The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Life On the Wee Woo Box

Nice shave and that razor looks great!

So ... how do your cats react to The Veg?
I don't think they're gonna confuse me for their litter box any time soon...I hope.

I hear you on the work frustration front. One of the newer guys at my work has one job to do. Just one. And he still manages to not do it. I'd kill to have my responsibilities pared down to that number. But what are you gonna do? I can either let it eat at me, or I can just focus on doing my job the best I can and let the rest lay where it falls.
That sounds like a great way to go about things. A benefit of working where I do is that nobody is trying to kick me out after my shift ends. I hang out for about an hour and decompress so that I leave as much of my work frustration as possible at work. The Cadre gets most of what's left, and Venessa hears very little of my complaining about work. It's great. At some point I'll mature enough to just let that nonsense roll off my shoulder.

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and coconut and coffee scrub
  • Razor: Merkur Progress
  • Blade: GSB (4)
  • Brush: Klenzo, 26mm tuxedo-style
  • Soap: Stirling Gentleman
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, Stirling Gentleman
  • Frag: Prada Carbon Luna Rossa
  • Music: Stray From The Path - Internal Atomics
Today has started and we're one day away from my exam. I'm scared. I don't think I have any reason to be scared, though. I'm probably the most knowledgeable one in my class, and I retain information ridiculously well. I guess we'll find out tomorrow. I made a video with a purpose for the first time ever, so that's cool I guess. It'll be uploaded when I get home from lunch.

The soap and brush were picked to help out @Shavin’ Yeti in his pursuit of gave lathering. It made sense to pick Stirling and a synthetic since that's what he uses. There's no real method to the madness beyond that. The video is uploading right now. (This is what happens when I start writing my journal and get caught up in doing stuff.) I'm DFS+. This frag is a sample that I got last week and this is easily another full bottle buy. It smells like it could be unisex because of how sweet it is, but it's still retains some masculinity. I don't know enough about fragrances to tell you what my nose is telling me what I like about it. It just smells phenomenal.

PSX_20191124_152905.jpg

I was in another SFTP mood. Definitely not a band for everybody with all that nonsense screaming.

I think that's it. I just got back from Home Depot after lunch with one of my coworkers, the one I've taken under my medical wing. Back to studying. I hope everybody is having a great weekend. Thanks for reading, Cadre.

Edit: Apparently my nose doesn't know the difference between spicy and sweet until after I read the notes. Geez. Yeah, it's closer to masculine than I initially thought. The pepper really brings out the amber. Still smells phenomenal.

Last edited:
  • Razor: Merkur Progress
  • Blade: GSB (5)
  • Brush: Pea Soup
  • Soap: DG/CL Unconditional Surrender
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, DG/CL Unconditional Surrender
  • Frag: none
  • Music: Architects - All Our Gods Have Abandoned Us
Just got back from my exam. I passed. I needed a 75, and I got an 82. I don't think anybody quite understands the amount of stress has been relieved. This nonsense has been hanging over my head for a year and a half and it's done now. The last obstacle is the one that really counts for the whole thing, the last exam that gives me my certification. Given all I've been through, it's going to be a walk in the park. I think I might be a paramedic shortly after my birthday. Then I'll be free to do I don't know what. I'm not sure what's in my future. Maybe more fire stuff? I might pitch doing community paramedicine to chief. I dunno, I'm rambling now.

My go-to power combination. I needed to conquer my exam and demand unconditional surrender, and I was ultimately successful. I got an easy 3 passes in, but managed to nick myself a few times. It feels like I'm sliding backwards a little in terms of technique, but I'll chalk it up to bring distracted. DFS was the result.

IMG_20191125_091537.jpg

The song posted above is quite morbid and sad. It was written as an expression of giving up on hope so that the writer could ultimately accept his given fate and enjoy what was left to live. Tom Searle died August 20, 2016, succumbing to melanoma. I stumbled onto that video last night and it is easily the most emotionally powerful song I've ever heard.

Back to the less sad stuff. I actually ate a Riesens right before I walked into the computer room to start my exam. I like to think that I passed because Riesens, which were provided by @uacowboy. That'll be a little Cadre fun fact. I think I'm gonna order some Chinese and relax before I get back to studying. I can't let up just yet, I'm almost at the end. I hope your Monday is going well. Thanks for reading, Cadre.

• Razor: Habby 4/8, Merkur Progress
  • Blade: GSB (6)
  • Brush: TDR I forgot the name, but it's bluegold now!
  • Soap: Stone Cottage Soapworks - Vanilla and Vetiver
  • Aftershave: The Veg
  • Music: Stick To Your Guns - True View
It's as official as it gets. I am scheduled to take my certification exam on the 16th. It's about to get real....er? Now I'm questioning my existence. Anyway. The cats hadn't been eating for about two days, but we fixed that up by letting them sleep with us last night. Emma slept next to me and Matilda slept between my legs; it was adorable. I think I should sleep with them more often. I sent an email to my chief letting him know that I'm not interested in promoting just yet and offered to take a much of other classes to better prepare me for a bigger leadership role. We'll see how that goes over.

I told @uacowboy that I would test the Habby out to make sure I was keen on the edge. The Kama turned out pretty dang well, so I expected just about the same from the Habby. I don't know what compelled me to grab this cream today, but it made me happy. It was an unexpected gift from my fellow Texan @MilkCrate a couple of months ago. Maybe being reminded of the kindness and generosity of not only Tim, but the Cadre made me happy. Moving on from my sappy moment. The first pass went well for me. I can't say the same about the rest of the shave with the Habby. I got a couple of cuts, not nicks, cuts, from this bad boys. I was probably being a little careless and paid the price. I probably jumped ahead of myself a little too much. Back to the basics! I did a cleanup pass with the Progress and I am mostly BBS. I threw on some Veg to continue this experiment and I haven't thrown up just yet, and the cats aren't peeing on me to mark their territory over the Veg. Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention the edge of the Habby. Nice and smooth..............and sharp!

IMG_20191126_145306.jpg

I was listening to the song posted above on my way home from my exam. In my younger days I would've blown my voice out screaming along out of excitement, but I thought wiser of that. I will never tire of hardcore and the message it sends.

I gotta go passively study for my very last exam. I know I got this in the bag, but being overly prepared literally won't kill me. We're having a Thanksgiving dinner at work tomorrow, so that's cool. I gotta work on my flow, my last sentence would be better suited as the first sentence. Or I guess I could just move it because this isn't 1983 and copy and paste exists. Nah, too much work and I've already dedicated this much doing the commentary. I think that's enough rambling. I hope everybody has/had a great Tuesday aka 2017. Thanks for reading, Cadre.

Well i am glad the edge is good. I did warn you about 4/8ths razors and square points right? lol go eat a steak to replenish the lost iron and heal up my friend!and maybe wash that down with some hydration!

• Razor: Habby 4/8, Merkur Progress
  • Blade: GSB (6)
  • Brush: TDR I forgot the name, but it's bluegold now!
  • Soap: Stone Cottage Soapworks - Vanilla and Vetiver
  • Aftershave: The Veg
  • Music: Stick To Your Guns - True View
It's as official as it gets. I am scheduled to take my certification exam on the 16th. It's about to get real....er? Now I'm questioning my existence. Anyway. The cats hadn't been eating for about two days, but we fixed that up by letting them sleep with us last night. Emma slept next to me and Matilda slept between my legs; it was adorable. I think I should sleep with them more often. I sent an email to my chief letting him know that I'm not interested in promoting just yet and offered to take a much of other classes to better prepare me for a bigger leadership role. We'll see how that goes over.

I told @uacowboy that I would test the Habby out to make sure I was keen on the edge. The Kama turned out pretty dang well, so I expected just about the same from the Habby. I don't know what compelled me to grab this cream today, but it made me happy. It was an unexpected gift from my fellow Texan @MilkCrate a couple of months ago. Maybe being reminded of the kindness and generosity of not only Tim, but the Cadre made me happy. Moving on from my sappy moment. The first pass went well for me. I can't say the same about the rest of the shave with the Habby. I got a couple of cuts, not nicks, cuts, from this bad boys. I was probably being a little careless and paid the price. I probably jumped ahead of myself a little too much. Back to the basics! I did a cleanup pass with the Progress and I am mostly BBS. I threw on some Veg to continue this experiment and I haven't thrown up just yet, and the cats aren't peeing on me to mark their territory over the Veg. Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention the edge of the Habby. Nice and smooth..............and sharp!

View attachment 12178

I was listening to the song posted above on my way home from my exam. In my younger days I would've blown my voice out screaming along out of excitement, but I thought wiser of that. I will never tire of hardcore and the message it sends.

I gotta go passively study for my very last exam. I know I got this in the bag, but being overly prepared literally won't kill me. We're having a Thanksgiving dinner at work tomorrow, so that's cool. I gotta work on my flow, my last sentence would be better suited as the first sentence. Or I guess I could just move it because this isn't 1983 and copy and paste exists. Nah, too much work and I've already dedicated this much doing the commentary. I think that's enough rambling. I hope everybody has/had a great Tuesday aka 2017. Thanks for reading, Cadre.
West Coast Shaving has the Veg on Clearance............................coincidence, I think not ! I'll hydrate, you go wash that off and study . Have a good evening !

Well i am glad the edge is good. I did warn you about 4/8ths razors and square points right? lol go eat a steak to replenish the lost iron and heal up my friend!and maybe wash that down with some hydration!
Probably. LOL. You got it, doc!

West Coast Shaving has the Veg on Clearance............................coincidence, I think not ! I'll hydrate, you go wash that off and study . Have a good evening !
It is. I don't think I'll be buying a full bottle any time soon. Rest up, Dave!

Back