The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Life On the Wee Woo Box

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and coconut and coffee scrub
  • Razor: Schick G-8
  • Blade: Proline (2)
  • Brush: Merit 99-4
  • Soap: Oleo No 11
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, Oleo No 11
  • Frag: none
  • Music: Stray From The Path - Internal Atomics
I'm back at work, it's a short week, but an exciting one. Thank you all for the kind words and congratulations, it means a lot. I'm going back home with Venessa on Friday so I get to surprise my mom for her birthday.

I'm a little disappointed in today's shave. I had high hopes, but they fell flat. Some of it was because I felt rushed. Note to self: Day drinking the day before work doesn't work out like it did when I was 21 anymore. I feel a lot of it was because the knot needs quite a bit of breaking in. And I underloaded. And it kinda just all around sucked. I ultimately got what I desired, but there was irritated involved. Meh. DFS. This stuff smells soooooo good.

This is not the picture you are looking for.

Felt like a SFTP day so I made it happen.

I'm excited to be at work, but I'm really looking forward to going back home because my stomach has been giving me fits for the past couple of days, also there's some workplace drama going on that I don't care for so I'd be okay without it. I think that's about it for today's entry. Again, thank you all for the love and support, Cadre.

Short week! Woohoo! Let those drama queens cater to themselves, you’re high above all that hot mess.

Hey, do you get a new name tag? Or a "paramedic" jacket? Or something cool like that?

Hey, do you get a new name tag? Or a "paramedic" jacket? Or something cool like that?
I get new tshirts with FF/EMT-P on them in the very near future to replace my FF/EMT-I. We're getting embroidered jobshirts and polos too, all with my new title. I will also have my paramedic patch sewn onto my dress shirt for whatever ceremonies I might have to attend.

Intermediate. It's between EMT-Basic and EMT-Paramedic. It recently got renamed AEMT, A for advanced to reflect that they do more advanced interventions than basics, but not quite as much as a paramedic.
That's complicated. What do you think of a national standard for various EMT and Paramedic levels?

That's complicated. What do you think of a national standard for various EMT and Paramedic levels?
It makes sense to me, but Texas actively uses all three levels, while other states are eliminating the AEMT position entirely. It makes a lot of sense in Texas, particularly in super rural parts that might not draw the interest of a lot of people; the more rural, the less likely you are to find a paramedic. So naturally the next best thing is the AEMT, then EMT. Texas also gives Medical Directors discretion to do whatever they feel comfortable allowing people to do under their license, which also works out in favor of rural areas that might not always have a paramedic available.

As for the national standard, or NREMT standards, I agree with most of them. The one thing that I'm not a huge fan of us going away from ET intubation. The numbers are showing that EMS as a whole isn't very good at intubating and very good at not recognizing it. I get it, but I'm competent enough to recognize my failures and activate a contingency.

Oh man, I can go on about this for hours. Lol

Last edited:
If you can’t intubate it’s just BVM all the way to the hospital?

If you can’t intubate it’s just BVM all the way to the hospital?
Depending on how the patient presents. If it's CPR and you can't drop a tube, there's no shame in a supraglottic airway...anymore. But I've had a patient that was circling the drain and all I had time to do was bag, didn't even get vitals. Get what you can and jet. I also have PAI with either Versed or Ketamine in my protocols if the situation requires it. We also carry Rocuronium and Etomidate for RSI, but I think we're starting to lean towards PAI due to better patient outcomes, specifically in trauma.

Oh, I thought you were saying you couldn’t intubate at all.

Ohhhhhh. I guess this is where Bruce also got confused too. So national standard of care as it currently is only has paramedics intubating, but they're trying to take that away too. I dunno if I'm even answering the question. Lol. I woke up at 5 and I didn't get good rest, so I'm weary.

Back