The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Life On the Wee Woo Box

Blah :(
Office politics (and many other things in life) is often more about HOW things are communicated rather than WHAT things are being communicated.

Another one of the guidelines/rules I go by: Praise in public, Critique in private.

Last edited:
Totally true. Many times it does depend if it's in a group or not. I would hope most professionals would take constructive criticism if done 1:1. I think many fewer are confident enough to take it in a group setting. Though in a perfect world, everyone in that group at one time or another admit to needing to do something better.

Blah :(
Office politics (and many other things in life) is often more about HOW things are communicated rather than WHAT things are being communicated.
I absolutely agree with that. I have conflicting feelings on the "you catch more flies with honey" approach. It doesn't seem to work very well where I work, although it is my first attempt to get things fixed.

Totally true. Many times it does depend if it's in a group or not. I would hope most professionals would take constructive criticism if done 1:1. I think many fewer are confident enough to take it in a group setting. Though in a perfect world, everyone in that group at one time or another admit to needing to do something better.
And maybe some of it is not recognizing that it's okay to make mistakes. Personally, I'm scared out of my mind that I'm going to do something wrong, but I'm confident that if I do I can usually fix it. That's actually a lesson I learned while honing my razors.

Maybe I can take that idea and run with it. Maybe have a shift meeting and go around in a circle, admit to needing to do something better, and set a plan in place. It'll bring out the humanity in us by being vulnerable, and it'll also bring out since humility. I know I can use both from time to time. I'll have to think on that because we have so many different personalities on my shift and that might not work as well as I think it will right now.

So ... nice shave!

I think constructive criticism is fine. But apparently my delivery needs some work.
I feel that. I suspect that it might be time to go back to the drawing board. I'm perfectly fine ruffling a few feathers, but it might not be the best approach for everything.

I’m a milk crate with dreams! Don’t taz me bro.
tumblr_n9juprJUVf1rvnnxxo2_400.gif

I'm a fan of gentle course corrections for the most part when it come to the people I work with. But, there are absolutely times when both harsh and public corrections are the right call, especially when it comes down to posing a risk to your personnel or mission.

Ben I think it is just our society today. Everyone says they want critical feedback, but what they really want is to be told that they're perfect. Nobody wants their flaws on display which is why social media is so big. You can lie and portray yourself one way online, and consume yourself in that false reality leaving your flaws in the dark.
Leadership is being able to accept the fact that you are flawed and you're willing to work to correct those flaws. Leaders are also criticized the most. You are obviously a leader among your peers and obviously some of them have a problem with it. Unfortunately you are going to be under a microscope, but all you can do is give it your best each day and learn from mistakes.
Hope it gets better for you bud.

I'm a fan of gentle course corrections for the most part when it come to the people I work with. But, there are absolutely times when both harsh and public corrections are the right call, especially when it comes down to posing a risk to your personnel or mission.
I guess the lesson for me lies in figuring out where that line is to determine which to do. The issue today hardly concerned life or death, but it concerned a considerable amount of resources, and it's a fairly consistent behavior of letting things fall through the cracks. I'm concerned that if the trend continues, substantially more important things will fail when it matters most.

Ben I think it is just our society today. Everyone says they want critical feedback, but what they really want is to be told that they're perfect. Nobody wants their flaws on display which is why social media is so big. You can lie and portray yourself one way online, and consume yourself in that false reality leaving your flaws in the dark.
Leadership is being able to accept the fact that you are flawed and you're willing to work to correct those flaws. Leaders are also criticized the most. You are obviously a leader among your peers and obviously some of them have a problem with it. Unfortunately you are going to be under a microscope, but all you can do is give it your best each day and learn from mistakes.
Hope it gets better for you bud.
That's a good point. Maybe it's a lesson that not everybody has learned yet. I'm still figuring out how to be an effective leader and am incredibly open to criticism and actually seek it. But that's just me. I can see how just about everybody else doesn't like their problems highlighted, it's uncomfortable, but I feel that failure is way more uncomfortable.

That's a good point. Maybe it's a lesson that not everybody has learned yet. I'm still figuring out how to be an effective leader and am incredibly open to criticism and actually seek it. But that's just me. I can see how just about everybody else doesn't like their problems highlighted, it's uncomfortable, but I feel that failure is way more uncomfortable.

It just means that not everyone is a leader which is perfectly okay. If everyone was a leader then nothing would get done because everyone would be going a million different ways. Just keep doing your thing and you'll be alright.

It just means that not everyone is a leader which is perfectly okay. If everyone was a leader then nothing would get done because everyone would be going a million different ways. Just keep doing your thing and you'll be alright.
Thanks, Pat. It'll definitely keep at it and grow into being a better leader.

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and coconut and coffee scrub
  • Razor: Ball End Tech
  • Blade: Gillette Rubie
  • Brush: Prometheus Cloud
  • Soap: Dragonsbeard
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, Dragonsbeard skin food
  • Frag: Cuba Gold
  • Music: Probably something loud and fast
I'm still waiting for somebody to come fix my dang electricity. I'm desperately trying to be patient and calm because reasons. It'll all be alright.

I noticed that the skin irritation was starting to subside, so I decided to give shaving a go. I went with a more mild razor and decided to crack open a tuck of Rubies. A happy coincidence of using this software is that the soap base was created by Vida at Oleo who has skin problems, and Frank who designed the splash to nourish skin. Combined, I accidentally gave my irritated face what it needed. The Rubie was really nice in this razor. Hours later, I can definitely feel the irritation has gone down significantly. I think it's just allergies. Cuba Gold is just a couple of notes shy of being PR One Million, and at a fraction of a fraction of the price.

PSX_20200609_202958.jpg

I forgot what I listened to today. Weird.

Unrelated to my usual post format. I just remembered that Dave mentioned that the Zazzle crew was asking why I haven't made a video recently. I'll get one out again when my electricity is fixed, there's no correlation, but I'd like to shave and record in peace. And I think I might be changing things up a touch, a little less VLOG and a little more actual shaving talk.

I was thinking that tomorrow is my last day off, but a quick look at the calendar revealed that I had no idea what day it is. Today is only day two, with two more days off. Despite having more days off ahead of me, I'm looking forward to going to work. I've been alternating engine and ambulance time with the other paramedic at my station. It's been working out well. I know he appreciates my passion and skill that leaves him to focus on other things when I'm on scene with him. I haven't needed him on scene just yet, but I suspect that he'll be helpful for me too. I hope you're all well in this beautiful whatever day it is now. Thanks for reading, Cadre.

Cuba Gold is just a couple of notes shy of being PR One Million, and at a fraction of a fraction of the price.
How's the longevity?

In good faith to you promising to fix said issue, Zazzle gives you:
ENDS TONIGHT
For the King of Your Pride
25% Off Sitewide
Customize a gift for the one always
by your side

Back