The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Life On the Wee Woo Box

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and apricot scrub
  • Razor: Vector
  • Blade: Feather Professional (???)
  • Brush: Greydog
  • Soap: B&M Terror
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Lavender, B&M Terror, Monkey Butt
  • Frag: Acqua di Parma Colonia
  • Music: Andres - The Color Morale - Know Hope
Back at work. Given the option, I'm back on the ambulance. Rare circumstances allow for two paramedics on my ambulance, and my partner is a hoot and a half.

@dangerousdon inspired me to use Terror. I hadn't used it in quite some time. I had a pleasant shave. The lather came together beautifully. Cold as ice! That's what I needed, with 5000000% humidity this morning. I think I might try to skip a shave, there's a spot under my chin that's a little tender from all the dang heavy slant shaving I've been doing. AdP to keep me feeling light and fresh.

PSX_20200709_091630.jpg

This album takes me back to a very particular place in time. I used to listen to this when I was training for a failed attempt to enlist. A friend of mine from elementary was helping me out by giving me a routine. Long story short, he was shot while trying to defuse a situation outside a bar. The good die young. I hadn't really listened to it since then, about 8 years.

All the new people are complaining about being on the damn ambulance like the damn things just grew out of the damn ground. I switched with one of them to shut him up. What a bunch of slackers. The audacity to complain about doing something they agreed to do. I'm off my soapbox now. I hope you're all well. The weekend is almost here again! Thanks for reading, Cadre.

Sorry to hear about your friend Ben.

Go out there and knock em dead! Well, keep em alive though...well you know what I mean!

Cold front up here I guess.

View attachment 29351
Looks like a lovely day from my guesstimation.

Good stuff Mr. The Duck. Nice cool shave! Yeah being and EMT or Paramedic and complaining about being on an ambulance is kind of like Joey Chestnut complaining about eating Hot Dogs!
It's still cooling my face. It feels lovely when I'm wearing my N95! I might just use this all summer.

Sorry to hear about your friend Ben.

Go out there and knock em dead! Well, keep em alive though...well you know what I mean!
Thanks, Chris. He was a good dude.

That's my forte!

• Razor: Gillette Red Tip
  • Blade: Bolzano, new
  • Brush: Valkyrie
  • Soap: CBL Master Barber Steel Grey Fougere
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Lavender, Fine American Blend balm, Monkey Butt
  • Frag: none
  • Music: La Banda Gorda
Engine day! I've been keeping decently busy so far. One of our ambulances blew a belt on the generator so my compañero and I have been troubleshooting to rule out any other possible causes and came to that conclusion. Now we wait. I just work here.

I've been dying to revisit the proper Master Barber. Dang, this stuff is good. I didn't have too much time to dial it in the way I like my lathers, but it still worked like a dream. I'm looking forward to what scents Chris releases in this base. I think I still prefer the Premium base, but not by much. I decided to go with a more mild razor today to cut back on the tenderness I've been causing myself. The blade did alright I guess. I ended up DFS, with the hardware missing the mark under my chin a bit. I think I'll live. Monkey butt. Because work. Venessa commented on the American Blend, "you smell good," while in a sleepy daze.

PSX_20200711_103626.jpg

You really can't go wrong listening to bachata and merengue. This stuff is addictive. I dare you to not shake your butt while listening.

My hands are filthy, but that's alright. I feel productive on a lazy day at work. We're expecting a high of 91 today, which isn't as bad as I thought? I think it's supposed to be 97 around my apartment, but work is a bit closer to the Gulf, so that might be why it's a little cooler. Yeah, I'm hydrating, and you should too! I'll be thinking of ideas for the two videos I've been tagged in. I definitely won't be shaving in my ambulance because (sanitary) reasons, but I'll try to think of something cool, no promises. I hope you're all well. Thanks for reading, Cadre.

• Razor: Gillette Super Speed
  • Blade: Superinox Bolzano (1?)
  • Brush: That Darn Rob Milkglass boar
  • Soap: Noble Otter Barrbarr
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Lavender, Noble Otter Barrbarr
  • Frag: none
  • Music: Jose Peña Suazo Y La Banda Gorda
I got to help break down a door yesterday. That was pretty much it other than the generator teardown. So it turns out the belt was just fine. Dear chief, you generator was acting up because a rag was sucked into the fan and made funny noises. We got the rag taken out. The teardown process took about 2 hours, and we'll be putting it back together and back into the ambulance tomorrow. Then I'll have 6 days off. Woo!

I remembered the barbershop thing I told myself I would do today. I guess Sundays could be for working towards killing this soap. I didn't realize that it was about halfway done until I really looked. I guess I can add boars to the regimen to quicken the process, this one in particular was a treat to use. This razor and blade combination was super comfortable. I'm enjoying my break from aggressive razors, but I'll probably start back up again after tomorrow. I sliced open a blemish and bled like crazy. Oh well.

"Al mal tiempo, buena cara."

I couldn't help myself from posting that song. I've been on a serious merengue kick this weekend. The party doesn't stop!

The prototype shift shirt might be here tomorrow, or Wednesday. I've thought of a couple of tweaks, but I'll wait to suggest them until after everybody has seen the shirt. @MilkCrate approves so far. I think that's it for today. I hope you're all well and enjoying this beautiful Sunday. Thanks for reading, Cadre.

• Razor: Gillette Super Speed
  • Blade: Bolzano Superinox (???)(I'm just going to keep jumbling the name together until I get it right without looking)
  • Brush: TDR Milkglass boar
  • Soap: B&M Reserve Cool
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Lavender, Floid Blue splash, Monkey Butt
  • Frag: Acqua di Parma
  • Music: La Banda Gorda
What a productive day. We got the generator put back together, installed, and running again in 3 hours. It runs like a champ again, good as new. That was a huge moment for us. In the past that would've never been allowed. I need a shower, though.

In keeping with this month's theme I went with something with cool in the name. I absolutely love this scent, and I'm glad that I was fortunate enough to be able to buy a bottle of Floid Blue, although it's not the OG version. This razor and blade combination is really impressing me, and it might be a staple going into the future. I missed BBS by a large margin, but DFS works just the same for not getting me written up.

IMG_20200713_054408.jpg

The party still hasn't stopped. We were listening to merengue throughout the reassembly.

The new guys are really starting to rub me the wrong way. I talked to my captain about my concerns. Although extremely minor in the grand scheme of things, they might need to be addressed before they get worse and people start throwing tantrums. I'm off to take a shower to get all this oil off my arms and legs. I hope you're all well. Thanks for reading, Cadre.

Back