The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Life On the Wee Woo Box

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and coconut and coffee scrub
  • Razor: Schick EverSharp G-8
  • Blade: Supply (2)
  • Brush: Shavemac Tortoise, 24mm something badger
  • Soap: B&M Leviathan
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, B&M Leviathan
  • Music: Issues - Beautiful Oblivion
It's uhhhh Tuesday for me, and it's another day in paradise. Last shift kicked my butt, so much so that I didn't go out to the gender reveal of a loved former coworker. It really feels like every other shift is leaving us with things to fix while they complain about doing their jobs. We left them with a fully functioning truck and we inherited a truck with broken windshield spray things. I don't even know how they broke them, they didn't need to be touched to begin with. So we're fixing that today, along with some gear accounting. It's going to be a great day.

It's free for all Sunday and I've been wanting to use Leviathan for a couple of weeks. This is my treat for resisting the temptation of using stuff from the passaround box while I had it. I'll be using one of those soaps next Sunday for sure. I've noticed that my shaves with the jectah are faster now. It also can't be a coincidence that I've also been blooming my soaps. Faster loading, faster lathering, faster shaving. I actually made it to work at the time that I've always been aiming for and failing to achieve. DFS and a great scent, even though it doesn't match the weather just yet.

PSX_20191006_090656.jpg

This is the new Issues album and it's already highly regarded for its "brave" departure from their previous works. The old stuff is filled with screaming, but not so much this album. It's going to take a little getting used to, but I like it so far. It's got a little funk in it, with heavy down-tuned guitars.

Quick mention. I PIFed my partner some stuff, including a sample size tub of CBL Dragon's Blood, which he loves. He walked in bragging that he was BBS. Another one converted.

I'm off to fix my truck and do the other stuff I mentioned. Thanks for reading, Cadre. Have a great Sunday.

Things are running a lot better now. I also finally got clarity on my school station l situation. Turns out my case got lost in the director's weeds. I have to go back and do the three reports that I didn't do. That's it. Not even a big deal. I'm getting a counseling notice for my failure to do something that I didn't know I had to do, but I'm okay with that. Easy fix. Once I get that taken care of, I get cleared to take my final final exam. Once I pass that, I'm free. I'm pumped.
Great news, Ben. Keep moving forward!

I forgot to tell you.... Get one of these.
Amazon.com: King Japanese Nagura Stone #8000: Home & Kitchen

I still use mine on my shapton stones, but it was very helpful on my superstones. Don't use it as a lapping stone, but you will notice they build up a layer of material on them fairly quickly. This works great as a cleaning stone and keeps you cutting on fresh stone.
Way ahead of you Shawn! It got here on Saturday. I also got a set of rust erasers to clean it. I tried using it and quickly found out how soft it is, and had to lap out a couple of gouges. Rookie mistakes. What would be the next stone to get in the progression? 16k?

Edit: So I read that wicked wrong because I'm catching up on sleep and I'm not wearing my glasses. I found a channel on YouTube where the dude cleans his stones with Japanese rust erasers instead of nagura stones. I've been using them successfully and there's little to no wear on them.

I'm actually honing right now. My progression is 2K, 5K, 8K, and then I go to a Narutaki Japanese natural stone with a Tomo Nagura slurry to water.
I've honestly not used a synthetic stone past an 8K. I started with a 10K slate, then to an Ozuku and now my Narutaki, with a little bit of fiddling around with a Coticule thrown in the mix.

IIRC, the 8K is your highest at the moment? That may be a big jump to go straight to 16K. Maybe a 12K in the middle somewhere?

I'm actually honing right now. My progression is 2K, 5K, 8K, and then I go to a Narutaki Japanese natural stone with a Tomo Nagura slurry to water.
I've honestly not used a synthetic stone past an 8K. I started with a 10K slate, then to an Ozuku and now my Narutaki, with a little bit of fiddling around with a Coticule thrown in the mix.

IIRC, the 8K is your highest at the moment? That may be a big jump to go straight to 16K. Maybe a 12K in the middle somewhere?
Yup. S8000. I think that would be reasonable to go with a 12k next. I'm not buying all of them at once, so I can save up for the 16k next. I was doing a little research on coticles, but that'll be later down the road.

My Naniwa progression stops at 12k. That next jump to 20k is expensive. I may jump to a surgical black or translucent ark instead.

My Naniwa progression stops at 12k. That next jump to 20k is expensive. I may jump to a surgical black or translucent ark instead.
Interesting. First, I didn't even know it went that high. Lol. And it hasn't really occured to me to mix and match based on performance of the stone. It kinda did, but I get the sense that it might be more of an advanced thing...and I just cut my finger like the rookie that I am. 🤣

Interesting. First, I didn't even know it went that high. Lol. And it hasn't really occured to me to mix and match based on performance of the stone. It kinda did, but I get the sense that it might be more of an advanced thing...and I just cut my finger like the rookie that I am. 🤣

Not really an advanced thing, really just cost. My progression is Naniwa 1k, 5k, 8k & 12k. The next synth jump would be the SUEHIRO GMN200 which is 20k. It’s a bit out of my budget. I could get an Ark for half that. But the natural stones don’t cut as quick as the synths.

You know they make a chain mail safety glove right? I was provided one in a past life and didn’t use it. Would have saved me 13 stitches. I still don’t have one 🤪

Not really an advanced thing, really just cost. My progression is Naniwa 1k, 5k, 8k & 12k. The next synth jump would be the SUEHIRO GMN200 which is 20k. It’s a bit out of my budget. I could get an Ark for half that. But the natural stones don’t cut as quick as the synths.

You know they make a chain mail safety glove right? I was provided one in a past life and didn’t use it. Would have saved me 13 stitches. I still don’t have one 🤪
Well in that case I might start looking into a natural super duper polishing stone over the next couple of months. I have tons of patience.

Would a chain mail glove make me look cooler? Asking for a friend. 🤣

Cotis and Arks I dont have a lot of experience with. Jnats I have a little. With Jnats you can get a really hard fine stone and work all the way from bevel set to finish on the one stone with a progression of slurry. Just use different grades of nagura.
I think you can with cotis as well but it seems a lot trickier to me.

Well in that case I might start looking into a natural super duper polishing stone over the next couple of months. I have tons of patience.

Take what I say with a grain of salt, I’m still learning too. Shawn’s done way more with stones than I have. Lots of ways to go with the naturals.

Back