The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Life On the Wee Woo Box

I survived Thai food. I had the basic pad thai with chicken. Delicious. The restaurant was a hole in the wall in a sketchy neighborhood, but it was a nice night out. We stopped in at BJ's for a beer on the way home. BJ's Porter is freakishly good

I survived Thai food. I had the basic pad thai with chicken. Delicious.
I wuld never call Pad Thai basic. There are a lot of flavors going on in that dish. Just because it is a popular dish, doesn't mean that it is any less delicious!

The restaurant was a hole in the wall in a sketchy neighborhood, but it was a nice night out.
This automatically makes it a great place to eat! Dives have the best food...it's science!

My favorite Thai place in the Baton Rouge area is this sketchy green building with no windows. You walk in and the place is really tiny. The walls are this weird '70s mustard yellow and full length mirrors are everywhere! Sometimes it is just downright creepy. But they have some of the best food in Baton Rouge! Certainly the best Thai!

Proud of you for going out of your comfort zone and trying something new!

I wuld never call Pad Thai basic. There are a lot of flavors going on in that dish. Just because it is a popular dish, doesn't mean that it is any less delicious!
Fair point, Don! This iteration tasted like sweet and sour noodles, and I mixed in the crushed peanuts that were on the side. The peanuts really added a completely new dynamic. I'd absolutely try it again. I've actually responded to the closest Thai restaurant to me, so at least I know where it is. Also, yes, hot tea is hot, which is why I know where it is. 🤣

• Pre-shave: hot towel
  • Razor: Karve, OC C plate
  • Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
  • Brush: WCS Honeycomb
  • Soap: CBL Soaps "Tumbleweed" (pre-Santa Fe)
  • Aftershave: Skin Bracer
  • Music: blink-182 - Nine
It's Sunday, I think, and I'm 4 days into my 8 day break. It's also my little sister's birthday, and I'm a little bummed that I couldn't make it down because of Imelda. I'll give her a call in a few minutes. She's easily my favorite person on the face of existence, and I'll never get tired of saying that. She's a bad ass and doesn't let having Down Syndrome limit her; her limits are set by how stubborn she is.

It feels good to have a proper shave. It's Sunday so I rewarded myself with the ability to not use my 3017 soap. Tumbleweed was sent for evaluation by yours truly, even that I'm constantly reminded that my nose isn't as sophisticated as I want it to be. That being said, what was to become Santa Fe is a very pleasant, hay-like scent. It actually reminds me a lot of Noble Otter's Lonestar, except it isn't nearly as distinctly Texan. Chris has it in the description that it's a Southwest inspired scent, and although I've been been that far west, this is what I imagine it smells like in ranches across that general area. I could be horrifically wrong. The performance was what you would expect, and more, because I believe that he added hemp oil to the mix, which I very much enjoy. Noteworthy is that at least in my sample, it is barely not a cream, which Chris warned me about. Doesn't bother me one bit, but I know some people care. So yeah. The shave. I had a better go with the OC plate today, by managed to nick my chin because I was careless. Tons less irritation too. I finished up with Skin Bracer because I don't have anything that matches. Man, it feels good to have a smooth face again, DFS++.

No picture because I dunno what to tell you anymore, my dog ate it???

I wasn't very hopeful about Nine. This is supposed to be a more mature take with the new lineup, and it's there, but it feels overproduced to me. A lot of people say this in on par with their self-titled album, but it's not even close to be. That criticism aside, I actually like it. There are a few songs that I'm not super into, but that's alright. I give it a 3/5.

I already did the one thing that I tasked myself to do today, so it's just football and chill. The Chargers players are dropping like flies, so it's business as usual, like every. single. year. Anyway. I gotta go eat. Thanks for reading, Cadre. I hope you're all having an incredible weekend.

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and apricot scrub
  • Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (2)
  • Brush: Lancaster Razor Works Fly Fishing 3, 26mm synthetic
  • Soap: Institut Karite Extra Gentle
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, Pinaud Clubman
  • Music: blink-182 - blink-182
  • EdT: Paco Rabanne Pour Homme
I have done everything that I need to do today, including dropping off a suit at my tailor to get basically everything let out because I've gained a little weight since I bought the damn thing almost a year ago. It's not going to break my bank too bad, but it's a reminder that I need to hit the gym; I could use some strength training anyway. I also made it out to the post office to send @Dave in KY some Proline B-20 blades to try out because of science. I've seen a couple of Cadre gents rave about them so I was disappointed to find that they weren't working for me. If nothing else, the blades can make a tour of the membership or something, I don't know, that's Dave's problem now. 🤪 I also took care of some financial stuff this weekend so I can stop hemorrhaging my money. Lots of productivity in the past few days, although it doesn't really feel like it. It's going to be a relatively busy week going forward. Tomorrow I'm off to Safelite to get my windshield repaired a bit so that there is no possible cracking involved. Then I have a training on Wednesday and Thursday pertaining to maintenance of my ambulance, specifically the generator and electrical system that is currently plaguing our fleet. Then back to work on Friday for the rest of my work tour.

Back to the regular grind of the 3017ing. This brush is new....ish. I haven't used it before because it didn't have any hair, which I installed last night. It was another case of the handle being bored too deep for my purposes, but I improvised again and added two nickels to raise the knot a bit; it was also bored a little too wide, but that's not as big a deal. This handle was one of four specially made in collaboration with Talbot Shaving's Chittenango Creek. Part of the proceeds went to help veterans heal through fly fishing, which I can get behind without question. I wish I went out fishing a lot more often, it's a great distraction from reality for the duration of the failed attempt to catch fish. There is a fly lure in the handle, along with a couple of rocks, which is awesome. Enough about this beautiful brush. I chased and I was cursed and rewarded. There were a few weepers. I got full on BBS. I think there were dolphins involved? I dunno, I never understood what that was all about. My face is smooth, that's about it. I applied some Thayer's and decided to check with some alum, and it wasn't as bad as I thought. More Thayer's, then Iced Clubman. I finished up with a spritz of my EdT of the day. A bit on the fragrance. I fully understand why a few members say that it's a bit of an older man's scent. I definitely get the vintage vibe to it, and at one point I told Venessa that this is probably what men smelled like in the early 80's. That being said, I thoroughly enjoy it, it feels classic and classy without being overstepping any bounds.

IMG_20190923_124917.jpg

Ah, the perfection that is the self-titled album, easily the highest point in their career. This is the greatest album they will ever release and they will forever be chasing the success that they had when they released this. That might be too bold a statement, but that's just how I feel. Of course that doesn't mean that I think their other works are trash, but this is the best of what they've release.......to date.

Matilda is showing me some love today, which is a little weird, so I'm gonna go enjoy it. She's just like me and doesn't really display affection too often, which is something that Venessa isn't too fond of, understandably. I still haven't nailed down the reason behind my behavior, but it's probably related to a defense mechanism I developed in my teens. As I type this I realize that it's something that I'm gonna need to work on going forward because Venessa deserves nothing less than everything I have in me. Anyway, I'm off to enjoy the thunderstorm that just arrived. Thanks for reading, Cadre. Enjoy the rest of your Monday.

Nice stuff Ben especially the brush. As I was reading I was thinking, this bum better have a picture today 😂😉
It was fully warranted today. You've already seen all my other brushes that have hair. 🤣

See, isn't it just easier saying it into the camera?
It really is, but that would've made a 40 minute video. 🤣

just show her that post. it'll probably get you some Brownie points.
No kidding. Knowing her she'll read it on her own. She likes to read my stuff every now and then, especially when she finds out that I talked about her.

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and apricot scrub
  • Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (3)
  • Brush: The pink one
  • Soap: Institut Karite Extra Gentle
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, Pinaud Clubman
  • EdT: D.S. & Durga Burning Barbershop
  • Music: Save Face - Split
It's pretty much Monday for me. I'm normally on duty today, but I have the day off. Of course I spent the day learning how to troubleshoot the most common problems that my ambulance may experience, taught by the people who built my ambulance, in the building that it was built in. So that was a cool experience. I do have one gripe and it has nothing to do with that part of me day. One of my superiors was there with me and I found something cool related to paramedicine specifically, so I figured that he would be the only one to understand it. I showed it to him, he responded with, "hell, I don't even know if I can read those things anymore." I quipped back with a surprised, "I hope you at least know what that is." He shot back, "well, what is it?" "That's v-tach," I started uncertainly because I'm not the one who just said he might not know what it was." "Well, there you go," he said dismissively, as to get me to shut up about it already. So my issue lies with the fact that he has dismissed every single bit of knowledge and experience that I have because he's been a paramedic for longer than I have, but he seemingly hasn't bothered to keep up with advances in our field. I didn't ask him because I wanted to show off how much I know, I wanted to know what he thought about the situation and EKGs I presented. That's piss poor leadership in every book, and it's frustrating. But I digest.

Pretty much the same shave as the last one, except I feel that the blade was tugging a little about once I started going atg. Might be time to toss the blade. The fun part was applying the Burning Barbershop. Goodness, this stuff is awesome. I described it in the daily fragrance thread, but I'll share it again here. It has a pungent aroma when first applied, like burning kerosene, not unlike the opening whiff of DG Lamplight Penance. About 20 minutes in, the burning smell let's up and let's the barbershop notes shine through. I could wear this every day for the rest of my life with no complaints...from me.

I forgot to take a picture because I was awake and out the door earlier than usual to beat traffic and fail.

I'm genuinely impressed with Save Face. This song in particular reminds me a lot of Sweater Song by Weezer.

Alright, I'm gonna wrap this up before I end up typing as much as I did yest...crap. Well, I intended to not spill my guts, but alas, I failed. Haha. Anyway, thanks for reading my nonsense rant about something that doesn't really matter. I wish you all a wonderful evening.

Back