The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Life On the Wee Woo Box

I'll see you on the other side.
tenor (1).gif

Sorry about the shift Ben but that was yesterday. Great read, especially the follow up to the journal post. Thanks for the pic, you may have reset my pic brain now 😂
And now it was two days ago. I'm working on expanding my knowledge these next three days. I'm glad I fixed you, that's a great start for me! 🤣

Wise words, reminiscent of the serenity prayer.
While I'm not very religious, I grew up with my mom having that prayer on her bathroom mirror. I grew to appreciate it for the message more and more each day.

Screw it. I just ordered a tub of Rossa. Split my den amongst yourselves when Venessa kills me.
just show her this...
tenor.gif

I just got the email that it's on the way. 🤣 If I else fails, I'll just tell her that I'm not even close to having the most soaps. I might have 100, maybe a little more.

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and coconut and coffee scrub
  • Razor: Dovo Forestal
  • Blade: fresh
  • Brush: WCS Deranged Edition
  • Soap: CBL YSL for Men
  • Aftershave: Skin Bracer
  • Frag: none
  • Music: The Get Up Kids - Rock Against Bush
I spent most of my day trying to hone my Wade and Butcher I think 7/8??? I'm too lazy to get up and measure. It's being quite stubborn and the smile isn't really helping. I'll tame the beast soon enough. I also polished the edges of 3 other straights in preparation for the arrival of a bit of a controversial finishing stone. The Imperia la Roccia. It's advertised as 12-14k. Whatever, it's smooth. Lapping it was easy enough. The fact that it's smaller than my Naniwa stones was only an obstacle for the first few passes. And I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I think it did its job. More on that in the next section. The talk on this stone is that it's not as good a finisher as described by the seller, and in some cases chips the edge. I had a good experience, no chips. YMMV?

This shave was absolutely only because I wanted to test my edge. YSL was another back of the drawer grab. This was part of a lot that Chris sent for me to try out and gauge possible interest. It's not on his site anymore, and I don't remember if it even made it there. It's a pleasant scent, but not really my type. Another thing that might've knocked it down a bit was how soft it is; it's barely not a cream, but that doesn't bother me as much as it bothers others. Oh yeah, the edge. It wasn't the most super duper comfortable edge, @uacowboy still has that distinction, but it wasn't super far off. I think with a little refinement of my technique I can get there. But this was one hell of a first try, plus Venessa's gift is finally getting used. Also. Fun fact. I bought this bottle of Skin Bracer a couple of hours before I met @MilkCrate. Good times.

It's nighttime, Dave. No sunlight, no pictures. I don't make the rules, dude.

A nice chill song reminiscent from my freshman year of high school. I thought I was being super edgy and cool by listening to all this anti-war music when all my friends were listening to whatever crap was on the radio.

Tomorrow I'll be spending time going over my protocols because I feel I need to brush up on a few details. It doesn't hurt that the coming part time job uses the exact same ones, so I'm looking to birds. Operations at work will be back to normal starting first thing next month. Of course that means I'll have 5 days off before I go back again after my next shift on Thursday. I can't stress how much my mind needs this change. I've been needing a mental health day, away from everybody and everything for the past few weeks. I'm excited, but I can't let my guard down. Man there's a lot to this entry for a one pass shave. I guess I'll wrap it up here. I hope you're all well. Thanks for reading, Cadre.

PS In light of Dave's comments at the end of his latest video, I just want to thank the owners and all of you for making this such an awesome place to talk about our seemingly ridiculous hobby and more. If at any point I say or do something that upsets you in any way, please let me know. Let's keep TSC a healthy community.

Unobtainium soap! Nice.

Glad your work will be getting back to some normalcy...even if you’re still stuck with dweebs :ROFLMAO:

Awesome read Ben! Honing is definitely something I am going to get into either next year or the year after.
Plenty of time to do research! I like it. Holler if you need any help.

Unobtainium soap! Nice.

Glad your work will be getting back to some normalcy...even if you’re still stuck with dweebs :ROFLMAO:
They're my dweebs, though. My shift is stacked with high quality paramedics and firefighters. There's not a thing we won't be able to handle. And as soon as I pass my Hazmat exam, we'll have the only two hazmat technicians in the department.

Hope you get your de-stress time Ben.

I am upset about the lack of pics but for the peace of the Cadre will bite my tong..............................hold my keyboard back 🤪
But the sunlight powers the camera in my phone, Dave! It was nighttime. I'll have to make up a better excuse today, though. 🤣 🤣 🤣

So what are you buyng today?
Maybe some scales I found on the bay. Nothing fancy, but I have a Wade and Butcher that needs a shell. I adore translucent scales for some bizarre reason.

The Get Up Kids! I don't know much about them, but I love everything I hear!
It's taken me quite a while to get into their music. Stupidly, I didn't listen to them in high school because they didn't scream. What a dumb reason to not listen to music. 🤣

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and coconut and coffee scrub
  • Razor: Central Cutlery Co "Cornell"
  • Blade: fresh
  • Brush: Grizzly Bay I think it's Deranged too???
  • Soap: Summer Break - Prom King
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, Summer Break Prom King
  • Frag: JPG - Le Male
  • Music: Masked Intruder - III
Not a whole lot to mention today. I bought 3 sets of scales, 1 set (the dyed camel bone) specifically for the Wade & Butcher Long Bow that is living without a shell. The other two sets are translucent, one red and one blue. I'm not super sure what I'm going to do with those, but I'm actively looking for Soviet straights; although if I do end up getting one I might leave it as is. I'm sure I'll come across something that catches my eye needing a new set of scales.

Again, another 1 pass shave. I feel my proficiency is slowly getting better. This razor has always honed up the best of all the ones I've tried on lapping film, and the ILR attempt was no different. This is one sharp razor, and super comfortable. The left side of my face isn't as smooth, probably because I'm still getting used to using it for anything other than holding delicious slices of pizza and I didn't hold it at the right angle. Prom King was a LE for r/wet_shaving, which actually prompted me to buy Le Male, which it is inspired by. The soap and splash are a little off, but it's close enough.

I GOT YOU TODAY, DAVE.
IMG_20200527_152434.jpg

More punk rock! Venessa actually likes a couple of their songs. Maybe I'll take her to one of their shows once life returns to normal and touring resumes.

I think I'm closer to having my head in the right place for tomorrow. Now that I've gotten over the hump of that paramedic stuff that I had to do I'm a lot more comfortable. Now I can continue my growth knowing that I can manage that type of event fairly effectively. A storm just rolled in so I'm gonna get off my computer as a precaution. I hope you're all well, especially @NurseDave. Thanks for reading, Cadre.

Back