The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Life On the Wee Woo Box

@dangerousdon told me about this podcast as a recommendation for leadership stuff. The first episode I listened to was kinda traumatic because Dakota Meyer was talking about probably the worst time in his life. I was not prepared to hear the pain in his voice. But it's encouragement to talk about the bad stuff I see and feel because of my job. Maybe not exactly leadership stuff in the episode but it definitely applied to me.

I did tell you that a lot of them will be on the heavy side. I hope it didn't bring too much in you. Listen to several of them...even look at the show notes and pick and choose if you will. Sometimes he dissects literature, sometimes he uses his military experience and others, sometimes he goes off script. There was one I listened to a while back where he interviewed a Vietnam Special Forces Vet. His name escapes me right now. But during his fantastic retelling of horrific events, there was a segment that he and Jocko started discussing about "Extreme Ownership." My wife was listening at the time and became hooked. Anyway...The extreme ownership really hit home with me. I wasn't expecting to really learn much fro the personal account...but there it was, and man it was powerful. My guess is there are tidbits in that podcast that you listened to that while you may not have said outright that you learned something...we always learn from other's experiences. The Jocko Podcast is just downright the best leadership learning tool I have ever come across. I hope you can gleam from it!

I did tell you that a lot of them will be on the heavy side. I hope it didn't bring too much in you. Listen to several of them...even look at the show notes and pick and choose if you will. Sometimes he dissects literature, sometimes he uses his military experience and others, sometimes he goes off script. There was one I listened to a while back where he interviewed a Vietnam Special Forces Vet. His name escapes me right now. But during his fantastic retelling of horrific events, there was a segment that he and Jocko started discussing about "Extreme Ownership." My wife was listening at the time and became hooked. Anyway...The extreme ownership really hit home with me. I wasn't expecting to really learn much fro the personal account...but there it was, and man it was powerful. My guess is there are tidbits in that podcast that you listened to that while you may not have said outright that you learned something...we always learn from other's experiences. The Jocko Podcast is just downright the best leadership learning tool I have ever come across. I hope you can gleam from it!
Absolutely, Don. I'm listening to episode 2, where he's talking about About Face by Col. Hackworth and what he learned from it. It's a little early and I haven't had any coffee yet, but the bit about learning to die was pretty powerful. And the bit about questioning everything. Lot of good stuff in the first 20 minutes. I think my favorite part is Jocko is adding to my leading list with every episode.

If you listen from the beginning like you are...you won't ever have to worry about making another reading list again!

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and coconut and coffee scrub
  • Razor: Rockwell 6S, R5
  • Blade: Same Wizamet
  • Brush: WW, 25mm plush
  • Soap: CBL Tonsorial Balsamic Oud
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, Bootleggers Arctic Lime
  • Frag: Viktor and Rolf Spicebomb
  • Music: Rufio - MCMLXXXV
I slept fairly well. Emma slept with us for the first time in a few days, which was kinda nice except that she takes forever to settle down. The drive to work was super enlightening because I was listening to Jocko podcast. Good stuff. The usual suspect showed up 11 minutes late and had nothing to say about it. Whatever, it's not my job to lose. It's gonna be a great day.

I decided to treat myself to a proper BBS shave. The solesoaping continued and helped the process. 4 passes and I'm as BBS as comfort will allow. Finished up with Spicebomb.

My picture is with The Force.

A little Rufio energy to get the day going.

I gotta go back to work. I'm anticipating something stupid happening in a few minutes, but whatever. It's gonna be a great day. I get to pretty much stay at work until 5 tomorrow. I might go home to take a nap and shower, though. Anyways. I gotta go do stuff. I wish you all a great day. Thanks for reading, Cadre.

I put a lot of pressure on myself to be the better than the least that's expected of me and expect everybody to follow suit.
It's great to expect the most out of yourself, but others are on their own paths, which may differ from yours. Sometimes the best we can do is to lead by example.

3017ing/solesoaping is my chosen method of shaving. Of course, once you add splashes, razors, blades, and brushes to the routine you are well on your way to a healthy level of OCD ;) .

On to more important things. Who cooks for the station when you're on duty?

It's great to expect the most out of yourself, but others are on their own paths, which may differ from yours. Sometimes the best we can do is to lead by example.
Good point. Realizing that will probably relieve a lot of anxiety. (y)

On to more important things. Who cooks for the station when you're on duty?
Depends on who is on and how terrible their breakfast and dinner ideas are. Either my captain or my partner.

• Pre-shave: Warm shower
  • Razor: Slim Adjustable
  • Blade: Astra SP (???)
  • Brush: Ever Ready 100 I think, I didn't look at the bottom to check because it's super difficult
  • Soap: B&M Seville
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, B&M Seville
  • Frag: none
  • Music: none
Quick entry today. About to head out to do wildland stuff.

I done goofed by not bringing my solesoap. Oops. I used my work kit. Easy 3 passes on setting 6. DFS-, but that doesn't matter.

IMG_20200107_093057.jpg

No music, just the sound of sound.

Gotta go do stuff. I hope you all have a great day. Thanks for reading, Cadre.

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and coconut and coffee scrub
  • Razor: Rockwell 6S, R5
  • Blade: Same Wizamet
  • Brush: Pea Soup
  • Soap: CBL Tonsorial Balsamic Oud
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, Sebum Purple
  • Frag: Tom. Ford. Tobacco. Oud.
  • Music: Hellions - Rue
I just got back from lunch and adventures with one of my coworkers. We tried out a new burger joint down the road. It's was pretty good, not the best but I didn't leave feeling that I didn't get my moneys worth. We helped his stepbrother real quick. Then we got some pan dulce (sweet bread). And I introduced him to my barber. My barber still thinks my name is John, but that doesn't matter.

The oops that happened yesterday doesn't matter anymore because I'm back with the solesoaping. I still haven't bloomed my soap and it's still not a problem. Surely I'm missing something. This blade doesn't feel like it used to feel, but it doesn't feel dead. I'll give this thing another shave or two to see if that was just an off shave. I used Sebum Purple so I could reassess what I said in KJ's post shave elixir thread, and I stick by it. This stuff isn't worth the cost. It's nice, but it's not definitely not worth the price. But my absolute most favorite part of my day so far is Tobacco Oud. Son of a gun this stuff is amazing. I'm definitely saving up for a full bottle. I need this in my life for the rest of my life.

IMG_20200108_111204.jpg

The lotus in my mouth has been dictating every move I make. Just human, I'm afraid.

I'm gonna warm up some of this pan dulce and go to town! Might even take a nap because I can because I've met all of my educational requirements for the foreseeable future. This is great. I hope everybody is having a beautiful day. Thanks for reading, Cadre.

Back