The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Life On the Wee Woo Box

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and coconut and coffee scrub
  • Razor: see the explanation in my last post, and Klas Tornblom
  • Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Permasharp Stainless (2)
  • Brush: TDR teal and gold, 26mm Manchurian Badger
  • Soap: CBL Tonsorial Balsamic Oud
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, Derby City Winter Reserve
  • Frag: none
  • Music: Four Year Strong - Brain Pain single
Well, @FarmerTan warned me. Every single run ended up being on my side of the city, which left me busy all day. The plus side is that I got to use our new cardiac monitors for the first time, which was something I was hoping for. It was great having a new and updated piece of equipment to help me do my job. All of that EMS stuff was followed by one hell of a structure fire that broke out at 1:30 in the morning. I was out there until 8:00, an hour after I was supposed to make crew change. To say I was exhausted would be an understatement because I worked the fire on an hour of sleep the whole shift. I almost cried because of how tired I was, but I kept going because I'll be damned if I leave my partner to do work by himself, our bond runs that deep. I ended up showering and sleeping at work. I'm still tired...and sore. I still love my job.

I decided to get back on the straight razor horse and what better straight to use than my Klas Tornblom I got from the passaround box. Also, I'm super rusty so I only did one pass, followed by the sameish razor from my last shave. The only thing that changed about the razor was the baseplate - this one was the more aggressive of the two SB plates. I prefer this to the OC plate by a mile. I loved how much blade a felt, just enough to do what I needed it to do. I'm DFS+.

My phone ate my camera.

I pre-ordered the new Four Year Strong twice, once for the standard edition, and the second floor the super limited glow in the dark edition. I love their releases so far.

I think that's it? I'm scheduled to work a 72 starting Tuesday, which was my way of preventing them from calling me the day before because they all adore waiting until the last minute to call for OT. It's almost pizza time at Chez Duck. I hope you all have a lovely evening. Thanks for reading, Cadre.

Man, what a ride of a work stretch that must have been! Go soak up some freedom!
I'm sure trying. I turned down an opportunity for OT tomorrow so I could catch my breath and relax. Plus I doubt Venessa would appreciate me coming home smelling like smoke on Valentine's Day. I just saw my check stub and I was compensated handsomely for my work, but they made me work for every penny.

I suppose every job becomes a job at some points, but it’s pretty cool to say you didn’t get much sleep because you were busy putting out a fire.

I'm sure trying. I turned down an opportunity for OT tomorrow so I could catch my breath and relax. Plus I doubt Venessa would appreciate me coming home smelling like smoke on Valentine's Day. I just saw my check stub and I was compensated handsomely for my work, but they made me work for every penny.
Makes it all worth it. Plus, you're saving lives, which is priceless. (y) Most people will never have the opportunity to thank you, but rest assured they appreciate your work. I had the privilege of meeting one of the paramedics who stabilized me and saved my life after an auto accident years ago. It was 1980, and I still remember the man's name. He happened to be a friend of a friend, who made the meet-up happen after I was discharged from my third hospital. I remain forever grateful for his and his partner's efforts.

Last edited:
Makes it all worth it. Plus, you're saving lives, which is priceless. (y) Most people will never have the opportunity to thank you, but rest assured they appreciate your work. I had the privilege of meeting one of the paramedics who stabilized me and saved my life after an auto accident years ago. It was 1980, and I still remember the man's name. He happened to be a friend of a friend, who made the meet-up happen after I was discharged from my third hospital. I remain forever grateful for his and his partner's efforts.
I can't think of anybody I've had a direct hand in resuscitating, but I'm always happy to help when I can.

You'd think there would be an easier way for people to find out which crew helped you without having to know a friend of a friend. That might be something I look into. I don't give a crap if people thank me or not, but I'd be nice to give people the opportunity.

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and coconut and coffee scrub
  • Razor: Blackland Vector
  • Blade: Feather Pro Super (5)
  • Brush: Local Gent
  • Soap: CBL Tonsorial Balsamic Oud
  • Aftershave: Thayer's Original, Chilly Clubman
  • Frag: Robert Graham Valour
  • Music: Big D & The Kids Table - Fluent In Stroll
My Monday has arrived once again. It was a very restful 4 days off. We didn't do anything for Valentine's Day because reasons, but I took Venessa out for lunch yesterday. We went to a Tex-Mex restaurant that isn't worth the price, but it wasn't horrible; we could've gotten better for less, but that's where she wanted to go! This is going to be another long week with a 72 starting on Tuesday, followed by 4 days off. We have a few new hires starting soon...hopefully. One of the new hires is my paramedic instructor, so it'll be nice to work together, even though he's on another shift. His wife will be joining us too, and I'm looking forward to that too because she's a sweetheart. Of course there's one of my best friends that's coming too. Relief is in sight!

Like I mentioned in my last Vector post, this is probably going to be only used for work shaves. The blade seems to have smoothed out and was comfortable to use again. I don't know what that was all about. I'm trying to hurry up and kill this soap with a minute load time, which I should've been doing this entire time. Alas, there's clear light on the other side of the tub. I sprinkled a little WS-23 before lathering to add a little razzle dazzle. So back to the "should've be doing this all along." Yeah, I've had substantially better lathers with the extra load time. I decided to chase for a full BBS and I was rewarded handsomely. Finished up with some Chilly Clubman and 3 layers of Valour. I smell phenomenal.

IMG_20200216_051538.jpg

I've definitely been on a Big D & The Kids Table kick this week. This album in particular feels and sounds a lot different...because it is. Great tunes and super easygoing. Give it a listen.

Gotta get back to work. There was at least one technological advancement in my absence from work. Instead of wasting 300000 tons of ECG paper, I can now transfer my strips directly to my laptop. Muy bueno. Anyway. I hope everybody is having a great, restful weekend. Thanks for reading, Cadre.

Wow! Going from a work environment where you shouldn't be handling sharp objects to an environment where not only will work get done...but you might actually enjoy it! Hopefully this relief come soon!

Nice sounds like soon it will be fun hanging out at work except for the work part.
None of us mind the work part, especially when we know we can depend on each other. I know all of the people being hired except one, and they're all good, hardworking people.

Wow! Going from a work environment where you shouldn't be handling sharp objects to an environment where not only will work get done...but you might actually enjoy it! Hopefully this relief come soon!
I always enjoy it, but these people will make it more enjoyable, and it'll lower the OT so I can enjoy my free time a lot more frequently.

We didn’t do anything for Valentine’s Day either. Saving up for our annual trip to spring training next month, so Erica said she was fine with sitting at home and catching up on TV shows lol.

Great news on the work front! We're still short handed, and 50% of the staff that we do have is made up of people brought on through a temp agency. So if you know anyone that can run a front end loader, send them my way 😂😂😂

Back