The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Life On the Wee Woo Box

Well, nice shave despite the burn. The Pre-Shave might help a bit, but I'm not sure that is going to totally fix the issue. Do you shave everyday? If so...maybe give your face a day or two rest. Other than that...maybe you use a little too much pressure. I know I use WAY too much pressure when I shave. Hope you can figure it out though.

My grandpa started smoking when he was 12 and died when he was 84. Although he lived a damn good life, I wish he were still around.

My wife's Dad smokes like a chimney and he just hit 70. He isn't showing any sign of slowing down...but he is starting to get the Smoker's wet cough. I am concerned for him. He is a great man...much like your Grandpa. When the father-in-law passes away...I will be a very sad man. And I will wonder how many years more he could have had with us if he just didn't smoke.

I'm probably going to rewatch from the start when I wake up from my coma. I can't wait for November and the new season. Rick and Morty forever, Morty!

For the record...I have a Pickle Rick ornament hanging in my office!

Have a great one Ben!

Well, nice shave despite the burn. The Pre-Shave might help a bit, but I'm not sure that is going to totally fix the issue. Do you shave everyday? If so...maybe give your face a day or two rest. Other than that...maybe you use a little too much pressure. I know I use WAY too much pressure when I shave. Hope you can figure it out though.
It's more of a reaction burn, but I'm taking a couple of days off anyway because I don't work again until Tuesday. I'll have to crack open a dermatology web page to do more research on mild allergic reactions to maybe help everybody out.

My wife's Dad smokes like a chimney and he just hit 70. He isn't showing any sign of slowing down...but he is starting to get the Smoker's wet cough. I am concerned for him. He is a great man...much like your Grandpa. When the father-in-law passes away...I will be a very sad man. And I will wonder how many years more he could have had with us if he just didn't smoke.
Just make the best out of the time that you have left with him, no matter how long it is. I wondered that too, but it doesn't make too much difference, everything happens for a reason.

For the record...I have a Pickle Rick ornament hanging in my office!

Have a great one Ben!
My fiancee bought me the portal gun for my birthday a couple of years ago and I have most of the comics!

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and apricot scrub
  • Razor: Gillette Adjustable Slim L4
  • Blade: Astra SP (1)
  • Brush: Wild West Brushworks, the other other glowy one, 24mm 2 band badger
  • Soap: Ariana and Evans Frozen Mojitos
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, Stirling Soap Co Bay Rum
  • Music: Issues - Black Diamonds EP
I wasn't going to shave today, but I've had this stuff lying out on my counter for too long and couldn't resist a quick shave. My captain invited my shift over for a BBQ, prompting me to shave. I'm definitely also just now deciding that shaving is my reward for getting a few recertification classes done today.

New to the cadre metal stuff. I've been shying away from the slim because I didn't really know how to use it until recently. @dangerousdon reminded me, to paraphrase, not try to shave my face off with too much pressure. That has been a problem in the past with this particular razor. And what better blade to use than a trusty Astra SP when relearning a razor.

I kinda just grabbed the most tropicalish brush I have to go with everything else in the shave. I feel this might be one of my more underrated brushes because of the knot. It's a great general use knot.

I've been waiting to use this again for a while. It's a great refreshing scent that's making me crave a mojito. I've never had a mojito in my life, margaritas are more a thing where I'm from, but this is what I imagine they smell like. I threw in Bay Rum just because.

I had a very nice and effortless one pass shave. I was sure to hydrate my lather and it paid off, oh man did it pay off. The blade glided through the whiskers and I could barely tell it was working at all. The menthol in the soap was a nice touch and doesn't take away from the scent, at least for me.

I had a moderate burn when I applied the splash. Maybe it has more to do with alcohol content? I'll have to do some research and tests. I haven't had this happen with any other Stirling splashes, but I've also never had samples. Back to the splash. This is a very nice, classic scent. I don't think I liked the clove note the first time I tried it, but my nose has evolved and I feel it brings another dimension to the scent.

PSX_20190607_164402.jpg

Issues is a fun metalcore band. This band is the result of a split from another band, resulting in lots of drama. The two notable songs for me are Princeton Ave, which is about domestic abuse, and Her Monologue. Her Monologue blew my mind the first time I heard it; there's silence at the end, some singing, then one of my favorite Hispanic rappers, Snow That Product, starts doing her thing. That's not a collaboration anybody could've predicted.

I've got a lot to say for a simple one pass shave. Dang.

On the restoration project I ordered some sandpaper pads, Flitz, and Rub n Buff. I decided that I'm not going to alter the handle too much and put in a 22mm knot; I think there was a 20mm originally, but I'm going to leave the cup out to add a little space. I'll try to post progress pictures tomorrow.

I have one of my cats Emma begging for attention, so I'll end this here. I hope everybody had a productive week and is having a great start to the weekend.

Bonus cat picture
IMG_20190607_175448.jpg

Restoration progress...

So I'll start by saying I'm really bad at taking pictures and remembering where I was in the process.

IMG_20190608_170155.jpg
This is just after I started with 320 to really take that damn Dremel damage out. It took a few minutes, but I got it out. I also did the rest of the handle without much drama.

IMG_20190608_180759.jpg
There was a notch that prevented the cup from rotating during use and needed to be removed. Again, a few minutes of 320 did the trick. It's notable that the handle is made up of different parts that are glued together. With the being said, holy crap those parts are sharp. I sliced up my index finger pretty good, but no blood.

IMG_20190608_184856.jpg
I want to say this is at the end of 800 or maybe the beginning. Who knows. I don't. Moving on. After cleaning up the damage the rest of the sanding was straightforward and easy.

IMG_20190608_195343.jpg
This is at the end of my *cough* first time finishing with the 5000. I say first time because I started applying Flitz with my Dremel and immediately caused damage from the higher than expected RPM. That happened twice and resulted in me going back to remove material to clean it up, not a big deal, just heartbreaking.

Aaaaand the almost finished product...
IMG_20190608_203914.jpg
IMG_20190608_203929.jpg
IMG_20190608_203935.jpg

I ended up applying the Flitz with a paper towel with very nice results. As you can see, this thing polished up beautifully.

The only things left are to put on some silver leaf Rub n Buff on the bottom to fill in the lettering, secure the weights (25 pennies) with epoxy probably, and install the knot.

I'm stuck between installing a 22mm or 24mm again. I think I can take off enough material to make an appropriate amount of space for a 24, but it'll be time consuming.

Thoughts, suggestions, and beer recommendations are very welcome.

Looking good. something i use for a lot of projects to get a great shine is Micro Mesh pads.
the grits don't line up with normal sand paper but they last a while and are meant for wet sanding. if you decide you enjoy this process they might be worth looking into.

just be careful and go slow if you decide to go for the 24mm.

as for beer, Left Hand Milk Stout is always a good choice!

Noted. I had looked at them because I heard good things, but I'm not familiar enough with sanding to jump into wet sanding. Plus dry sanding let's me see exactly what I'm taking off. I'll definitely get those, though. I noticed quite a few micro scratches that I want to clean up, and the pads should do the trick.

I'll try to find it near me. There's bound to be a liquor store nearby that carries it.

i would start the pads after about 600-800 grit. Wet sanding is great. cuts down on dust a lot and i just keep a towel or old shirt i don't mind getting dirty on hand to dry the piece off and see what i have.

Alright, I'm sold. It'll be a good investment because I'm definitely going to restore more brushes in the future.

That is so much better than I would do. I have several brush handles that I have been wanting to restore myself. As far as the 22mm vs the 24 mm goes. How about finding a really dense 22mm Fan and that way it will give the appearance and feel of a larger brush!

As far as beer recommendations go...not sure you can get it in Te-has or not...but try to find Gnarley Barley Jucifer. It is advertised as an IPA but doesn't taste like any IPA I have ever had. It's a lot less on the pine cone and more on the fruity juiciness! It's just damn good.

That is so much better than I would do. I have several brush handles that I have been wanting to restore myself.
Send them to me and I'll try to fix em up for you. It's not anything too crazy that you can't do, but you probably have a lot on your plate.

As far as beer recommendations go...not sure you can get it in Te-has or not...but try to find Gnarley Barley Jucifer. It is advertised as an IPA but doesn't taste like any IPA I have ever had. It's a lot less on the pine cone and more on the fruity juiciness! It's just damn good.
You make it sound like I'm not 3 hours from Lafayette. I'm sure I can find it downtown or in the heights.

Send them to me and I'll try to fix em up for you. It's not anything too crazy that you can't do, but you probably have a lot on your plate.

You make it sound like I'm not 3 hours from Lafayette. I'm sure I can find it downtown or in the heights.
With distribution laws it's crazy what can and can't be had even just across parish/county lines. I think you can probably get it in your neck of the woods...but wasn't sure.

With distribution laws it's crazy what can and can't be had even just across parish/county lines. I think you can probably get it in your neck of the woods...but wasn't sure.
And I thought dry counties were stupid. That's asinine. I'm almost certain I can. There's a Specs warehouse downtown filled with all sorts of eclectic alcoholic goodies.

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and apricot scrub
  • Razor: Rockwell 6S, R4
  • Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (???)
  • Brush: Prometheus Handcrafts "Cloud", 26mm tuxedo
  • Soap: Barrister and Mann Bay Rum
  • Aftershave: Barrister and Mann Bay Rum
  • Music: Boys Night Out - Trainwreck
  • Pomade: Shear Revival - The One Who Knocks (medium hold, petroleum based)
Good morning, Cadre! It's Taco Tuesday! After 6 days off, it's good to go back to work, I kinda missed it. I'm about halfway done with my recertification crap which I procrastinated on for several months and is due at the end of the month.

It's time I went back to the trusty 6S it's wonderful steel companion. I have 4 days of growth to reduce, so this will be a great combination.

This brush was grabbed based on the software. I was thinking another tropical theme and figured blue skies with a couple of clouds to offer some shade fit the bill.

This is only the second or third shave with this soap since it returned to stock after being temporarily discontinued in the Harvey aftermath, and I had only used it three times after I bought it because I wasn't sure if I could get it again. Stirling Bay Rum has grown on me, but this rendition is my favorite of the two. I appreciate the sweeter notes of this take that has no clove.

I had one hell of a shave. The first pass went fairly smooth, with only a minimal amount of tugging, almost negligible. The second and third went very well, so much so that I decided that I would try for a bbs. There are a couple of spots where I refuse to try for a bbs, but I got it everywhere except those places, with no irritation. I threw on some Thayer's for good measure, but I doubt I needed it.

PSX_20190610_232949.jpg

This is easily the most depressing record that I listen to. Trainwreck is a concept album that follows the protagonist from the accidental homicide of his wife in his sleep, to his psychiatric treatment, eventual fall into depression and insanity caused by missing his wife, and the final song that has his therapist finding him emaciated on his floor singing his sorrows until death. The imagery really paints the picture throughout the album. Despite the depressing theme, quite a few songs are upbeat.

I've been meaning to add my hair products for a long time and I finally remembered today! First off, I'm a Whovian. I can say with a fair amount of certainty that the label is a nod to a very fun Doctor Who episode. Are you my mummy? The scent isn't anything to write home about, it's pleasant. I wish there were a stronger hold, though. I have curly hair and it can be unruly if the product isn't strong enough.

My truck is back from its nonsense. Man it sounds like we're falling apart, but it's okay, I'll throw the city on my back and take care of business.

I hope everybody is having a great day so far and if not, make the best of it, fam!

Nice shave Ben.

Why didn't you just use your sonic to fix the truck? it would have been much faster. :p

Back