The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Life On the Wee Woo Box

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and coconut and coffee scrub
  • Razor: Schick G-8
  • Blade: Chick (???)
  • Brush: C-MON Deluxe 77-4
  • Soap: Oleo No. 11
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, Oleo No. 11
  • Frag: none
  • Music: Fever 333 - Strength In Numb333rs
I'm not even gonna talk about work. Same stuff, different day. I'm planning on spending the day relaxing as best I can, free from studying. I might even enjoy an adult beverage too.

I'm getting really bad about posting my mail calls. No. 11 came in a few days ago, but it's been sitting in the office because of Thanksgiving and me being at work. My first impression before lathering is the scent is really light out of the tub. It definitely opens up when lathered to about a 3/5. It's a nice clean scent. I don't know if I would describe this as a traditional barbershop, but I get a barbershop vibe from it. This is of course Vida's interpretation of At The Barber's by Maison Martin Margiela. I dig it. I'm 80% sure that this is going to be a frag buy and I know I won't regret it. That's one of the nice things about having soaps that are clones, dupes, inspired by, whatever you want to call them, you get a chance to smell something incredibly close if not spot on at more often than not a substantially lower cost to see if you like it. I guess you could buy samples, but I might as well kill two birds. Two passes today, so I'm reasonably close with the jectah. One thing that caught my attention is that the splash is definitely more leather forward, but not in a bad way at all. This was a very pleasant shave.

PSX_20191130_103301.jpg

I think I mentioned Jason Butler a couple of days ago. Powerful music with powerful messages.

I'm off to enjoy my what I think might be Saturday, and I hope you all do the same. Thanks for reading, Cadre.

Nice shave and review. It’s Saturday! Take the day for yourself and relax brother. You’ve earned it.

Breath in, breath out. Breath in, breath out. Breath in, breath out. Breath in, breath out. Now hydrate !!!!!!!
So you want me to keep breathing while I drink water??? Dave, I'm no expert, but I think that's the most brilliant thing ever! 🤪

Great shave, and nice description of the soap. I like nontraditional barbershop scents, like Penhaligon's Sartorial and MDCI Invasion Barbare

• Razor: Merkur Progress
  • Blade: I don't even know anymore. Probably still the same GSB?
  • Brush: Stirling boar
  • Soap: CBL Roasted Oatmeal Stout
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original
  • Frag: Mercedes Benz Man Grey
  • Music: Latin For Truth - Eleven Eleven
It's Sunday and the last day of the tour. It might be a long day, hopefully not. It's not looking promising, know it all said that the tigerfish isn't a thing like I haven't seen that episode of River Monsters. Whatever. I'll make the best of the day.

It's Sunday so I just went with the essential ROS. Because reasons. This blade continues on strongly, and is still plenty sharp because I managed to nick myself...twice. I'm definitely regressing a little bit, but I'm blaming sleepy eyes today. DFS+. I doused myself in Mercedes because it's amazing.

PSX_20191201_092558.jpg

A throwback to the early part of the decade. Latin For Truth is gone, but not forgotten. You can hear how much fun they were having in the music, and it spreads to the listener.

Breakfast is ready, but Medic 2 is at the hospital dropping off so we're waiting to eat as a family. I think I'll enjoy a Cherry Pepsi while they do their thing. I wish you all a great Sunday. Thanks for reading, Cadre.

Great shave, and nice description of the soap. I like nontraditional barbershop scents, like Penhaligon's Sartorial and MDCI Invasion Barbare
Sartorial is my jam. Honestly I don't know exactly what a traditional barbershop is supposed to smell like because all the "traditional" barbershops are different. Maybe I don't have enough of them to know?

Sartorial is my jam. Honestly I don't know exactly what a traditional barbershop is supposed to smell like because all the "traditional" barbershops are different. Maybe I don't have enough of them to know?
It's mostly used to describe the type of aftershave that barbers used when(insert name here) was a kid in(insert location here). It can cover a wide range of scents depending on what area/country you're in. I always equate it to Clubman, Brut, Azarro Pour Homme, and the like. Think Lavender and citrus up top and plenty of Oakmoss in the base, with plenty of variation in between.

I laughed way too hard at that.

Have a great day and enjoy breakfast with the “family”.
It was an alright breakfast. We were interrupted, but that's alright.

It's mostly used to describe the type of aftershave that barbers used when(insert name here) was a kid in(insert location here). It can cover a wide range of scents depending on what area/country you're in. I always equate it to Clubman, Brut, Azarro Pour Homme, and the like. Think Lavender and citrus up top and plenty of Oakmoss in the base, with plenty of variation in between.
Clubman is the truest barbershop for me because that's all I grew up smelling in the barbershops I went to. Wet shaving changed the game completely.

• Razor: Rockwell 6S, R6
  • Blade: Looks like it could be a Wizamet. I think this is the second use
  • Brush: TDR Gael I think.
  • Soap: B&M Roam
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, Derby City Winter Reserve
  • Frag: Mercedes Benz Man Grey
  • Music: Latin For Truth - Eleven Eleven
Whew it's been a weird day I think....from what I remember. Work required quite a bit of patience and I'll just leave it at that. I'm getting kinda tired of complaining about work so I'll be dialing that back a bunch. I got home at a reasonable hour for the first time in a couple of months, so that's cool. I had a lunch date with a former coworker, but she didn't show up. She called me back hours later; she had to work because one of her coworkers died. I took a nap with the babies, which was nice. Then the union meeting that started an hour late. Really nothing productive there, but elections are open and we're gonna start voting. I think I'm on the ballot for the Treasurer position, I dunno, I wasn't there for nominations. Jerks didn't even ask me if I wanted to do it. But I'll do it if I'm elected, which is pretty likely.

It's a lot cooler in my corner of Texas and it felt like a good day to use Roam. I don't know why, but it fits. I'm not entirely sure when I put this blade in, but I'm assuming it's a Wizamet because there was a box lying next to the Rockwell. It's quacking like a du....me. 3.5 passes and I'm DFS+. Couldn't go wrong with a couple glugs of Winter Reserve.

IMG_20191202_081623.jpg

Another day of Latin For Truth. Catchy tunes.

Venessa should be home soon and we're making nachos for dinner. Yeah, I know, weird. I dunno, I just work here. I hope everybody had a great day. Thanks for reading, Cadre.

Last edited:
Back