The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Life On the Wee Woo Box

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and coconut and coffee scrub
  • Razor: Vector and Rockwell 6S, R6
  • Blade: Feather Pro Super (????), Gillette 7 o'clock Permasharp Stainless (????)
  • Brush: WCS Honeycomb
  • Soap: ETHOS Dragonsbeard
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, ETHOS Dragonsbeard
  • Frag: none
  • Music: Chunk! No Captain Chunk! - Get Lost, Find Yourself
I'm just now getting some free time to write this up. I don't even know where today went. I came to work and it feels like somebody hit fast forward to now. More drama keeps coming to light and it's getting ridiculous, but I'm keeping my head low. On top of that Venessa and I aren't getting along very well at all right now. My nonchalant attitude about things carries on into my relationship too easily and it presents itself in words put in combinations that hurt. Couple that with being stubborn and you get a terrible time. I think counseling might be in order, we both have some serious things to sort out, although mine are purely dysfunctional in every sense of the word.

Wow, bummer first paragraph, I know, but here's the fun shaving stuff! My first use of a soap after the 3017/solesoaping! I kinda wanted to use Unconditional Surrender today, but I also hear great things about Dragonsbeard. Oddly enough, they are slightly similar is scent, but US keeps the throne. That being said, I love Dragonsbeard's scent. I get a lot of the oud which I'm learning to love more and more. I think I should've used a different brush, possibly synthetic to get a better, more consistent lather, but I didn't and I can't go back in time, so I was left with a very good lather, which I doubt lived up the fullest potential. Science will be happening soon. The blade on the Vector felt like crap, so I grabbed the trusty 6S and put the Permasharp Stainless in it for a phenomenal shave. What a smooth and comfortable combination. I was thinking about it and the 6S is easily my most consistent razor, but somehow not my favorite. It is what it is. I finished up with the splash. That stuff soaked in almost instantly and dang that stuff made my face feel amazing. Like I said, science! Because reasons!

IMG_20200225_051830.jpg

Fun music to try to keep a positive attitude.

By chance one of my classmates from my first try at paramedic school messaged me to follow his YouTube channel and I ended up talking to him about applying where I work. It was random, but it might work out for both of us. I'll leave on that positive note before I start rambling about the other crap that's bothering me like why I have 3 intubation rolls in my truck...damn, it happened. Anyway. I hope everybody had a great day. Thanks for reading my nonsense, Cadre.

I’m all for counseling even when things stew going well. Preventive and outside opinion are valuable. And separating work stress from home is damn near impossible at times, but is an art and a science that can be worked on.

I agree with you that the 6S is a go to and reliable work horse.

Just a thought about the frustrations that come out when you’re writing. You obviously need to get it off your chest and it’s likely important you do so. Maybe start a different journal or private message you invite a few folks to for that purpose. Then you don’t have struggle feeling like you shouldn’t be sharing so much negative.

Ben dude, work on the relationship. Don't let the stress and long hours at work take it's toll on what's MOST important. Hang in there hermano
^^^^^This. (y)
I’m all for counseling even when things stew going well. Preventive and outside opinion are valuable. And separating work stress from home is damn near impossible at times, but is an art and a science that can be worked on.

I agree with you that the 6S is a go to and reliable work horse.

Just a thought about the frustrations that come out when you’re writing. You obviously need to get it off your chest and it’s likely important you do so. Maybe start a different journal or private message you invite a few folks to for that purpose. Then you don’t have struggle feeling like you shouldn’t be sharing so much negative.
Thanks, guys. It's not so much that I feel I'm being negative, more that I put on this stoic face for the public to see and it's awkward when my heart is on my sleeve like it is right now, not that I'm ashamed or anything. I'll have to work on being cognizant of what thoughts I'm sharing in the future, so maybe an actual journal might be in order, and I'll get to use my fountain pens!

Dude, do the counseling and get those things sorted out. Don’t let them fester. Our relationships are a big part of who we are and sometimes they take work. Also keep the important things front and center so you don’t lose focus. You’ve got my number, call if you need to talk.

Dude, do the counseling and get those things sorted out. Don’t let them fester. Our relationships are a big part of who we are and sometimes they take work. Also keep the important things front and center so you don’t lose focus. You’ve got my number, call if you need to talk.
Thanks, Tim. I think it'll be alright for now. Life is just kicking my butt this round, but I'll take the next one.

I agree with @NurseDave, starting a journal can be very therapeutic. Sometimes you might need to talk to someone else, but sometimes you just need to empty your brain and hit the reset button. Writing things down is a great way to do that. I started last year and it’s really been a big help.

I agree with @NurseDave, starting a journal can be very therapeutic. Sometimes you might need to talk to someone else, but sometimes you just need to empty your brain and hit the reset button. Writing things down is a great way to do that. I started last year and it’s really been a big help.
Sounds just like what the doctor ordered! Thanks for the input, OG ThreeNames.

• Razor: Vector
  • Blade: Kai Captain
  • Brush: Wild West Brushworks Arghhhhhh
  • Soap: WSP Blackbeard
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, WSP Blackbeard
  • Music: Radio Feelings - No Time For Regrets
It's a brand new day! We're rolling 3 deep in my ambulance today because we're "training" the new guy who has been doing this longer than me...a while longer. I didn't get a great deal of sleep, and what I did get wasn't super great, but Matilda is sleeping at my feet consistently and it's the cutest thing. Picking back up from where I started at 7:30. It's been a day. I need a nap, but I still love my job.

I absolutely love Blackbeard. BUT. Now it's giving me a bit of a reaction. The soap wasn't too bad, but damn that splash lit me up. The blade was pretty alright, although it was a little rough. I won't be stocking up on this blade for sure. DFS+ with one hell of a burning face. No regrets.

IMG_20200227_052309.jpg

This record was made by Russian teenagers and it's pretty dang good, in my opinion. I doubt the Dave's would appreciate it. But it's good fun and what I wish I had experienced in music when I was a teenager.

I'm 4 reports down. That's about 2 hours of typing and clicking. A lot of people complain about having to do reports, and I'd prefer it if I never had to do it again, but I actually enjoy it. I see every report as an opportunity to reflect on why I did or did not do things because of the writing style I use. My method makes it pretty obvious when I make a mistake, at least to me because I doubt anybody can read between my lines. Now that I've realized that I went down a rabbit hole, I'll just crawl back out to save you from a bunch of rambling about proper documentation. I hope you all had a great day. The weekend is almost here. Thanks for reading, Cadre.

Arghhhh and a trainee for the win! Glad there was some sunshine in your day.

I’ve been lucky so far. I have only had a reaction to Stirling Bay Rum. The soap lit me up, then the splash caught my whole head on fire. Had to wash it off, it was painful.

Last edited:
Bummer about the reaction. Blackbeard is one of my favorite scents. A pirate’s version of bay rum!
Dude, for sure. I'm gonna still use it because I love the scent. Definitely great for all year use.

Arghhhh and a trainee for the win! Glad there was some sunshine in your day.

I’ve been lucky so far. I have only had a reaction to Stirling Bay Rum. The soap lit me up, then the splash caught my whole head on fire. Had to wash it off, it was painful.
I almost washed the splash off. It was pretty bad.

1/2 hr of report writing per call? That’s crazy man!
Yeah, I'm very detailed in my narratives and I've had to give two controlled substances so far today. I've had to take every call so far for paramedic reasons.

Yeah, I'm very detailed in my narratives
On arrival pt was found sitting on their couch and was A&O x 4. They had on the cutest sweater which after further questioning I discovered was obtained from Old Navy last week on sale. On exam, pt was tachypneic but explained she just finished an upsetting conversation with her aunt were she was told her finance had been seen downtown with another woman. In my opinion she has the right to be upset because Harry has never treated her right despite her being sober for 17 days at this point.....”

• Razor: Vector
  • Blade: Feather Professional Super, new
  • Brush: HCS Merit
  • Soap: Oleo No 11
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, Oleo No 11
  • Music: Four Year Strong - Brain Pain
It's the last day of the tour, but not the last day of work for me. I still have an OT shift on Monday, but I'll have 4 days off after that, which is the next best thing to having 6 days off. My last shift was ridiculous. It was just busy enough to keep me up for 21 of the 24 hours, and there was plenty of work for me to do. One of my calls was for the end result of a high speed chase. During that response the requesting city's PD requested that we respond faster, which spurred my response of, "I can't go any faster than code 3." Apparently they didn't like it, but they asked for something dumb and got a dumb answer. Moving on.

I didn't document it, but I used GD Mallard Fougere, and I think I'm gonna do a pseudo-solesoap. The idea is to use it as long as possible, but change it up for a day or two when I get bored, then go back to it. No idea when I'll start that. But today was great. I love No 11, it's a phenomenal scent and Vida makes one hell of a soap. A fresh blade made a big difference, but I could definitely feel the blade today. I'm DFS+ and smelling great.

My picture ate my phone.

FYS dropped a new album yesterday and I've been listening to it nonstop. It sounds new and old at the same time, which is weird. You can tell that was their intent because there are some great effects that reminds me of the 90's.

I'm still "training" the new guy, but it's just a formality at this point, he knows what he's doing. I was afraid that he would be completely disinterested in EMS, but I think he's doing just fine and he's responding well to the pop quizzes that everybody gets from me. I think that's about it for today. I hope everybody is having a great Saturday. Thanks for reading, Cadre.

Back