The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Life On the Wee Woo Box

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and coconut and coffee scrub
  • Razor: Merkur Progress
  • Blade: GSB, new
  • Brush: C-MON Deluxe 77-4
  • Soap: CBL Cut Tobacco
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original
  • Frag: Penhaligon's Sartorial
  • Music: RX Bandits - Gemini, Her Majesty
What a day. I'm just now getting to relax for the first time today. I feel the interview went swimmingly. Although in hindsight I gave a bit of an inappropriate response to an unpopular decision. Maybe "picking a craft beer instead of Bud Light" wasn't the best idea, but it's the first thing that popped into my head. All my other responses to the other questions were appropriate, clear, and concise, so maybe that one dumb response will look like an extreme outlier. I stopped by work in my suit to drop off a card and it caught chief's attention. "Don't be leaving me now," were his last words to me as I awkwardly walked away. I'm sure he knows that I'm about to have the ability to get a job anywhere in the country in a few weeks. I had lunch with one of my firefighters/proteges. And I just got back from the vet; the cades needed their shots.

Keeping with the Cadre's theme of the week, I grabbed Cut Tobacco because Riesens! This is the only pure tobacco scent I have and I adore it and it's rich tobacco-ness. My first use of the Progress went incredibly well. I think this just toppled my 6S off its throne as the best razor I have in my den. Smooth, so smooth, and with just the right amount of aggressiveness at I think 7-ish. It was an all around killer shave. I enjoyed every bit of it, even though I was in a hurry. Thanks for the advance, @Dave in KY, I really appreciate it. DFS++. A couple of spritzes of Sartorial got me going to my interview smelling so so so so so good.

PSX_20191119_170548.jpg

I hadn't listened to RX Bandits in a very long time. They were my favorite band for quite some time. They're easily some of the best musicians in my library. Very easy to listen to, especially if you're in to progressive stuff.

Matilda is trying to break into a bag of her flea medication for some reason. I should probably go fix that. I'm off. I hope everybody had a great day. Thanks for reading, Cadre.

Awesome and glad it's a better fit for you than me.
It's gonna be in great hands!

I usually try to crack at least one joke in an interview, lighten the mood a bit.

Good stuff Ben!
I lightened the mood with the "I'm not even entirely sure what day it is," joke. But that wasn't really a joke; I'm not certain what day it is. 🤣

• Razor: Merkur Progress
  • Blade: GSB (1)
  • Brush: Bioluminescent
  • Soap: CBL Ghost Lime
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, Bootleggers Arctic Lime
  • Frag: D.S. & Durga Burning Barbershop
  • Music: Stick To Your Guns - True View
My assigned partner isn't here yet. He shows up astoundingly late about bimonthly because he's still a child and can't do anything that requires responsibility. How he hasn't been fired is beyond me; actually it's because my last captain never wrote him up for it. Whatever. It's gonna be a good day. Somebody asked why I was wearing a suit yesterday and I told that person, "because it was Tuesday." It's none of their business what I'm wearing and why. I'm sure they'll figure out that I was just being difficult.

On with the shave!

I have tons of CBL soaps, but Ghost Lime seemed appropriate today for some reason. This is a great, natural smelling lime scent, with all kinds of cooling agents, which make the shave phenomenal for me. 3.5 passes and I'm DFS++. The Progress really makes this shaving nonsense easy and super duper enjoyable. I can go a little faster and still get the same results I would if I were to take my time. Burning Barbershop is a surprisingly decent match for my nose.

PSX_20191120_081118.jpg

I was wearing my STYG hoodie at Dillard's on Saturday and a lady at the fragrance counter asked about it. I explained that it was a hardcore band that promoted living earnestly. She was down with it. I almost bought a frag but they didn't have it. Oh well.

I guess I gotta pretend to do my job. I'll catch you guys throughout the day. I hope your hump day goes swimmingly. Thanks for reading, Cadre.

• Razor: Kama something other with a new set of scales, Merkur Progress
  • Blade: GSB (2)
  • Brush: Easter
  • Soap: CBL Iron Throne
  • Aftershave: The Veg
  • Frag: none
  • Music: none
Yesterday happened. I think that's generally how time works, seeing as how it's linear. My partner showed up 2 hours late with some excuse about his ADHD medication making him extra tired. I dunno. If it interfered with my job that much, I'd talk to my doctor to try something else, but that's just me. We all pitched in to mow the lawn. Towards the end of the day we were tasked with tidying up the station, such wasn't received very well. I ended up sweeping and mopping on my own while they watched TV. I'm gonna study after my nap and my errand at the post office.

Allow me to reintroduce the Kama whatever. I sent it to @uacowboy for some new scales and honing. This is the first time I've used it since I got it on Monday. I opted to go back to the basics and only do one pass, and that pass was super smooth and easy. The last two passes with the Progress were a dream. Kyle was also kind enough to send me a sample of the infamous Veg. I guess it doesn't smell too bad to my nose, but it's not the greatest thing ever. Based on everybody else's impressions you should probably take that with a grain of salt because there are some reportedly horrific smells around me at work that don't phase me. So I guess I'm sorta chosen maybe???

IMG_20191121_094726.jpg

No music today, just the sound of the razor cutting hair.

I just followed up with Venessa on the Veg. She doesn't hate it, and said, "it doesn't smell bad," but she's not the biggest fan either. So I guess I can wear it to work and make my coworkers nauseous and not get in trouble for wearing it at home. I think that's about it for this entry. I'm sure I'll remember something after I submit. I wish you all a great Thursday. Thanks for reading, Cadre.

I hear you on the work frustration front. One of the newer guys at my work has one job to do. Just one. And he still manages to not do it. I'd kill to have my responsibilities pared down to that number. But what are you gonna do? I can either let it eat at me, or I can just focus on doing my job the best I can and let the rest lay where it falls.

She doesn't hate it, and said, "it doesn't smell bad," but she's not the biggest fan either. So I guess I can wear it to work and make my coworkers nauseous and not get in trouble for wearing it at home.
Very high praise indeed.

Ben, I’m betting you’re the bestest house boy that station as ever seen.

Back