The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Life On the Wee Woo Box

The brush is looking good Ben. you might stop by a hobby store and see if they have a really tiny paintbrush and some enamel paint to fill in the stamp on the bottom.

Also today is my friday as well and it has been the cherry on top of a week of crazy. didn't even get to brew my coffee until 930 and i started at 6!
The Rub n Buff that I ordered came in today. That should take care of the stamp with the exception of me taking off too much around the numbers. I might look into re-stamping the numbers.

Man, I needed coffee too. The nonsense just started. Toss me a beer! Let's finish the week off strong!

Now that the knots are in, here's how they will look once they're placed...

IMG_20190614_200418.jpg
Oh man, I love the way the 200T looks with that fan knot. It cleaned up so well. I just need to set the knot and clean up the Rub N Buff. You see, things aren't always better when you apply too much. Not too worry, I'll get some mineral spirits to clean it up when I get more epoxy to set the knot.

IMG_20190614_200408.jpg
The 100 still needs quite a bit of work, but I think it's going to look ridiculously sharp. I'm very happy with how it's coming along.

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and apricot scrub
  • Razor: Merkur 37C
  • Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
  • Brush: Rick Montalvo "Pea Soup" with Maggard 26mm 2 band SHD fan knot
  • Soap: CBL Cut Tobacco
  • Aftershave: Stirling Soap Co Stirling Gentleman
  • Music: Hostage Calm - Die On Stage
This is the start of my 48 hour shift. Luckily it's the weekend, so I might be able to catch a nap tomorrow if today goes haywire. I ended up going home at 5pm yesterday after being held over 10 hours. My next couple of paychecks should look very nice.

I haven't used a GSB in a while. I bought a sample pack a year ago and knew that I liked them instantly. I never bought a full 100 because they're a little pricy, but I got them on in sale.

My favorite knot. I'm gonna have to put one of these in one of my restorations. It's an easy decision except they're a little pricy at about $35 for a 22mm.

I had been itching to get Cut Tobacco. I'm a sucker for tobacco. This is a pretty straightforward tobacco scent, just sweet enough to do the trick. The performance is top notch of course. I didn't realize that I had a better matching splash, Santa's Pipe, until after I put on Gentleman.

I had a stellar shave. Easy three passes with a fresh GSB. Not really too much to report on. I guess I had a minor reaction to the soap, but it wasn't bad enough to bother me.

PSX_20190615_092454.jpg

Hostage Calm is extinct and actually broke up shortly after releasing this album. This is a nice collection of relatively calm music compared to the other stuff I listen to.

Happy weekend, Cadre. I hope today is as relaxing as it needs to be.

Cut tobacco is one of my favorites, there are others similar to it but none are as close to cured cut tobacco. I also like the cigar shop type tobacco scents.

I’m not a big de blade user anymore but GSB are easily in the top 2-3 blades for me.

Cut tobacco is one of my favorites, there are others similar to it but none are as close to cured cut tobacco. I also like the cigar shop type tobacco scents.

I’m not a big de blade user anymore but GSB are easily in the top 2-3 blades for me.
The Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars you sent me is a strong contender for my favorite tobacco scent. Your Cut Tobacco, Moon Soaps Havana, and Siliski's Santa's Pipe are neck and neck in my books.

The H&V was one of my favorites but since I’ve made the cut tobacco and the cigar shop soaps I rarely reach for it. Some can get a bit sweet but there’s something about a nice tobacco scent that makes me happy.

Same. Might be because my grandpa always had a pouch of Bugler with him. While not the richest tobacco by any stretch, it does smell good, and I was always fascinated by my grandpa's cigarette rolling.

• Pre-shave: Waking up and doing reports
  • Razor: Fatip Grande
  • Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Sharpedge (???)
  • Brush: Crazy Badger "Creamsicle" with a 24mm tuxedo knot
  • Soap: Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars
  • Aftershave: not today :(
  • Music: Roy Buchanan - You're Not Gone
I'm just now reaching the 26 hour mark of my 48 hour shift. It has been remarkably easy so far. My partner today isn't that great, but he does what I tell him to do without question, so I have that going for me.

I don't remember the last time I used my work gear. Probably before my last clinical or something. At some point I might switch out the Fatip for my Slim Adjustable or Red Tip. Until then, I know I can still get great shaves with the Fatip and a Sharpedge.

It's going to be another scorcher today and an orange creamsicle sounds damn nice right now. I'll also be switching out the Crazy Badger for one of the Ever Ready thangs.

Cognac and Cuban Cigars was included in a big ol box of goodies that @CBLindsay generously sent me. That box is packed full of great stuff that I'll pull out and post on every so often. Back to today's soap. I LOVE this scent so much. I'll have to get the matching aftershave stuff for sure. I'm tempted to leave this at work so I can smell amazing on extra shifts, but I don't think I can abandon it like that.

I had a great two pass shave. I did notice that the residual slickness isn't the best, but it's not a big deal, I'm not a huge buffer anyway. My face is moisturized nicely and I smell amazing.

PSX_20190616_085448.jpg

Roy Buchanan is the greatest guitarist you've probably never heard of. Jimi Hendrix was reportedly a huge fan of Roy if that says anything about his talent. Just like Jimi, he left us too soon. The report on his death is sketchy, but I'll leave you to research that on your own.

I guess I gotta go back to doing my job now. Happy Father's Day! Today isn't about getting gifts, but if you do get stuff, I hope it's awesome.

I didn't know that part about his career! That's interesting. I'm glad it didn't work out because it would've probably forced him to change up his style.

My partner today isn't that great, but he does what I tell him to do without question, so I have that going for me.
Well that’s no fun! Aren’t you supposed to go after each other with the scalpels between calls? :LOL:

Hope the shift finishes strong!

It's absolutely for the best that we only have one scalpel and it's in the kit used to deliver babies and needs to be kept sterile. If we had more the thoroughbred firefighters would've accidentally murdered themselves by now. Lol

Happy Father's Day, Chris.

stay hydrated

It's absolutely for the best that we only have one scalpel and it's in the kit used to deliver babies and needs to be kept sterile. If we had more the thoroughbred firefighters would've accidentally murdered themselves by now. Lol

Happy Father's Day, Chris.

stay hydrated

Two firefighters enter, only one will leave. The one scalpel keeps it interesting.

Hope the backside of your shift isn’t too crazy. Be careful out there.

Last edited:
Back