The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Life On the Wee Woo Box

What’d ya get from Stirling?

On the music front...I randomly got this $10 iTunes gift card and it’s been sitting in my wallet for months. Having the hardest time finding something worthwhile to pick up! The major groups I’m into now had a particular sound they’ve dived into for a single album, sounded absolutely amazing, then altered and I just can’t fully commit to their newest material. I must be getting particular in my old age :ROFLMAO:

What’d ya get from Stirling?

On the music front...I randomly got this $10 iTunes gift card and it’s been sitting in my wallet for months. Having the hardest time finding something worthwhile to pick up! The major groups I’m into now had a particular sound they’ve dived into for a single album, sounded absolutely amazing, then altered and I just can’t fully commit to their newest material. I must be getting particular in my old age :ROFLMAO:
I got soap and as samples of bay rum, port au prince, ramblin' man, and hipster, and I threw in a couple of glacial coconut and lime bath soaps. I'm sooooo stoked.

Polyphia is my suggestion for those $10! I have no idea what you listen to, but they're incredible musicians.

Polyphia is my suggestion for those $10! I have no idea what you listen to, but they're incredible musicians.
Interesting, I’ll have to dive into the samples available.

Right now I have 4 major albums I rotate between most times: El Camino by The Black Keys, How Do You Feel Now by Joywave, To Lise My Life by White Lies, and Grasp of the Undying by Pentakill. Eclectic grouping, but they hit the spot for me right now.

Hipster scent had me curious too. Look forward to your thoughts
I can't wait to get to it. I think Port au prince has me the most intrigued right now. I'm hoping for a really fresh and green, dirty scent.

Interesting, I’ll have to dive into the samples available.

Right now I have 4 major albums I rotate between most times: El Camino by The Black Keys, How Do You Feel Now by Joywave, To Lise My Life by White Lies, and Grasp of the Undying by Pentakill. Eclectic grouping, but they hit the spot for me right now.
I haven't listened to The Black Keys in a few years. I'll have to give that record a listen. As for the other bands, never heard of them, but I'll check them out.

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and apricot scrub
  • Razor: Merkur 37C
  • Blade: Polsilver (?????????)
  • Brush: Brush: That Darn Rob "Milk Glass" 26mm boar
  • Soap: Central Texas Soaps Mr. Pepper
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, Central Texas Soaps Mr. Pepper
  • Music: Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
I had terrible sleep and as much as I'd like to blame myself, I'm blaming the damn cats and my fiancee. I'm groggy as hell, but thankfully not grumpy. I have a doctor's appointment in an hour to follow up with my anxiety treatment. Let me tell you, it's no fun having to get up 8 times to pee at night while I'm trying to sleep at work.

I tossed the Treet Silver and put this Polsilver that was lying on the counter. What could go wrong?! I'm pretty sure this is number 3 on this particular blade, but I'm too lazy to look back. I'm thinking I might go vintage tomorrow.

My favorite boar in da house! I always look forward to using it. I'm tempted to buy a knot from Rob and put it in an empty handle I have lying around.

Yes, I decided that I want to smell like Dr. Pepper today, I'm Texan, leave me alone! This is absolutely a novelty scent. You would never catch me at work with this stuff on, but I'm not at work and I have nothing to do today aside from my appointment.

I found myself chasing and I paid for it under my chin. I don't know how I forget that I will likely never get bbs and it will almost certainly end horribly. There are a couple of whiskers under my chin that are probably made of diamond and have insane magnetic fields with charges opposite of my gear. And to top it off I had a bit of a reaction to the soap and splash. Smh. Oh well.

PSX_20190528_080354.jpg

For some reason it felt like I was waking up for school when I was 16, so I decided to listen to some nostalgia. This is one of my all time favorite records and I enjoy it every time I hear it. They've had a decent lineup change that I'm not super fond of, but that's none of my damn business.

One of my cats is reminding me that I have to leave in a couple of minutes. I hope you all have a great day.

You mean there are some things a good shave can't fix? Hope all goes well today. And I guess if nothing else it sounds like you might be able to sneak a nap in if approved by the cats.

You mean there are some things a good shave can't fix? Hope all goes well today. And I guess if nothing else it sounds like you might be able to sneak a nap in if approved by the cats.
The cats didn't approve. I ended up going over to am old supervisor's apartment to help out fixing up her bike and drink. Just as relaxing. Good thing she lives within a hundred yards. Haha

That’s a lot going on in one rest session! Hope you get better rest tonight!
Gracias, me too. Tomorrow is going to be a pain too.

By the way, Nice Bow Tie Ben. You need to put a pic in the Selfie Thread (y)
Thanks, but I'm not very fond of taking pictures of myself. I'll post whatever the next appropriate picture the ball and chain takes of me.

Mail call. I'm gonna attempt to restore this Ever Ready 200T. I think, assuming I don't burn my apartment down in the process, a SHD Maggard knot would be a nice addition. Not bad for $15 shipped, and it gave me a reason to buy a Dremel.

I cut the bristles off before I thought to take a picture and share. You're not missing anything.

IMG_20190530_202927.jpg

IMG_20190530_202938.jpg

• Razor: Gillette Red Tip, C1
  • Blade: Polsilver (?)
  • Brush: Mozingo Brushworks with Maggard 24mm 50/50 boar/badger knot
  • Soap: CBL Soaps Ghost Dragon's Blood
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Witch Hazel, Ginger's Garden Dragon's Blood (not pictured)
  • Music: The Wonder Years - Suburbia I've Given You All And Now I'm Nothing
My Monday is here, and it's Friday. I'm a little salty that I had to spend 2 hours at an in-service that basically suggested that I'd be better at my job if I answered the phone while smiling. Whatever, it's going to be a great day when I get some coffee in me.

I felt like mixing it up a bit. I've had this red tip for a couple of years and it hasn't done me wrong.

I'm a fan of this knot. It has just enough scrub and just enough softness to make it interesting. I've gotten some pretty good lathers from this baby.

It's going to be hot today and I'll be outside exactly all day because somebody decided it was a good idea to wash all the vehicles and bay on Fridays. That in mind, I grabbed for one of the coolest soaps I have.

This was one hell of a shave. The soap is incredible. I think everybody that has tried CBL Soaps knows how fantastic they are. I got a damn near bbs with no irritation. I had a weeper, but no big deal. I actually had forgotten how aggressive this razor is, but it didn't give me any trouble. Didn't need the witch hazel, but I did it anyway. I ended up putting on some Ginger's Garden Dragon's Blood aftershave. I poured a lot too much failing to realize its consistency. Oh well.

PSX_20190530_221222.jpg

I adore The Wonder Years. This album in particular is partially responsible for helping me get through being a hopeless young adult. I tear up when You Made Me Want To Be A Saint because it reminds me of a friend that died jumping in front of a gun to save a woman. I had been helping him get his life together and then that happened, so I'm still a little sore over it after about 5 years.

A little update on the restoration. I got the knot out and managed to do minimal damage to the handle. It's curious that there's a plastic part around the knot that came out after the knot. It seems that part held the knot. I'll keep that in mind for the next project, as it might make things a lot easier. Now to order the knot and clean up the handle while I'm waiting.

I hope everybody had a tolerable week with great shaves, I know a couple of you had some amazing shaves. Enjoy your weekend!

Oh man! Ghost Dragon's Blood is one of my favorites. And you are right about CBL Soaps...man they are damn good!

Come one Ben! A smile makes you work that much better! I can feel it already! 🤣

• Razor: Gillette Red Tip C1
  • Blade: Polsilver (???)
  • Brush: Prometheus Handcrafts "Cloud" 26mm tuxedo
  • Soap: Stirling Soap Co Port-au-Prince
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, Stirling Soap Co Port-au-Prince
  • Music: Four Year Strong - Enemy Of The World
It's Sunday and I know most of you are bummed that you're going back to work tomorrow, but it's not the end of the world I hope. I get to be lazy and nap all day if I so choose, so it's like I'm at home, but I'm getting paid.

Basically, I'm using the same metal stuff from my last shave because of the usual reasons. And I got a great shave from this stuff, so I'm not complaining.

I love this brush. Not a whole lot more to report on the subject.

I had my Stirling order come in yesterday and I was beyond impressed, and will ultimately be an expensive order because I love everything that I bought. Port-au-Prince sticks out for today because of how fresh it is. The lemongrass peeks out just enough to give the Haitian vetiver a little contrast without sacrificing that fresh green scent that vetiver has. Rod knocked this scent out of the dang park. I will be buying a set without a doubt.

I didn't realize that this has mutton tallow, and I'm not sure if that's what made the shave better. The first thing I noticed was that is felt like I wasn't taking off any hair, felt to see if it actually wasn't, and sure enough, smooth as heck. This seemed more protective and slick than the beef tallow base. I got a damn good shave. I missed a couple of spots for closeness, but I still enjoyed it. I did get a reaction from the splash, so I'm thinking that I might dilute it with some witch hazel and try it again. Despite the reaction, I'm very pleased with my shave and the products used.

PSX_20190601_220458.jpg

Enemy Of The World is upbeat and just what I needed to get me up today. Four Year Strong is another one of the bands that came out of the easycore era alive, although they've since changed up their style and departed from the breakdowns. Good tunes for a good day.

I hope everybody is having a relaxing weekend. Brace yourselves for Monday!

Back