The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Life On the Wee Woo Box

That is a COOL looking handle (y)
A better picture of it that I forgot to post
IMG_20190926_053043.jpg

So frustrating! I’m frustrated for ya man!

Are the shirts coming stuff you can wear on station? Or just casual stuff?
I thought I was paying @MilkCrate for that service!
I can technically wear it under my polo, but I have my department t-shirt under that, so it's going to be for when I'm not on duty.

Jeesh Gear. Have you not seen the calendars? Firemen work shirtless.
Thankfully that's not the case. I don't need any more old ladies hitting on me.

I have a super floppy badger brush that got firmed up when @woodpusher put a big rubber o-ring around the base of the knot. Kind of simulating a deeper set. I have to imagine that would work for you too. If one isn’t enough, I guess two would be twice as good. 👍

I have a super floppy badger brush that got firmed up when @woodpusher put a big rubber o-ring around the base of the knot. Kind of simulating a deeper set. I have to imagine that would work for you too. If one isn’t enough, I guess two would be twice as good. 👍
That's pretty clever. I'll have to try that in the event that I am able to take the knot out. Thanks, Rich and Sam!

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and coconut and coffee scrub
  • Razor: Rockwell 6S, R6
  • Blade: Gillette Stainless, new
  • Brush: Dogwood Handcrafts "something about a cat," 30mm Whipped Dog boar
  • Soap: Institut Karite Extra Gentle
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, Pinaud Clubman
  • EdP: Paco Rabanne Pour Homme
  • Music: I Built The Sky
It's Friday and there's not a whole lot for me to do today aside from my job and attempt to affix my state patch to my class A shirt because nobody ever bothered to get it done for me. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I'm temporarily (I hope) in the honor guard and will be standing at the memorial service for my former chief who passed this past Saturday. I wasn't particularly fond of him, but I'm not interested in bashing him for the things I didn't like; it's whatever, I've moved on. So I'll be doing that tomorrow afternoon.

Today's shave features a new brush that had been sitting like the rosewood one, along with a new Whipped Dog boar knot. I'll reserve my review for the thread that I started a while back. Basically, it's a big knot, and it's awesome. I'm not crazy about the colors in the handle, but it's functional. Nothing really significant to add to my shave. Maybe I should mention that this blade came from somewhere, I don't remember where, and it appears to be Brazilian in origin. It's plenty sharp and actually got me pretty damn close to BBS, but I'll call it dfs+. Thayer's, Clubman, and Pour Homme to finish it off.

PSX_20190927_072810.jpg

This band is purely instrumental if my memory hasn't failed me, so listen without fear of your speakers screaming at you. The guitarist is pretty damn good.

I'm off to do whatever I'm supposed to do today, which will include sewing at some point. Yeah, I can sew, what of it? Thanks for reading, Cadre. I wish you all the best Friday ever, and a great start to the weekend!

This band is purely instrumental if my memory hasn't failed me, so listen without fear of your speakers screaming at you. The guitarist is pretty damn good.
I've only clicked on a few of your musical choices. This is one I could actually listen to. But if we ever have to carpool somewhere, I'm still driving.

Way to go for showing support, regardless of interpersonal issues. Sounds like you didn’t have much of a choice...but good on ya anyway if it does happen!

Gas powered?
Believe it or not Husqvarna didn't start with gas equipment. They started with rifles in the 1600's, then went to sewing machines and cast iron kitchen equipment in the 1800's, then bicycles and motorcycles around 1900. Lawn stuff didn't start until around 1920.

I've only clicked on a few of your musical choices. This is one I could actually listen to. But if we ever have to carpool somewhere, I'm still driving.
I'm counting that as a win, I don't care what you say.

So the C open comb plate appears to be a Karve win for you. Have a good day Ben
I don't really know how I feel about it. It's definitely more efficient for me, but there's also a lot more irritation. I still use it so I can fine-tune my technique with it, maybe that's what's causing the irritation.

Sewing!?!?! 😜

Dont worry, you aren't the only one. Even used to have my own Husqvarna sewing machine that did some basic embroidery.
Real men can sew!

Way to go for showing support, regardless of interpersonal issues. Sounds like you didn’t have much of a choice...but good on ya anyway if it does happen!
I was kinda voluntold. But yeah,

Edit: I forgot what I was going to say, but I'm not deleting that incomplete sentence!

Good looking setup. Honor guard is pretty cool too. Have a great day!
Thanks, Tim! You too, hermano!

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and coconut and coffee scrub
  • Razor: Gillette ball-end tech
  • Blade: Derby (new packaging apparently), new
  • Brush: Wild West Brushworks "something about the Arctic," Whipped Dog 26mm grey/white synthetic
  • Soap: Noble Otter Barrbarr
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, Noble Otter Barrbarr
  • EdT: D.S. & Durga Burning Barbershop
  • Music: Save Face - Merci
Alright, I'm fired up this morning. I'll start with my last call, which was incredibly critical. Without getting into too much detail, a man was rear ended off his moving motorcycle, and was then struck by two other vehicles. I was the closest and immediately requested a helicopter because it was just me and my useless partner for about 5 minutes until the engine showed up with only one person who can help me, but couldn't because he had to do command stuff. The other truck was tied up at the city jail with some nonsense. The other truck showed up out of nowhere and decided they were going to take the patient. After a few minutes of back and forth, the lead paramedic decided that she was going to take him. Shortly after that decision was made the helicopter showed up, like literally a minute later. She still decided that driving 20 minutes was faster than a helicopter, which I think we can all agree is wrong. So off we went. The new paramedic was a little shaky, but I tried to crack a few jokes to ease him up, while the lead just fiddled her thumbs. They gave a medication outside of protocol. But ultimately we got the patient to the hospital alive. I'm still livid about the terrible decisions based on an ego. This morning I walked in an was immediately told that I left a mess. The two laziest people I work with pointed out that there's some muddy soot tracked around the station. My mistake for leaving it, but I also ran calls, including that last critical call, and I was tired. They proceeded to leave it there the entire day because they didn't make the mess. Never mind that we regularly clean up after them without complaints; we get busy sometimes, it's just a couple of minutes of work to keep the place tidy, no big deal. Man, I'm still irritated about that. But I'm not ready to be petty just yet. We're all human.

To the shave!

It's Sunday so I grabbed something other than the 3017. Barrbarr was actually my third option. I grabbed two other sets first, and changed my mind right before I jumped in the shower. No regrets. I don't think I've used a Derby before. This is the tuck that I got on duty a couple of months ago. Ultimately this blade was smooth, but not very efficient. I got just below BBS for a DFS+. I love this scent and I love supporting a fellow Texan, especially one that lives near me. I'm gonna save up for a full bottle of Burning Barbershop. Oh yeah, this is the third of the trio of new knots and handles. This knot in particular is quite springy, and I'd compare it to the tuxedo style knots if I'm being honest, but these are softer. I'll be putting my full thoughts over in that thread some time tomorrow if I can remember.

PSX_20190929_053341.jpg

Save Face returns. I genuinely love this record.

I've been showing my partner, the one who listens to my flawed wisdom videos on haircuts and pomade. We're also gonna go smoke a couple of cigars at a local shop because he hasn't tried a cigar and wants to try a Cuban of some sort. Gotta go! Thanks for reading my frustrated thoughts, Cadre. I hope everybody is having a great Sunday.

Man I hate hearing about bike calls.

We were on a charity run once and a car plowed into our group. Took out 4 bikes, luckily no fatalities.

My last ride I was bumped in rush hour traffic. We rode for 12 years without going down and then hung up the chaps.

Oh ... nice shave!

Back