The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

GearNoir’s Shave Journal V-Companion : Musings

Last time I played an online game was a long time ago. I was on an XBOX 360 and playing one of the Halo iterations. I went online once and realized that I suck at video games when a nine year old Asian kid totally whupped up on me! I don't do online games anymore.

My son has been trying to break me in to video games. With only meager success. I started Dragon Age this morning. We shall soon see how lost and confused I become.

Glad you like it Chris!
I've got many many hours in Skyrim. I play on PC though, so I have so many "mods" in it that it's almost a whole different game. The Mrs. makes follower mods for the game too. Not sure if she has any on Bethesda.net though. That's where they would be available for console users. Haven't tried Red Dead Redemption though, so I can't comment on that one.My main play is Skyrim, Fallout, Metro, and Star Wars the force unleashed. Never got into online playing much,
I like escaping people when I play, so I don't like having more there in game.
1f606.png

I do love the story driven, open-endedness of the Bethesda games. The first one I played was Morrowind on PC and I loved Fallout 3. Really looking forward to this one.

Last time I played an online game was a long time ago. I was on an XBOX 360 and playing one of the Halo iterations. I went online once and realized that I suck at video games when a nine year old Asian kid totally whupped up on me! I don't do online games anymore.

That was probably me! ?

Nice shave and a Phenomenal knife !!

Thanks Dave!

My son has been trying to break me in to video games. With only meager success. I started Dragon Age this morning. We shall soon see how lost and confused I become.

They're a fun reprieve sometimes, other times they are as stressful or moreso than real life. ?

Got a switch from the wife for me and the kids to share this year. First system in years other than PC It came with Mario Kart which the kids will like and i also go Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild. Can't wait till i get the chance to dive into that one.

Got a switch from the wife for me and the kids to share this year. First system in years other than PC It came with Mario Kart which the kids will like and i also go Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild. Can't wait till i get the chance to dive into that one.

Yes, when we got the Switch last year, it was the same for us. Besides some F2P PC games, the kids had just been cycling through old systems - PS2, GameCube, Wii. The Switch was our first step back into modern gaming.

Mario Kart is the normal, crazy family fun. Breath of the Wild is an amazing addition to the Zelda lineup. I picked it up every chance I got, having it portable made it soooo convenient! I beat it way before my kids did lol...even then, I went for near 100% completion first. ?

Glad that the wife made it through surgery ok.
As far as gaming goes...I still have the original xbox so that tells you how hip I am.

Glad that the wife made it through surgery ok.
As far as gaming goes...I still have the original xbox so that tells you how hip I am.

Thanks John! Hey, Halo was a great game, as were some of the other Xbox originals!

I loved Halo. So many of the new games are just too complicated for this old man.

Also tell your wife to make sure to do the physical therapy. I have a friend who slacked off and lost alot of mobility. Praying for a great recovery.

I received a very fun box of shave gear to try out from the Monkey, all very high class stuff!

The plan may be to use each for about a week, giving each a fair go. I’ll record the first shave with each, give first impressions, then the next week I’ll sum up my experience and do a first use of the next item. I’ll start with the Barber Notch Klaus Tornblum SR, as I’ll likely be shaving with it the least. It is super nice, but the only real maintenance I can do on it is strop it, so I’ll give it a few uses and put it aside to preserve it.

I was really itching to try one out as soon as I saw them, but I miss read the clock in my excitement and thought it was later than it really was, and that I had to get ready for work. Hour off! Oh well...

Anyway, help me decide / let me know what you’d like to see used next, after the Klaus!

I received a very fun box of shave gear to try out from the Monkey, all very high class stuff!

I’ll start with the Barber Notch Klaus Tornblum SR, as I’ll likely be shaving with it the least. It is super nice, but the only real maintenance I can do on it is strop it, so I’ll give it a few uses and put it aside to preserve it.
The Klaus is my favorite Straight design. The Swedish steel is very hard and holds an edge like nobodies business. You may not want to use anything else after the Klaus.
1f60d.png
1f60d.png
1f60d.png

The Klaus is my favorite Straight design. The Swedish steel is very hard and holds an edge like nobodies business. You may not want to use anything else after the Klaus.
1f60d.png
1f60d.png
1f60d.png

Could be! But the more I use it, the closer the edge comes to needing a touch up, which I can’t do. Maybe I’ll come back around to it at the end. ?

Open Blade Shave #240:

Gear: Klaus Tornblum 5/8 SR, RR Big Bruce synth, CBL Roasted Oatmeal Stout soap, generic witch hazel, Lucky Tiger AS, and Ogallala Bay Rum & Sandalwood AS to finish!

Back