The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Life On the Wee Woo Box

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and coconut and coffee scrub
  • Razor: Merkur Progress
  • Blade: There's an app for this...
  • Brush: American
  • Soap: B&M Reserve Waves
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, B&M Reserve Waves
  • Frag: none
  • Music: Streetlight Manifesto - Everything Goes Numb
We're back at work for the last day of the tour. The first two shifts have been a little rocky. I had a feeling that the sketchy stuff was gonna start happening more often, but I'd prefer it if the trend stopped today. I'll handle whatever comes my way, though.

I have an app to keep track of blade usages and is going unused because who knows. I keep forgetting I have it until I'm typing up my entry, then promptly forget again. I just looked and I haven't used it since September. Anyway. Waves is nice, but I don't grab it as often because I have better smelling stuff. I got a barely not BBS shave again, which is nice because there was no drama and it was effortless. I got a compliment on the scent first thing in the morning.

PSX_20191228_095904.jpg

I was listening to Streetlight yesterday morning while I finished up my reports and the mood continued. A Moment Of Violence stuck out to me for some reason; maybe I just needed a fast song.

Breakfast is done and we're back at station. It's going to be as lazy a day as the call volume will allow. I'm still recouping from passing my damn exam emotionally, the excitement really took a lot out of me, but reality is setting in again. Venessa wants to go watch Star Wars tomorrow, so that will probably happen. I think that's it for this entry. I hope everybody has a great day! Thanks for reading, Cadre.

Hope it’s smooth shift! (Sorry if that’s bad luck to say)

What’s that aromatherapy bottle in the back? Anything good?

Venessa wants to go watch Star Wars tomorrow, so that will probably happen.
You don’t? Not SW fan?

Hope it’s smooth shift! (Sorry if that’s bad luck to say)

What’s that aromatherapy bottle in the back? Anything good?

You don’t? Not SW fan?
Thanks, Chris! I'm not really superstitious like that. If somebody is going to call 911, they're going to do it no matter what.

It is "Sleep" which is black chamomile. One of my coworkers put some on one night and I knew I needed it. It's incredibly relaxing. I should probably use it more often.

I absolutely...was. I understand the cultural significance of it all, but I'm over the hoopla. I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but I'd need to sit down and properly watch everything, which I haven't done yet. I'm a bad geek.

[longish drivel to follow]

I was 13 when Star Wars (NO episode number!!!!) hit the big screens in 1977. I was a fledgling SF/fantasy fan and this movie blew me away. The opening scene with that HUGE ship flying over my head, the rumble of the speakers (some in front, some behind, IIRC, but not surround sound) as it passed "overhead", and I was constantly asking my cousin, who'd seen it a week or two earlier, "Is that the Death Star?"
I saw it in our hometown 1-screen movie theater, which was still used for theater, and was so ornate. In the 80s, it got cut in half to make two screens, and while cool surround sound added, the beautifully elegant ornate ceiling and chandelier was hidden by drop in acoustic tiles. Still, the first 3 films were phenomenal, although I distinctly remember being disillusioned by the inept Stormtroopers, succumbing to Ewoks!! They (SS) were so deadly in the first two films.

I agree with @MilkCrate , epi 7 felt like a remake, so much so that I have skipped epi 8. An SF writer I like and tend to agree with his blogging posts reviewed 9 and said good but frantically paced. So much ground to cover. If any film deserved to be 10 minutes longer or so, he writes, it was this one. Still, Disney has been doing a good job with the franchise. I really enjoyed the Rogue Squadron movie when I saw it.

But as @bentheduck said, I too was a huge fan. But now I will enjoy it, maybe, and just cherish those teenage memories of the early films!!

[longish drivel to follow]

I was 13 when Star Wars (NO episode number!!!!) hit the big screens in 1977. I was a fledgling SF/fantasy fan and this movie blew me away. The opening scene with that HUGE ship flying over my head, the rumble of the speakers (some in front, some behind, IIRC, but not surround sound) as it passed "overhead", and I was constantly asking my cousin, who'd seen it a week or two earlier, "Is that the Death Star?"
I saw it in our hometown 1-screen movie theater, which was still used for theater, and was so ornate. In the 80s, it got cut in half to make two screens, and while cool surround sound added, the beautifully elegant ornate ceiling and chandelier was hidden by drop in acoustic tiles. Still, the first 3 films were phenomenal, although I distinctly remember being disillusioned by the inept Stormtroopers, succumbing to Ewoks!! They (SS) were so deadly in the first two films.

I agree with @MilkCrate , epi 7 felt like a remake, so much so that I have skipped epi 8. An SF writer I like and tend to agree with his blogging posts reviewed 9 and said good but frantically paced. So much ground to cover. If any film deserved to be 10 minutes longer or so, he writes, it was this one. Still, Disney has been doing a good job with the franchise. I really enjoyed the Rogue Squadron movie when I saw it.

But as @bentheduck said, I too was a huge fan. But now I will enjoy it, maybe, and just cherish those teenage memories of the early films!!
It's that magic that the first 3 had that I feel is missing now. Maybe I'm out of tune with the franchise right now or maybe I'm not paying attention, but it just kinda feels like just another movie, not so much an experience.

Yup, that is it, it feels that way to me also. The later Star Trek movies feel that way, also. The Wrath of Kahn did for trekkies what Star Wars did for sci-fi movies. After the Save The Whales movie (I forget its actual title, but loved the film!), they became just another movie to me. As a teen ST and SW were the Best, and The Lord of the Rings books are still my top fantasy books. The movie version was great, but the books are the best. The Hobbit trilogy movies I have not seen, for as a purist for Tolkien, I can't live with the additions to those films. I don't know for fact that the additions are made up, but I also haven't invested any effort to prove my case!

In any event, enjoy your time with family and friends, for that is what it is all about, right?!

For me, SW, it’s definitely the originals IV/V/VI and Rogue One, then VII/VIII and Solo, and prequels in heat for dead last. Rogue One was outstanding for me and really captured the feeling of the “awe” and adventure of the originals.

In any event, enjoy your time with family and friends, for that is what it is all about, right?!
That's what it all comes down to!

For me, SW, it’s definitely the originals IV/V/VI and Rogue One, then VII/VIII and Solo, and prequels in heat for dead last. Rogue One was outstanding for me and really captured the feeling of the “awe” and adventure of the originals.
I somehow enjoyed the prequels. And Clone Wars was awesome. I'll have to go back and watch Rogue One because I definitely wasn't paying attention through that one.

Great stuff, Ben. I really like the B&M Reserve base, and have Waves in a water base pomade.

Great stuff, Ben. I really like the B&M Reserve base, and have Waves in a water base pomade.
Thanks, Eric. It's not a love scent, but I can definitely appreciate it. Venessa loves it and she bought it for me after I wouldn't shut up about it. Lol. I've been thinking about those pomades. Are they any good?

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and coconut and coffee scrub
  • Razor: Rockwell 6S, R6
  • Blade: Wizamet (???)
  • Brush: Marmalade on burnt toast
  • Soap: B&M Behold The Whatsis
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, B&M Behold The Whatsis
  • Frag: none
  • Music: none
Just woke up from my post work nap. It was a good shift for the most part. People are dumb, but that's not a new thing, nor will it ever stop. I'll be finishing up some work stuff over the next couple of days. We'll see where life takes me.

I felt like it was a Saturday morning and I was kid again for some reason. This is a great nostalgia scent. Excelsior did its thang. The video I made might be up later today if I remember it exists. Could've had a better result, but only just.

IMG_20191229_085609.jpg

No music today. My cats ate it.

I'm gonna enjoy what's left of today. I hope everybody is having a great day. Thanks for reading, Cadre.

Back