The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Life On the Wee Woo Box

I won't rehash the drama of yesterday...but being in the military I had all sorts of issues like that. I will say that organizations that have a firm chain of command make the job so much easier when people get out of hand!

Glad you like the Coconut Oud...that stuff is to die for. I have a couple tubs of the older version but I am still in need of the newer stuff!

Going back a few shaves. You are right...you can't go wrong with some Goldfinger! I'm not all that familiar with their newer stuff. Looks like they had a hiatus between 2008 and 2017. Anyway...showing my age here...I saw them in concert in Hawaii back in the 90s. Took my girlfriend's brother to his first show. Had a really great time and that is one of the concerts that I remember the most! It was a really good show!
I wish we had a strong chain of command. People are getting away with all kinds of dumb things. It is what it is. Our new chief starts next week, do I'm hoping he puts an end to all this nonsense. I had the privilege of working beside him a couple of years ago and he's a straight shooter.

No, Don. I LOVE it. It's such a smooth coconut forward scent. I just wish I had the matching balm.

I think I love you more and more everyday. Lol. They're running around with an entirely new lineup and their last album is good, but it doesn't really sound like classic Goldfinger.

I wouldn't put too much stock in my musical tatses...there are some concerts I have gone to that maybe isn't all that...I don't know...manly?

Whoa there little doggie! I know you are from Te-has and all...but we just only met! 🤪
Listen here you fake Frenchie, you have some nerve spelling Texas wrong. I have the governor on speed dial (remember when that was a thing? Lol) and we'll be invading Louisiana by sundown. Get your muskets ready! 🤣 🤣 🤣

Listen here you fake Frenchie, you have some nerve spelling Texas wrong. I have the governor on speed dial (remember when that was a thing? Lol) and we'll be invading Louisiana by sundown. Get your muskets ready! 🤣 🤣 🤣

We have a saying in Louisiana...the only reason we have a National Guard is in case Arkansas invades! 🤪

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and apricot scrub
  • Razor: Schick Eversharp G-8
  • Blade: Ted Pella (1) Hopefully right side up this time
  • Brush: Rick Montalvo "Pea Soup" 26mm 2 band Maggard SHD fan knot
  • Soap: Stirling Port-au-Prince
  • Aftershave: Thayer's, Stirling Port-au-Prince
  • Music: Set Your Goals - This Will Be The Death Of Us
  • Pomade: none today
Happy Independence Day to my fellow Americans! @uacowboy messaged me last night to wish me luck today if I were working and I didn't have a clue why until I woke up this morning. That's how oblivious I am to dates. Nothing remotely planned for today. I'm not very big on celebrating holidays or even my birthday, I'm not super sure why, but it is what it is.

We're trying a new SE blade...kinda. The last time I tried the Ted Pella I apparently left it in upside down and was understandably disappointed with the performance. I made it a point to give it a 180 flip right out the box.

I have a knotless That Darn Rob handle that is begging for a Maggard SHD knot. Until I get that ordered this will continue to be my favorite brush. I neglected it for too long.

I went for a fresh scent today and figured I still have my Stirling samples. This is such a pleasant scent.

To start the first pass I felt that the blade wasn't cutting, so doing a 180 work the blade didn't work and a full 360 was needed. Port-au-Prince did its thing. Back to the blade. It didn't feel very efficient. I ended up getting a bit of irritation on my chin because there was plenty of stubble left after two passes. I got a decent shave, nothing to complain about.

PSX_20190704_150337.jpg

I think I've posted about Set Your Goals before, but Summer Jam is a great summer themed song. Great energy and very fun music.

I now find myself drinking 8th Wonder with my former supervisor/neighbor and watching Suicide Squad because she has never seen it. I hope everybody is having a wonderful day full of celebration and fun.

• Razor: Rockwell 6S, R4
  • Blade: Wizamet (3)
  • Brush: Rick Montalvo "Pea Soup" 26mm 2 band Maggard SHD fan knot
  • Soap: Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars
  • Aftershave: Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars balm
  • Music: Boys No Good - Never Felt Better
  • Pomade: none today
I really need to type these things up on my computer so that I don't have to retype things after having my phone browser render the page again. I'll learn someday. Not a whole lot going on today. I just got back from sending off some SE blades to another Cadre member and it was easier than I thought it would be. Maybe my social anxiety has been lying to me all my life.

Switching back to the Wizamet metal stuff combination that hasn't failed me yet. I can't wait to get my 200 pack in from Spain.

I neglected this brush while I was using my restorations, so I'm using it on consecutive days. I adore this knot so much.

I wanted to smell good for the cats since we're the only ones home. I don't even know how to describe this scent other than to say that it is incredibly masculine.

I had a much better shave today. The Wizamet was smoother than my smoothest pickup line, which usually just ends up making Venessa laugh. I accidentally on purpose overloaded the brush because nunya. I might just start loading it from a bowl because the smaller size of the container isn't super great for this knot. Overall, I had a dfs+ result, and I smell incredible.

PSX_20190705_091803.jpg

Boys No Good was a collaboration of a couple of different Florida hardcore bands that wanted to make more relatively easy-going music. The songs are aggressive in their approach, but not overly so. I think they've moved on from this project, but I still love listening to this album. It's more shouting than screaming, but that's really subjective.

I have some new/old straight razors that I'll be attempting to restore. @MilkCrate and @uacowboy have inspired me. I'll probably get started on them once I finish up the brush restorations that I have sitting in a drawer.

I hope everybody is having a lovely Friday. I'll sit here playing video games and enjoy a beer for you if you're having a crummy day. Thanks for reading my nonsense.

I have some new/old straight razors that I'll be attempting to restore. @MilkCrate and @uacowboy have inspired me. I'll probably get started on them once I finish up the brush restorations that I have sitting in a drawer.

Be careful even a dull edge can bite. Don’t ask me how I know that.

Luckily none so far. The Wosty was in a bad way with active rust and the steel wool was was too slow. Switched to 600 grit paper wrapped around a cork. You can apply more pressure with the cork, but when you slip ...
Ouch. I'll try and probably fail to learn from your mistakes. 🤣

• Razor: Rockwell 6S, R4
  • Blade: Wizamet (4)
  • Brush: That Darn Rob "Milk glass" 26mm boar
  • Soap: B&M 42
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, B&M 42
  • Music: Catch 22 - Dinosaur Sounds
  • Pomade: Not really pomade, but Pomp's Not Dead Hair Tonic.
Happy Saturday! I'm changing up my entry format a little bit to cut down on redundancy me feeling like I'm forgetting something. Back to real life for a second. It's hot. That's out of the way now.

I continue to have a great shave with this metal stuff configuration. I ended up with a nice dfs. I swear I'll get a bbs someday, but I didn't feel like chasing today. I was starting to get a little brush burn when I was lathering which also contributed to not chasing. The soap performed like it should and I got the boar to whip up some nice, slick lather. Thayer's did what it does. I could feel a little sting after the Thayer's, but the splash really stung. I gotta remember to take it easy with the boar. The blade is also deceiving with it's smoothness, I keep forgetting that I don't have to apply any pressure. Overall, no real complaints.

PSX_20190706_135503.jpg

I threw in some Pomp's Not Dead Hair Tonic to help loosen up residual product. It also does a fairly decent job on it's own of letting me style my hair the way I want it.

You may also notice my new towel. Uhhh. And yeah, I totally meant for it to go with today's 42 theme. Yeah, I totally didn't just realize that was I'm typing this. LOOK A CAT!

I love Catch 22, even after Tomas left. They've fallen off the face of the Earth, but that doesn't matter to me. Dinosaur Sounds is a solid album and horrifically underrated. Enjoy more ska!

Anyway, I hope everybody is having a great weekend. I'm being dragged out to the damn outlet mall again because Venessa wants some Kate Spade nonsense. At least I get to eat while we're out. Thanks for reading my nonsense and sorry for the wall of text, even though I feel it flows easier.

Back