The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Life On the Wee Woo Box

Enjoy the fireworks as you sit back and watch people hopefully get roasted! :ROFLMAO:
He isn't working today, but the big boss gets to light that fuse himself. It's going to be great! 🤣

You don't have good smelling seasonal scent? Time to correct that sir!
I do, but I don't. I have Leviathan, Lamplight Penance, Santa's Pipe, and probably one or two more. So I have a few, but I didn't feel like using any of them today, they didn't fit the mood.

I'm not sure if I've got any real Autumn scented soaps either. I might have to go take a look. I have plenty of Winter and Christmas soaps for sure. I really like the B&M Reserve base.

I'm not sure if I've got any real Autumn scented soaps either. I might have to go take a look. I have plenty of Winter and Christmas soaps for sure. I really like the B&M Reserve base.
Now that you point out Fall vs Christmas soaps, I only have Lamplight Penance for fall. I guess I gravitate towards all season use soaps for the most part.

I've never had any problems with it, so the criticism seems unfounded from my den. But, you know, YMMV.

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and coconut and coffee scrub
  • Razor: Rockwell 6S
  • Blade: Polsilver (???)
  • Brush: Dogwood Handcrafts, 30mm Whipped Dog boar
  • Soap: CBL Soaps Carnation
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, Pomp's Not Dead Shaves The Day
  • Frag: Paco Rabanne Pour Homme
  • Music: Deftones - Koi No Yokan
Yesterday was an incredibly easy and fun day. I spent the shift paired up with two of my favorite coworkers and we yapped all day long about random things. At one point I had one of them crying with a dumb joke I made, it was awesome. One call; I was the driver for the first time in a long time, and it felt weird, but somehow natural? I have my driving test scheduled for 3pm today and, I'll be taking "Big Bob" out for a spin for a while before we head over for my test.

For the shave, I made an interesting observation. I decided to bloom the soap with a little warm water while I showered. I don't remember who I got the idea from, but it was an attempt to warm up the oils and bring out the scent. So in doing that, I made an already soft soap a ton softer and loading was confusingly fast. Another unintended effect was that the load was prehydrated and lathering was a breeze. I'm not sure why that surprised me because I used to bloom my Stirling Gentleman when I first started. But yeah, my shave was super enjoyable and easy. I took my time and embraced the scent and experience. BBS is where the road ended today. I called an audible for the splash because I forgot that I had a floral aftershave. This is a great pairing to my nose. I'll douse myself in Pour Homme before I take off to the station.

PSX_20191114_101111.jpg

I don't know why I decided to listen to this record. I guess I was in a Deftones mood.

I think I'm gonna go take a nap before lunch so I can be well rested and prepared for my driving test. @Dave in KY and @GearNoir, GO DRINK SOME WATER. I hope you're all having a great day. Thanks for reading, Cadre.

Good stuff Ben! Glad the shift went well.

“Big Bob” is a person? Or a vehicle?

Haven’t seen that in a while! Still keeping up with my daily use of my half gallon jug!
Big Bob is absolutely a vehicle. That is the nickname for Engine 1. It was named after a retired firefighter that served the city for a long time. He actually recently passed away, and Big Bob carried him home. However unfortunate, it was awesome that we could honor him by doing that.

Keep up the strong work, Chris! Hydration is the enemy and you must conquer it with extreme prejudice!

• Razor: Karve, OC C plate
  • Blade: Wizamet, new
  • Brush: I shall call it the Nickelodeon brush from now on.
  • Soap: Pehaligon's Sartorial
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original
  • Frag: Pehaligon's Sartorial
  • Music: The Wonder Years - Suburbia I've Given You All And Now I'm Nothing
So I shaved yesterday, but I never got around to writing it up. I got caught up in doing chores and helping one of my coworkers move my old futon and TV to his apartment. It was a productive day. But today is a new day, and you probably know today's significance. The in-laws just got here and the mood is cheerful and excited. I just want to get this over with so I can move on to my next obstacle. That's probably not the best way to look at things, but that's my mindset for the most stressful month of my life. Oh yeah, the driving test fell through due to mechanical problems. We're postponing that obstacle.

Today is a special day that warrants a special, unobtaniumish soap. The soap as far as I can tell is discontinued, but I managed to find a puck. I love this scent and I'll be wearing a suit later today, so it really sets the mood well. Oh man, it's an elegant, gentlemanly scent. To be honest I wasn't expecting a whole lot in terms of performance, but it really surprised me. By no means is it the best soap in my den, but the scent strength is perfect and is present throughout the shave, the slickness is good, cushion is mediocre. I chased a little and I paid for it a little with some irritation and bloodshed. I put a stop to that with a torniquet, jk, I used alum. I finished off with some neutral Thayer's. BBS. It's gonna be a great day.

PSX_20191116_105609.jpg

I have a lot to be grateful for today. The Wonder Years got me through a lot of depression and girl problems, so I felt that it was fitting that I listen to this album from top to bottom. There's one song on there that almost always brings me to tears because it reminds me of a friend that was killed trying to help somebody, he died way too soon.

I gotta go do stuff to prepare myself for the pending insanity that is the rest of my life. I can't have a beer over it because I told @Dave in KY to hold my beer and he hasn't given it back yet; I suspect he drank it again. Oh well. I hope you're all having a great weekend. Thanks for reading, Cadre.

• Razor: Karve, OC C plate
  • Blade: Wizamet, new
  • Brush: I shall call it the Nickelodeon brush from now on.
  • Soap: Pehaligon's Sartorial
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original
  • Frag: Pehaligon's Sartorial
  • Music: The Wonder Years - Suburbia I've Given You All And Now I'm Nothing
So I shaved yesterday, but I never got around to writing it up. I got caught up in doing chores and helping one of my coworkers move my old futon and TV to his apartment. It was a productive day. But today is a new day, and you probably know today's significance. The in-laws just got here and the mood is cheerful and excited. I just want to get this over with so I can move on to my next obstacle. That's probably not the best way to look at things, but that's my mindset for the most stressful month of my life. Oh yeah, the driving test fell through due to mechanical problems. We're postponing that obstacle.

Today is a special day that warrants a special, unobtaniumish soap. The soap as far as I can tell is discontinued, but I managed to find a puck. I love this scent and I'll be wearing a suit later today, so it really sets the mood well. Oh man, it's an elegant, gentlemanly scent. To be honest I wasn't expecting a whole lot in terms of performance, but it really surprised me. By no means is it the best soap in my den, but the scent strength is perfect and is present throughout the shave, the slickness is good, cushion is mediocre. I chased a little and I paid for it a little with some irritation and bloodshed. I put a stop to that with a torniquet, jk, I used alum. I finished off with some neutral Thayer's. BBS. It's gonna be a great day.

View attachment 11542

I have a lot to be grateful for today. The Wonder Years got me through a lot of depression and girl problems, so I felt that it was fitting that I listen to this album from top to bottom. There's one song on there that almost always brings me to tears because it reminds me of a friend that was killed trying to help somebody, he died way too soon.

I gotta go do stuff to prepare myself for the pending insanity that is the rest of my life. I can't have a beer over it because I told @Dave in KY to hold my beer and he hasn't given it back yet; I suspect he drank it again. Oh well. I hope you're all having a great weekend. Thanks for reading, Cadre.
great shave today and Best Wishes man!

I left the girls in the store because they were annoying me to death and just being all around jerks, which is not the word I want to use but it'll get the point across just the same. Might as well write up yesterday's shave.

• Razor: Jectah
  • Blade: Proline (???)
  • Brush: The emerald TDR boar one
  • Soap: Stirling Kaboom
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, Stirling Kaboom
  • Frag: Viktor and Rolf Spicebomb
  • Music: Belmont
I don't remember what I was thinking yesterday so just pretend I said something entertaining.

I grabbed Kaboom and figured I might as well go all the way with the Spicebomb theme, and while I was at it I went with all green. Spicebomb has been knocked down a couple of pegs by Burning Barbershop and Sartorial, but it's still easily a favorite. I think I only did one pass so I could make it out to the barbershop and get started with the tasks for the day.

IMG_20191115_103844.jpg

The more I listen to this album the more boring it feels to me. There's nothing particularly boring about it, though, so I'm not sure what the deal is.

That's pretty much it. Thanks for traveling back in time with me, Cadre.

Great stuff, Ben. I do love Sartorial, though it always smelled like a very narrow situational fragrance to me so my bottle hasn't seen a lot of use.

Back