The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Life On the Wee Woo Box

Always good when the blood stays put!

Interesting band name lol, makes me think of the Goonies. Probably no relation on the name though?

I almost can't tell if you're happy or disappointed with that BBS.

Always good when the blood stays put!

Interesting band name lol, makes me think of the Goonies. Probably no relation on the name though?
That's exactly where the name came from. I'm sure they're fans. Haha

I almost can't tell if you're happy or disappointed with that BBS.
I blame that on writing a bunch of incredibly objective PCRs, and my love for ambiguity.

Great shave on Friday! Nice pic too with the pop of color on the black and white! Easycore, huh...I'll have to check some out. I am pretty adventurous when it comes to music and this seems to be something that I actually might like! Oh, and it is always nice when the missus can play along in the shaving game! ;) Hope you have some relaxing time off!

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and apricot scrub
  • Razor: Rockwell 6S, R4
  • Blade: Polsilver (3)
  • Brush: Prometheus Handcrafts "Cloud" 26mm tuxedo
  • Soap: Reef Point Soaps Aviator
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, Reef Point Soaps Aviator
  • Music: With The Punches - It's Not The End Of The World EP
I meant to shave when I got home yesterday, but I ended up going straight to bed and waking up at 4pm. The stress of being at work with no true supervisor and having a frantic partner took a lot out of me, even though we didn't do much.

No new metal stuff again. I'm thinking about doing Feather tomorrow; we'll see.

I got this bad boy in on Friday. I instantly fell in love with it. It fits great in my hand and the colors are perfect and are what inspired today's theme.

In hindsight I feel I should've given Reef Point more love. I had nothing but incredible shaves from Aviator and there were a couple of others screaming my name. Oh well. I'm going to hold on to this stuff as long as possible.

I had one hell of a shave. I had forgotten how slick and creamy Reef Point Soaps can get. I felt pretty comfortable making four passes for a 98% bbs result. I had a little weeper, no big deal. The real test was the splash. I only had a little sting under my chin, which is the best I've gotten in a while. The scent is perfect for a Sunday, nice and fresh.

PSX_20190519_105732.jpg

Today's music is inspired by @dangerousdon and being interested in hearing more easycore. I'm sad to report that With The Punches hasn't made any music in quite some time, but I love everything they've released. They play a couple of shows a year for fun, which gives me hope for new music eventually.

I hope everybody is having a great weekend.

You need to be posting this stuff in the What’s in your Headphones thread. Link those videos so we can hear what you’re listening to.
I need to explore more. I feel like I haven't found quite a few interesting threads.

• Razor: Rockwell 6S, R4
  • Blade: Polsilver (4)
  • Brush: Prometheus Handcrafts "Cloud" 26mm tuxedo
  • Soap: Abbate y la Mantia Don Jose
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, Abbate y la Mantia Don Jose
  • Music: Glassjaw - Worship and Tribute
It's Monday again. I have nothing to do today but day drink responsibly with a former coworker/intellectual twin. Beyond that, we got a fancy new TV last night that is begging to be used to play BFV.

Same razor and blade combo because it's already like that. Why risk cutting my precious, money-making fingers when I don't really need to?

It's not too often that I use the same brush on consecutive shaves, but this might be my second favorite brush based on the beauty alone. Tuxedo knot, yeah, yeah, whatever. The colors are exquisite! Maybe I feel that way because my favorite color is blue. Moving on.

I was thoroughly impressed by the Abbate y la Mantia packaging. I'm not as impressed by the performance from what I remember, but I'm grabbing this for the scent. I'm a huge lover of coconut, not so much banana, but this is perfect for summer, which has essentially arrived in Texas.

I had a damn decent shave, about 98% bbs again. I managed to whip up a decent lather of whipped cream consistency, better than I remembered. Decent slickness, nothing to write home about. I'm pretty happy with the result.

PSX_20190520_103506.jpg

We're jamming Glassjaw today. I don't even remember how many bands I've posted that don't exist anymore, add this one too the list. I actually hadn't listened to them until late last year. This album in particular is probably the most commercially successful, and for a reason. Tons of energy left, right, and center.

Let's have a great start to the week. Happy EMS Week to my fellow medics; I hope you get tons of goodies from the hospitals you transport to.

Enjoy the down time!

I’m a huge CoD4 fan, but I regret not picking up BFV (I assume this meant Battlefield V?) when it was on sale at half price a bit ago. Haven’t tried any of the BF series yet.

Enjoy the down time!

I’m a huge CoD4 fan, but I regret not picking up BFV (I assume this meant Battlefield V?) when it was on sale at half price a bit ago. Haven’t tried any of the BF series yet.
One of my fraternity brothers got nauseous playing BF3. Lol. BFV has more to offer in different game modes than past games. If you find a copy on sale again pick it up.

• Razor: Merkur 37C
  • Blade: Treet Silver (1)
  • Brush: Vie-Long 12705 24mm horse hair (~35% mane, ~65% tail)
  • Soap: Stirling Soap Co. Stirling Gentleman
  • Aftershave: Stirling Soap Co. Stirling Gentleman
  • Music: Silent Planet - Everything Was Sound
My Monday has arrived and I have been requested to be at work an hour early. And it's lawn day. I feel psychologically prepared for the nonsense that is guaranteed to come. Aaaaand what nonsense I have found myself to be in. Roll with the punches I shall.

I'm switching up the metal stuff because I'm in charge of this shave! I've been curious to see what this combination could do.

My first and only horse hair brush. I hardly ever use it because it's not broken in and has an incredible amount of scritch. I'm throwing caution to the wind.

Stirling Gentleman was one of the first samples that I got when I decided to try more than Proraso. I fell in love with it instantly. To this day it's still one of my favorite scents.

The results were better than expected. I had quite a bit of trouble getting a lather going with this brush. Actually, I had a lot of trouble with the lather. Now I remember why I don't use it much. The soap and splash worked beautifully. Not even a touch of sting when I put the splash on, which surprised me because I'm usually pretty heavy-handed when it comes to everything but my job.

PSX_20190522_045801.jpg

Silent Planet is one of the most cerebral bands that I listen to. Not only is the music slightly progressive, the lyrics are very intelligent, drawing inspiration from different experiences and works of art. Panic Room was the first song to catch my attention, first for the music, then for the lyrics. Panic Room was inspired by a friend of the band and the PTSD acquired while deployed overseas. The lyrics do an immaculate job of painting a picture of terror and dispair that I'm all too familiar with. If you don't mind a little (a lot) of screaming, give them a listen.

It's hump day! The week is almost done! Have a great day, cadre!

Well, normally I leave you kids to your music, but this one sounded interesting. So I pull it up and I'm getting yelled at! Kidz...

Nice SOTD pic! It does highlight one thing I dislike about the Thayers bottles though, besides the flimsy cap hinge...the label! Oh the ugly wrinkles!

Back