The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Life On the Wee Woo Box

I'm pretty much using anything with Menthol or other cooling agents from here on out. It's just too damn hot anymore. You guys in Texas know what I mean!
I'm starting to think about buying more (synthetic)mentholated soaps. My last job didn't require me to do this much outside. It's caliente!

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and apricot scrub
  • Razor: Weishi something
  • Blade: Feather (1)
  • Brush: WCS Ancient Stone Torch 24mm Silvertip
  • Soap: Proraso Red
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Witch Hazel
  • Music: Joyner Lucas - ISIS Feat. Logic
I didn't do any paperwork yesterday...at all. All I had to do was show up and do station duties. My community didn't need me, which is okay with me.

Today's shave is actually a challenge posed by @DocHoliday0831. The challenge is to shave with stuff that changed wet shaving for you. I'll share my thoughts using my usual format.

The metal stuff combination is absolutely a throwback. This is my very first DE razor, which I've kept for nostalgia. It's horrifically mild, but in hindsight it was a great beginner for me. The handle is way too long and there's almost no weight behind it. And the Feather blade is from the very first 100 pack that I bought. I had done so much research and read that I would destroy my face with a Feather as a beginner and took that as a challenge. The only time I bled was when I was careless and accidentally cut a very small piece of my left nare; it bled for about an hour. I don't use these blades much anymore.

The brush is by no means my first, and it's actually my fourth if I remember correctly. My first was an Escali piece of crap that shed like it was going out of style. I replaced the shedder with a Stirling Boar, then got a Parker Finest. This brush was a clear and obvious upgrade from the boar and Parker. While it's not the best brush I have anymore, it's still very serviceable. I might actually PIF this to my captain or somebody here that might need it more than I do.

This is my very first tub of Proraso Red and is about halfway done. I remember thinking that it would be a good idea to get a replacement for when this one went empty. Yeah, that didn't happen. Shortly after that I placed my first Stirling order and I haven't looked back. I actually hadn't used this since then, about 3 years ago. Thinking back, I remember this drying my face out quite a bit, but I enjoyed the scent and so did my girlfriend at the time.

The witch hazel isn't very old, but it was a huge step forward in my post shave routine. I was looking for the astringent properties when I bought it, but the anti-inflammatory properties have probably been my favorite aspect. Up until my purchase I had been using splashes straight, which wasn't bad by any means, but I was still breaking out and my technique was horrible enough to warrant the anti-inflammatory properties. I love this stuff.

I had a mediocre shave. The razor is ridiculously mild, even with a fresh Feather blade. Proraso was a great starter soap but it lacks in residual slickness, and it really dries out my face. I got a decent lather with the brush, but I think it would've been better with literally any other soap in my den. Three passes went smoothly and without drama, so I can't really complain. Thayer's hasn't failed me yet, five thousand thumbs up for picking up the slack.

PSX_20190621_140049.jpg

Believe it or not, I listen to more than punk, hardcore, and metacore. This is my first post featuring rap. I had no idea about this song's significance until I heard it and looked up the back story. These two gentlemen were beefing over something I feel is silly, subjective take, but they had a mediator bring them together to resolve the issue. This song is the product of the resolution.

The babies hung out with me a little bit during the shave. Matilda started chewing on some ancient badger hair from one of my restorations. She's going to give me a stroke someday. Emma just meowed a couple of times.

I think that's about all I have to say for this post. I wish you all the best Friday possible. I work tomorrow and we have a Juneteenth parade tomorrow, which is a HUGE deal in my community. I'm not big on crowds and not being able to readily respond to calls, but we'll cross that bridge.

Pffft. And I thought I was done saying stuff. Now I'm done. Again, have a great Friday!

Last edited:
I have a puck of Fine Santal Absolut that smells very similar to Proraso Red. I was waiting until I finished the Proraso before I use it.

I strongly suspected that it smell similar, which is why I haven't gotten it. Fine has great stuff, but I don't need two very similarly scented soaps. I loved American Blend, but I PIFed it to a friend a couple of months after I got it.

Fun reflections of your shave!

Juneteenth parade huh? Sounds interesting. Remind me of when my sisters-in-law were young and convinced eleventeen was a number.:ROFLMAO:

Fun reflections of your shave!

Juneteenth parade huh? Sounds interesting. Remind me of when my sisters-in-law were young and convinced eleventeen was a number.:ROFLMAO:
It's a celebration of the date that abolishment was announced in Texas, June 19, 1865. My history teachers didn't do a very good job of teaching this part of Texan history, so I needed a refresher via Wikipedia.

Nice write up Ben. I'm thinking i will tackle this challenge tomorrow or sunday. still thinking about a few of my choices.

Very nice shave Ben! I am not a big parade guy...and they are kind of hard to get away from here in Louisiana. Hope all goes well.

Nice write up Ben. I'm thinking i will tackle this challenge tomorrow or sunday. still thinking about a few of my choices.
I'm looking forward to your write up and/or video.

Very nice shave Ben! I am not a big parade guy...and they are kind of hard to get away from here in Louisiana. Hope all goes well.
tenor (3).gif
No parade today! We're all relieved. We do have to make an appearance at the block party, but that's pretty easy and doesn't mess with my response.

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and apricot scrub
  • Razor: Merkur 37C
  • Blade: GSB (5?)
  • Brush: Prometheus Handcrafts "Cloud", 26mm tuxedo
  • Soap: Barrister and Mann Reserve Cool
  • Aftershave: Floid Blue
  • Music: Senses Fail - Renacer
  • Pomade: Rumble 59 Schmiere Zombie SE (Strong hold, petroleum)
Alas, my Friday is here...and actually on Saturday! No parade! Our task for today is to pull weeds. We've been told that is our priority, not the other stuff we're supposed to do. Whatever, it's not even a big deal, I'm a hard worker and don't mind sweating under the hot Texas sun.

We're back to the previous combination of metal stuff. On the topic of metal stuff, I think I'm on the verge of converting my captain. He complained about crappy razors and still having stubble after his shave. I showed him the Merkur 34C.

The software consists of a fresher, clean scent.....and some very unobtainium. I paid a very premium price for my Floid Blue, but it was also the very last one that I could find on the internet that wasn't $200 or whatever. Shipped from Denmark, it took a while to get here and I didn't get a tracking number, so I was afraid that the feds intercepted it and confiscated my alcohol!

I got a damn fine shave this beautiful morning. Easy, a little faster than usual, but effective and lacking in drama. The menthol in Floid Blue hit just right and the scent is incredible, albeit probably not the same as the original formula.

PSX_20190622_080940.jpg

Renacer is a departure from Senses Fail's previous works, and put an emphasis or returning to their hardcore roots. While not a particularly wowing hardcore album, I do feel it is underrated for what it is.

Same pomade as last shift. It works and did a better job of keeping my hair in place while I was attempting to sleep. I do have a new one coming in today along with some epoxy and sanding pads to make my restorations a little easier. I also ordered 6 knots, including a Maggard SHD.

I gotta read and study for this stupid CDL thing, so I'll leave it at that. Have a wonderful and relaxing Saturday, Cadre.

@bentheduck thanks for accepting the challenge. Nice reflection shave my friend.
It was a bit of a challenge, but it was nice to go back to before I knew what I know now. It was a reminder of how far I've come in wet shaving and life. Thank you for the challenge, TJ. Have a wonderful day.

Back