The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Life On the Wee Woo Box

Great report Ben! Glad you’re refreshed and ready to tackle the New Year! Stay safe out there this 31st duckman!

Great mental health goal!
I'm hoping for a parcel peaceful night as my 72 winds down, but I'll do the job at whatever time of day.

That sounds like a good plan, Ben. Be well.
You too, Bruce!

Glad you got some time to recharge the batteries Ben. Now start writing down those soaps! Inquiring minds need to know what you’re using!!! 😂😂😂
I have the empty tubs in my bathroom. I'll post them when I get home.

Great news on the downtime and getting to see old friends.

Uh ... what is this Gucci Glock thing?
Your phone already told you.

I love everything about this post! Okay...almost everything. Glad you took some time off. It's important to do this...especially in your line of work. If you don't take care of yourself...you can't take care of others.

I would love to get to the range and do some shooting. Unfortunately that is not in the cards right now. I am trying to hold on to whatever ammo I have at this point because it is nearly impossible to find almost any ammo right now.
I have mixed feelings about range time. I was hoping to shake some rust off before doing my range qualification for reasons, but yikes, there's a lot of rust. You can get some online, but dude the market really sucks. I can't wait for this to be done or everybody open up new factories to support the market.

I can't wait for this to be done or everybody open up new factories to support the market.
We can only dream. But I really think this will be a long term problem.

Honestly, try a dry fire system. I know a lot of people scoff at dry fire practice, but there is a reason that Marines, before they do their qualification week on the range, spend a week doing dry fire practice. You can get a lot of info about what you need to do to improve your pistol skills with just a quarter and your pistol.

Honestly, try a dry fire system. I know a lot of people scoff at dry fire practice, but there is a reason that Marines, before they do their qualification week on the range, spend a week doing dry fire practice. You can get a lot of info about what you need to do to improve your pistol skills with just a quarter and your pistol.
Dry fire is KING! Period. If you’re not cleaning it, field stripping it and putting it back together you are Dry Firing it...
What brand dry firing ammo do you guys recommend (if that’s what you meant)?

What brand dry firing ammo do you guys recommend (if that’s what you meant)?
Tipton Snap caps are what I use. They make an audible sound and load and cycle through your mag without an issue. You are working on grip, stance and draw. Slow, slow, slow and squeeze every muscle along the way from your holster up to the sight line. Muscle memory, changing mags etc...but this is Ben’s thread..:.😂

Glad to hear you got some solid downtime and the vaccine Ben!

Well now I'm curious, care to explain that one?
It's pretty rudimentary and not as fancy as all the laser systems out there AND can get a bit tedious. But if you place a quarter (or any other coin for that matter) on the barrel of you pistol, apply proper fundamentals and then pull the trigger. If that coin flies off before you pull the trigger then you might have an issue anticipating the shot or jerking the trigger, which will always leave you wondering where your shot went. It's a little tedious...but it works.

We can only dream. But I really think this will be a long term problem.

A whole week dry firing? Oh wait....Marines. Army does two days ;)

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and apricot scrub
  • Razor: Vector
  • Blade: Feather Super, 1
  • Brush: WWB bioluminescent
  • Soap: Sapone di Paolo Bosco
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Lavender, Sapone di Paolo Bosco balm
  • Frag: Mugler Alien Man
  • Music: Stray From The Path - Only Death is Real
Classic Ben strikes again! I followed up my 8 days off with 3+ days at work...and it all sucked. It was bad enough to warrant my captain moving me to the other truck and having my old one carry the load for a few hours while I got some rest.

I decided that I'm going to kill this one next instead of the Monkey Puck. I hadn't used a SdP soap in probably well over a year. This is definitely an underrated product in my book. What an easy and lovely shave. I picked this scent because it's a lot more neutral than the coconut one, leaving plenty of room for Alien Man to shine.

Some screaming to get the day started I guess.

It's my first day at the third job. Venessa is quite upset that I'm seemingly never home, so this might get dropped. This place is kinda leaving me hanging out to dry with absolutely no orientation. Luckily I work with the guy I relieved at the other PT job and he sorted out a couple of questions I had. Anyway. I hope you're all well and having a great new year. Thanks for reading, Cadre.

3 jobs? *ugh* Hopefully that's by choice and not necessity.

I used to LIVE TO WORK when I was younger. When I met my wife, that switched within a year to WORK TO LIVE and I ended up with a much more balanced and productive life.

Stay safe and don't burn out, Ben.

3 jobs? *ugh* Hopefully that's by choice and not necessity.

I used to LIVE TO WORK when I was younger. When I met my wife, that switched within a year to WORK TO LIVE and I ended up with a much more balanced and productive life.

Stay safe and don't burn out, Ben.
Definitely by choice. This is just money for splurges and maybe a little saving.

Thanks, Sam. I hope you're enjoying your retirement.

Back