The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Life On the Wee Woo Box

Hm ... not grumpy, fear inducing questions, removed the flying demon and shaving with unobtainium. Sounds like a great day! Be careful out there!

Hm ... not grumpy, fear inducing questions, removed the flying demon and shaving with unobtainium. Sounds like a great day! Be careful out there!
It's been phenomenal so far. You too, Tim! It's dangerous business walking out your front door! (That's actually a name of a song with lots of screaming, but it also applies to real life.)

Hope the shift...you know! (knock on wood)

What was this demon spawn? Insect Oud or mammalian?

• Pre-shave: Warm shower
  • Razor: Kama 23, Merkur 37C
  • Blade: Bolzano Superinox, new
  • Brush: Paladin Hi-rise Beehive 26mm
  • Soap: CBL Premium Barbershop
  • Aftershave: Thayer's lavender, Fine American Blend balm
  • Frag: none
  • Music: Motion City Soundtrack - I Am the Movie
Work was work. We did a couple of things. I had a scare this morning as I responded with the on duty crew to a reported serious emergency. After the call I realized that I have left a vital piece of hardware at the hospital...16 hours prior. I was not amused when I realized what had happened to make it disappear. Everything turned out alright, the part was recovered without incident. That's a huge lesson learned, it could've gone south in quite literally a heartbeat.

I purposefully didn't use this soap when I first got it until I got something that paired with it. Chris' description has it noted as inspired by Rive Gauche Pour Homme and Azzaro Pour Homme. I fell in love with this scent instantly. I tend to use matching aftershaves and I decided that Fine American was the only appropriate match, although not a perfect match of inspiration, with only slight differences. I started with the Kama, but I was a little super rusty in terms of technique and there might've been a degradation of the edge or something. There wasn't any blood, but dang after a wtg pass, I was tender. I ditched the straight well before I had planned. The Bolzano was a little rough if I'm being honest, but some of that might have been the tenderness. I cleaned up with a tiny bit of blood on my neck, no need to call in sick tomorrow. Thayer's did a good job of starting the healing process. American Blend balm did the dang trick, very cooling, but without the severe alcohol hit.

IMG_20200624_115043.jpg

Yet another throwback to being a teenager. Feelgood music for when I'm a little too much in my head and overthinking things. Pretty much all of the songs on this album are about thinking too much and letting it get to your head in one way or another.

I probably won't be driving the engine tomorrow if nothing changes. We're getting to the point in staffing where I'll pretty much permanently be assigned to the engine. I'm not happy about where the state is going in terms of positive results. Houston area ICUs are almost at capacity. It's gotten so bad that one of the children's hospital systems has opened up for adults. Not cool. I think that's it for today. I hope you're all well. Thanks for reading, Cadre.

Yeah I don't know what to tell you Ben. Part of me thinks the state opened too early and part of me thinks that the state did what it had to, but upped the fill capacity too early. All of me thinks that as always the selfishness of individuals is entirely to blame. Spikes in confirmed cases was bound to happen though and maybe it is better that it happened now and not in September when kids are supposed to go back to school And football is supposed to start.
Great read Ben!

Maybe a do over?
That's a very nonspecific question that applies to damn near everything in my post and yes is an appropriate answer to all of them 🤣

Yeah I don't know what to tell you Ben. Part of me thinks the state opened too early and part of me thinks that the state did what it had to, but upped the fill capacity too early. All of me thinks that as always the selfishness of individuals is entirely to blame. Spikes in confirmed cases was bound to happen though and maybe it is better that it happened now and not in September when kids are supposed to go back to school And football is supposed to start.
Great read Ben!
I just work here, dude. I dunno. I can point the blame at Abbott or TDSHS, mayors, citizens, but it won't change what's already happened. At this point we just have to bear down and deal with it, there's no way around it.

I just work here, dude. I dunno. I can point the blame at Abbott or TDSHS, mayors, citizens, but it won't change what's already happened. At this point we just have to bear down and deal with it, there's no way around it.

Totally agree Ben. Side note I used that line a lot when I worked at Bass Pro and customers wouldn't get their passes to see Santa Clause 🤣

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and aptic5 scrub
  • Razor: Vector
  • Blade: Feather Pro (1)
  • Brush: Paladin High Rise Beehive
  • Soap: GTB
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Lavender, GTB splash
  • Frag: none
  • Music: New Found Glory - Forever And Ever x Infinity
It's been an interesting day so far. I'm assigned to the engine and I've had a bit of free time to do stuff I wouldn't normally feel comfortable doing...like pretty much anything. At 5 I'm gonna hang out in the tool room and work on taking apart some straights apart to clean the scales up and reinstall them.

@DeepSea inspired me to grab GTB. It smells so good, but my face doesn't like it as much as my nose does. I'll have to put on some Proraso pre-shave next time I use it. The Paladin feels broken in, but it can't be that easy. I ended up BBS. BBS w/ GTB FTW. That's as many acronyms as I can fit together to make a reasonable sentence without actually making a sentence. I forgot to put on the Monkey Butt, hopefully I won't be punished for that mistake.

IMG_20200625_052247.jpg

The album finally got released. I really like it. By no means is it their best work, but I'm enjoying it. There are some really fun love songs. I just might learn a couple and serenade Venessa to help her forget that I'm dum.

The weather isn't super great right now. It's been raining for the past few days. I don't know what the city thinks is going to happen today or over the weekend, but they parked the high water truck over here. The map doesn't look that bad...yet. I might also work tomorrow, tomorrow's shift will be super short on certified firefighters. Somebody told the new guy on that shift that I'm the bees knees as a paramedic for some reason. I had to modestly tell him that I'm a rookie paramedic with lots to learn. But it's cool that I have a good reputation to precede me, whether I agree with it or not. I think that's it for today. I hope you're all well. Thanks for reading, Cadre.

PS Unless I butcher SV again or I'm working, video tomorrow when I wake up.

What’s the “high water” truck? Is it just a better sealed vehicle for flood emergencies?

What’s the “high water” truck? Is it just a better sealed vehicle for flood emergencies?
I forgot the military name for it. But it's pretty much this except ours is still in woodland camouflage for whatever reason. It really belongs to PD, but they don't have anywhere practiced to store it or very many people who can drive it. It's definitely only used in flooding situations.
maxresdefault.jpg

Back