The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Life On the Wee Woo Box

No shave today. Just a tidbit about my morning, which is surprisingly lacking in grumpiness.

I went to an EMS breakfast seminar thingy about long bone fractures and learned a lot in an hour. It's easy to get complacent when everybody else is complacent. Once I've passed my test I plan on doing deep research on a drug that we carry every week. After that, it'll be learning vasculature, nerves, bones, and tie all that stuff together. Paramedic school taught me how to be an entry level paramedic, I'm gonna ensure that over time I become an expert paramedic. It's the little things that spark my interest.

Alright I'm off my soapbox. Time for a nap.
Very ambitious. You're dead on regarding complacency. It's so easy to set the load down when it seems like others are. Just makes it twice as heavy when you realize what you're doing and pick it back up lol.

Would a hospital let you tag along with a supervisor in an ER Ben? That’ll pro you up fast.

Would a hospital let you tag along with a supervisor in an ER Ben? That’ll pro you up fast.
Oddly enough, I've already done that. I had to do like 120 hours or something like that in the ER for paramedic school. I learned quite a bit from nurses and doctors, but it's easy different than doing things in the back of an ambulance and substantially fewer resources on hand. On the other hand, one of my solutions has been just asking the ER docs what the heck I just brought them and ask if there was anything better I could've done. But it's not fair to rely on them for my progress, I need to do more work on my own.

I applaud you for wanting to be the best Paramedic you possibly can be. But there is no better teacher than experience. I know it's a cliche...but it's true. Pay attention to what happens daily. Learn from your mistakes. Keep up on the latest science and procedures. Talk to those that are in the "know." And if you really want learn more...maybe volunteer with organizations that can really use your skills. The last can be very rewarding and a great teacher!

I applaud you for wanting to be the best Paramedic you possibly can be. But there is no better teacher than experience. I know it's a cliche...but it's true. Pay attention to what happens daily. Learn from your mistakes. Keep up on the latest science and procedures. Talk to those that are in the "know." And if you really want learn more...maybe volunteer with organizations that can really use your skills. The last can be very rewarding and a great teacher!
You're absolutely right. I'm doing my part to stay in the know, but experience is the ticket. I think I'll ultimately be alright I'm the long run, but I'm understandably scared out of my mind. 🤣

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and coconut and coffee scrub
  • Razor: Progress
  • Blade: Astra SP, new
  • Brush: Stirling boar
  • Soap: Stirling Port-au-Prince
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original
  • Frag: Prada Carbon Luna Rossa
  • Music: letlive - Fake History
I'm back at work for the last day of the tour. Some stuff reportedly happened yesterday, but that's not my problem today. One thing I will complain about today is overstock. People keep putting stuff on the truck that's already there without telling anybody, so when we go to the supply room it looks like we're out, but we're really not. I don't even know how many times I've found extra stuff that we've had to reorder because nobody knew it was hidden on the truck where it doesn't belong. Nobody needs 3 bottles of nitro, we don't use it that often. And scene! It's gonna be a good day, though.

Back to the 3017ing. I think it'll be another week before it's all gone. I've been blooming it to soften it up for the boar to eat faster. I almost forgot to switch out the old GSB. Astra's have proven to be solid blades to use, while not perfect for me, they're no slouch. I'm still not super sure what setting I have it on, maybe 4? I've dialed the aggressiveness back a bit so I can get used to it properly. 3.5 passes and I'm DFS. I almost forgot to use an aftershave product and ended up throwing on some Thayer's before walking out the door.

My phone ate my homework.

Letlive was a band featuring Jason Butler. I prefer the album after this one, but this one is still phenomenal.

I sense that I have stuff to do, namely study. I hope you're as dry and warm as possible on this beautiful whatever day it is. Thanks for reading, Cadre.

Dude, don't make me come over there!! I know you're going to say there is. But don't you guys have an inventory list for the rig that should be checked at the beginning and end of each shift? I ideally by one person from the off-going and one from the on-coming crew at the same time. I share your frustration remotely. This is basic stuff that shouldn't be an ongoing issue. That's it, now I'm fired up. I'm grabbing my hard hat and coming over!

Paramedic school taught me how to be an entry level paramedic, I'm gonna ensure that over time I become an expert paramedic. It's the little things that spark my interest.
One thing I've come to appreciate in nursing is that I will never stop learning new things. When I last worked in an ICU there was a nurse who believed she knew it all. She always made me nervous, because she had no clue what she didn't know. Good on you for constantly improving. In health care, change occurs all of the time. If we embrace change and keep current, we can best help those who need us most in their most desperate hours.

Dude, don't make me come over there!! I know you're going to say there is. But don't you guys have an inventory list for the rig that should be checked at the beginning and end of each shift? I ideally by one person from the off-going and one from the on-coming crew at the same time. I share your frustration remotely. This is basic stuff that shouldn't be an ongoing issue. That's it, now I'm fired up. I'm grabbing my hard hat and coming over!
Come get em, Dave!

One thing I've come to appreciate in nursing is that I will never stop learning new things. When I last worked in an ICU there was a nurse who believed she knew it all. She always made me nervous, because she had no clue what she didn't know. Good on you for constantly improving. In health care, change occurs all of the time. If we embrace change and keep current, we can best help those who need us most in their most desperate hours.
I know just enough to know that I don't know anything, and that's probably the best thing for me to know.

Git er dun Ben! Hope it goes smoothly! Ignore that NurseBoss guy...he sits as a desk pushing paper around all day. :p
Somebody has to do it! 🤣

Back