is Simon Phillips.

Great shave this morning. Went with a "spirit of the season" theme today, breaking out mt tub of Phoenix Shaving's "Blue Samhain" and matching Star Jelly. Wonderful scent with notes of sandalwood, caramelized sugar, bourbon and pumpkin. Just right on the threshold of gourmand. Great lather that was almost effortless to produce. Three passes and a DFS+ was the result. Finished with a spray of ETHOS "Dragonsbeard" EdP.

Hope you have a wonderful day and always remember, kindness doesn't cost a thing. :)

Phoenix Shaving "Blue Samhain" Shave Soap / Wild West Brushworks "Candy Corn" Synth / Phoenix Shaving SS META-4 Razor / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Phoenix Shaving "Blue Samhain" Star Jelly After Shave / ETHOS Grooming Essentials "Dragonsbeard" EdP

IMG-7460a.jpg

21 October, 2021

For today's morning music I'm feature a couple of songs from a "super group" who unfortunately have only released the one album. But, oh my what a great album it is! The band is called Them Crooked Vultures and features Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age) on guitar and lead vocals, Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters / Nirvana) on drums and backing vocals and the incredible John Paul Jones (if I gotta tell you who he is, we can no longer be friends) on pretty much everything else. Check out the rest of the album. It's fantastic! Hope you enjoy.

Wow! What a great shave this morning. Today was one of those days where the stars aligned and everything went right with the shave. Lather was great, no nicks, cuts or irritation. In fact there was literally no feedback from the alum block. Just a perfect shaving experience!

Barrister's Reserve "Classic" Shave Soap / Stirling Soap Co. 26mm Pro Handle Synth / PAA SS META-4 Razor
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Barrister's Reserve "Classic" Aftershave Splash + Skin Food / Pierre Cardin EdC

IMG-7465.jpg

Last edited:
I think of Starship Troopers - the greatest bad movie of all time. But the soap is just one of the greatest - love that Sun Up scent!

View attachment 64505
Starship Troopers was actually on the Commandant's Reading list sometime back in the 90's (That's Marine Corps for you other service dwellers). Had some really good philosophical principles about citizenship. And yeah...sure it was a "cheesy" sci-fi book...it was still pretty darn good.

Starship Troopers was actually on the Commandant's Reading list sometime back in the 90's (That's Marine Corps for you other service dwellers). Had some really good philosophical principles about citizenship. And yeah...sure it was a "cheesy" sci-fi book...it was still pretty darn good.
I really liked the book - Robert Heinlein is one of my favorite authors - and you‘re right about the underlying premise for citizenship- but that doesn’t come across in the movie. The movie is one of my guilty pleasures though - some people watch Housewives of Beverly Hills - me - If Starship Troopers in on - I will watch it!

1634844722041.gif

I really liked the book - Robert Heinlein is one of my favorite authors - and you‘re right about the underlying premise for citizenship- but that doesn’t come across in the movie. The movie is one of my guilty pleasures though - some people watch Housewives of Beverly Hills - me - If Starship Troopers in on - I will watch it!

View attachment 64508
With you on that one. It doesn't hold up all that well, but it's a fun movie to watch.

21 October, 2021

For today's morning music I'm feature a couple of songs from a "super group" who unfortunately have only released the one album. But, oh my what a great album it is! The band is called Them Crooked Vultures and features Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age) on guitar and lead vocals, Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters / Nirvana) on drums and backing vocals and the incredible John Paul Jones (if I gotta tell you who he is, we can no longer be friends) on pretty much everything else. Check out the rest of the album. It's fantastic! Hope you enjoy.

Wow! What a great shave this morning. Today was one of those days where the stars aligned and everything went right with the shave. Lather was great, no nicks, cuts or irritation. In fact there was literally no feedback from the alum block. Just a perfect shaving experience!

Barrister's Reserve "Classic" Shave Soap / Stirling Soap Co. 26mm Pro Handle Synth / PAA SS META-4 Razor
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Barrister's Reserve "Classic" Aftershave Splash + Skin Food / Pierre Cardin EdC

View attachment 64459
I’d never heard of the group...thanks for the info. Off to check them out(y)

22 October, 2021

It's finally Friday here at WMRK Internet Radio (All Hits All The Time 📻) and for today's Morning Music segment, I'm going World Music with a few from the rumba flamenca greats, the Gipsy Kings. I remember when I first heard these guys. It was on a late show back in the 80's and I was blown away! Went out the next day and bought the album. Still listen to it to this day. Hope you enjoy!

Another fantastic shave today. Not as effortless and yesterday's but sill great results. The Declaration Grooming "Nightman" soap is marketed as a summer scent, but IMO the woody elements of the scent work well for autumn. Exceptional lather! Very slick and cushioning. THree passes and I finished with some Paul Sebastian Aftershave balm and cologne. Wonderful way to end the workweek.

Declaration Grooming "Nightman" Shave Soap / RazoRock 400 Noir SE Synth / PAA SS META-4
Gillette Platinum / Alum / Paul Sebastian After Shave Balm and EdC

IMG-7471.jpg

Last edited:
Mark sliding into the weekend with some effort
giphy.gif

Back