The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Life On the Wee Woo Box

You’re like a week or two from officially being the big man on the ambulance?

A couple of months. I test skills in November. It's not so much for me, but everybody after me. Not everybody is going to be a paramedic at my department and we don't always have ALS trucks. It's an awkward feeling when the doc asks what the 12 Lead looks like and can't hand one over for interpretation.

Ya, that kind of surprised me. I did ECGs as a nursing assistant in the ED.

I'm obviously comfortable doing 12 leads, but I have nobody to sign me off on placement or the possibility of interpreting them. I'm on EMS coordinator number 4 in a year if that tells you anything about the consistency of my department. 😄

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and apricot scrub
  • Razor: Rockwell 6S, R6
  • Blade: I already forgot and too lazy to look back
  • Brush: Prometheus Handcrafts Cloud, 26mm tuxedo
  • Soap: Eleven/DFS collab
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, Eleven/DFS collab
  • Music: Direct Hit! - Crown Of Nothing
It's the last day of the tour and I got told some upsetting things first thing in the morning. I'm trying to restrain myself from venting about department failings and it's really difficult. I just want to be able to do my job safely and effectively. Whatever, it's above my pay grade. Oh yeah, happy labor day.

Guys. I'm going to start this by saying I got BBS. Geez, it's been a long time coming. There's no rhyme or reason to any of this stuff today. No regrets. I added 3 drops of WS-23 to the top of the soap and got a nice cool lather. Reminder, I got BBS. Three drops of WS-23 to the splash and I was off to work. I don't know where the weepers were because they closed up so fast, but there were a couple I think.

No picture. Pure laziness today.

No real rhyme or reason to today's music either. Just good punk rock ti get the day started.

I hope everybody has a wonderful day, Cadre. Thanks for reading.

Listen up Mr Loosey Goosey. Let’s tighten up this ship. Let’s get on the straight and narrow and step up to the line.

First of all, I'm a duck. And I agree. I have no control over who orders hypotonic solutions instead of isotonic solutions. I'm just trying to keep low and cool.

OMG ... you’re using those big words again. I’m off to google.
Don't go down that rabbit hole, that's how I ended up doing this job. Lololol.

Back to the BBS. I'm stoked on it for sure. I surprised myself. I just needed a really aggressive razor the whole time. Just gotta wait for the Karve OC C plate to come in for comparison.

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and apricot scrub
  • Razor: Dovo Forestal 5/8 round point
  • Brush: Local Gent "Valkyrie" 24mm mixed badger/boar
  • Soap: West of Olympia Barbershop
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, Skin Bracer
  • Music: Silent Planet - When the End Began
Hey, long time no see. Glad to see you...here? I don't know what I was going with that. It was a rough last day at work the last day that I was there. That rough day led to an argument with one of my bosses, which ended with me letting him think he was right. Actually, TDSHS agreed with me before the argument started, hence why I let him think he's right. But these are just more points to jot down on how not to be a leader when my time comes. I got my first fire too; garbage truck at the landfill, nothing crazy. I think that's all the drama I have or haven't blocked out.

I spent some time honing this baby up last night and it felt better. About a minute on leather and I went to work. The soap performed as I remembered, wonderfully. I had a slight reaction to Tobacco and Coffee, but not Barbershop. It's a great barbershop scent. In actuality, the blade wasn't as sharp as I thought. Or it might be. It left a little to be desired in the atg pass, but it's not the end of the world. I'll just chalk it up to unfamiliarity with the blade. DFS-, with only a little nick under my nose. Skin Bracer was a decent pairing and did great with three drops of WS-23.

IMG_20190905_091220.jpg

Today's music selection isn't for the faint of heart because of the screaming. Aside from the obvious detractors, the lyrical content of every song is drawn from various works of literature. The music might not suit you, but the lyrics might. One of the last lines of the song posted is, "I hit the bottom then it hit me back." Man, that resonates with me.

Venessa keeps bothering me about finishing today's journal so she can read it while I upload today's video, in which she makes a vocal cameo and refrained from calling me a few expletives. Thanks for reading and watching, Cadre. Drink some water @GearNoir and @Dave in KY.

Wooohoo, looking forward to the video.

And it's really a total disappointment to hear the job isn't just about firefighter heroics, riding around with lights and sirens, and handing out stickers and little plastic fireman hats to kids.

Back