The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

GearNoir’s Shave Journal V-Companion : Musings

Since EVERYONE seems to check in here I guess this would be a good place to comment on the "animalistic" note mentioned in regards to LNHC new soap base. I have no way of knowing if my thoughts are correct by i thought i would offer a thought. She is using goat milk in this new base, the sugars in milk(s) will caramelize when exposed to the heat involved in making the soap. Perhaps what is being noticed are the caramelized notes. The same notes can be detected in a beer based soap and to a lesser extent a honey based soap. How these notes play with the different frags might account for the desire to call it animalistic but now that i have suggested an alternate origin maybe you will say the smell is more of a burnt sugar type scent (minus the acrid notes). Like I said, i have no way of knowing if i am right and it really doesn't matter but I have had this thought in my head a little while.

Since EVERYONE seems to check in here I guess this would be a good place to comment on the "animalistic" note mentioned in regards to LNHC new soap base. I have no way of knowing if my thoughts are correct by i thought i would offer a thought. She is using goat milk in this new base, the sugars in milk(s) will caramelize when exposed to the heat involved in making the soap. Perhaps what is being noticed are the caramelized notes. The same notes can be detected in a beer based soap and to a lesser extent a honey based soap. How these notes play with the different frags might account for the desire to call it animalistic but now that i have suggested an alternate origin maybe you will say the smell is more of a burnt sugar type scent (minus the acrid notes). Like I said, i have no way of knowing if i am right and it really doesn't matter but I have had this thought in my head a little while.

Interesting thought. It certainly is a different undercurrent, unlike anything I have experienced so far, not that I’m a connoisseur. It does seem to dissipate, as others have said, when the tub if left to air out a bit.

I'm 4 minutes in. No soap AND a Pro blade? I think you're insane!

Nice work Chris, kudos to you for trying this and that shave with your wife's razor. I was surprised you decided to go three passes since you usually only do two with the SS on a normal shave. Think of all the money you can save!

Nice work Chris, kudos to you for trying this and that shave with your wife's razor. I was surprised you decided to go three passes since you usually only do two with the SS on a normal shave. Think of all the money you can save!

Right?!

Nope, nope, nope. I’ll do a blindfold Shave before I do a no soap Shave. You’re crazy. But, at least you’ll save a lot of money! Good luck with that.

Nope, nope, nope. I’ll do a blindfold Shave before I do a no soap Shave. You’re crazy. But, at least you’ll save a lot of money! Good luck with that.

Lol, it’s easier than it looks. Totally doable with a DE.

Oh, and the scorpion challenge is just waiting on you. Don and Rich submitted..... you’re next. Then I go!

Oh, and the scorpion challenge is just waiting on you. Don and Rich submitted..... you’re next. Then I go!

I’ll try to get to a store or two before or after work tomorrow and see what’s available.

Back