The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Life On the Wee Woo Box

Man I hate hearing about bike calls.

We were on a charity run once and a car plowed into our group. Took out 4 bikes, luckily no fatalities.

My last ride I was bumped in rush hour traffic. We rode for 12 years without going down and then hung up the chaps.

Oh ... nice shave!
That would kill my drive to ride. It's stupid how people gauge their driving skills by how well they can weave through traffic, and not how safely and efficiently they drive. I'm sorry jackasses had to ruin your fun.

At least you got the patient to the hospital whitest he was above room temperature! Tell your friend Cigars from ISOM (Island south of Miami) are in my opinion kinda overrated. Prefer Honduran and Dominicans myself.

At least you got the patient to the hospital whitest he was above room temperature! Tell your friend Cigars from ISOM (Island south of Miami) are in my opinion kinda overrated. Prefer Honduran and Dominicans myself.
I don't think I've had either of those. I'll look into it tomorrow. Thanks for the tip! Any brands in particular you would suggest trying? Probably something a little more on the mild side for me and definitely mild for him.

A lot depends on how much you wanna spend and the diameter (ring size) you want. Generally the larger (fatter) ring sized smoke a lot cooler. As far as brands, I like Macaudo’s and Arturo Fuentes. If you are starting out, go with a shorter length so
as to prevent stomach upset. Arturo Fuentes short stories are a good choice to try and see if you enjoy smoking cigars with out making you ill, or getting a big nicotine hit. There are some cigars you will see in a cigar shop that have a green leaf wrapper. Regardless of brand these are called candela cigars and are by nature pretty mild. @clyde72 is deeper into cigars than I, I hope he agrees. Lol

Last edited:
A lot depends on how much you wanna spend and the diameter (ring size) you want. Generally the larger (fatter) ring sized smoke a lot cooler. As far as brands, I like Macaudo’s and Arturo Fuentes. If you are starting out, go with a shorter length so
as to prevent stomach upset. Arturo Fuentes short stories are a good choice to try and see if you enjoy smoking cigars with out making you ill, or getting a big nicotine hit. There are some cigars you will see in a cigar shop that have a green leaf wrapper. Regardless of brand these are called candela cigars and are by nature pretty mild. @clyde72 is deeper into cigars than I, I hope he agrees. Lol
Lots of his information. Thanks, Rich! I'll try to see what the shop has. Also, what's the etiquette with the cherry??? I was told to keep it on there as long as possible? Then I read something about flavor related to the cherry?

My Dad used to say “only tinhorns leave the band on a cigar” that’s really the only rule I follow. Sometimes we have contests to see who can keep the ash on for a ‘long assed ash’ contest.

Macanudo’s and Arturo Fuentes
These would be my recommendations as well for a great smoke. Arturo Fuentes Hemingway signature is probably my all time favorite cigar.
Onyx Makes a decent cigar if you like the dark blends. Davidoff and H. Upmann are solid choices as well.

Dude, it stresses me out when I hear about your whack-a-do leadership of the EMS system there. Did you get anything out of the protocols I linked you to?

I don't remember if I learned anything new. I'll go through them again, they provide a slightly different perspective.

I don't remember if I learned anything new. I'll go through them again, they provide a slightly different perspective.
From what I’ve seen things are pretty tight here. The country EMS medical director is a Stanford ED doc.

I'd love it if we could get a medical director that actually talked to us. We could get so much done in the field and improve our public image and how facilities view is as clinicians.

Dude, it stresses me out when I hear about your whack-a-do leadership of the EMS system there. Did you get anything out of the protocols I linked you to?
It's not just there. A few years back I went to take my EMT course again. I could have just taken the re-certification test, but it had been quite some time since I was active, so I figured I'd do the whole course as a refresher.
First day there, one of the instructors was a paramedic from Bradford. (Everywhere around here is volunteer except Bradford and Olean. Both had a paramedic unit that was run out of the hospital and would meet volunteer services as needed.)
He gets up to the front of the class and said "I'm a paramedic. As far as you are concerned, I'm god. Your job will be to stabilize the patient until I arrive." So that really put a bad taste in my mouth right from the get-go....

Then when we finally got to doing practical exercises it got even better. They partnered me, a former firefighter and EMT, with a friend of mine that was an active firefighter and first responder. So we weren't completely clueless.
We got told the scenario and the information given in the "call". We assessed, treated to our limits/abilities, and prepared for transport.

We then got called aside and told "we don't like showboating". I said "didn't we do what we were supposed to do?". They said yes, and I replied with "then you can take your ego and shove it up your ***" and left. Haven't considered volunteering since then.

I know it's not the best attitude, but I can't see myself dealing with that at all, much less when I have a patient depending on me.

Working in the Quality world of medicine, it just stuns me when I hear about people that don’t have improving care and learning from everywhere they can at the front of their mind.

It's not just there. A few years back I went to take my EMT course again. I could have just taken the re-certification test, but it had been quite some time since I was active, so I figured I'd do the whole course as a refresher.
First day there, one of the instructors was a paramedic from Bradford. (Everywhere around here is volunteer except Bradford and Olean. Both had a paramedic unit that was run out of the hospital and would meet volunteer services as needed.)
He gets up to the front of the class and said "I'm a paramedic. As far as you are concerned, I'm god. Your job will be to stabilize the patient until I arrive." So that really put a bad taste in my mouth right from the get-go....

Then when we finally got to doing practical exercises it got even better. They partnered me, a former firefighter and EMT, with a friend of mine that was an active firefighter and first responder. So we weren't completely clueless.
We got told the scenario and the information given in the "call". We assessed, treated to our limits/abilities, and prepared for transport.

We then got called aside and told "we don't like showboating". I said "didn't we do what we were supposed to do?". They said yes, and I replied with "then you can take your ego and shove it up your ***" and left. Haven't considered volunteering since then.

I know it's not the best attitude, but I can't see myself dealing with that at all, much less when I have a patient depending on me.
Quite a few of my coworkers have that same attitude your instructor did. It's sickening. They chastise me for being competent. I frequently get "quit being a paragod!"

Working in the Quality world of medicine, it just stuns me when I hear about people that don’t have improving care and learning from everywhere they can at the front of their mind.
Being on the quantity side, that stuns me too. Nobody realizes that we're dealing with other humans, with thoughts, feelings, and family.

Back