The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Feather SS clone pass around.....maybe?

I just received the razor that @Jaro1069 showed in his thread. This appears well built and also appears to be from the same manufacturer as my Kamisori. The blade design is the same and the overall length and curve appear to be the same. I will probably get around to shaving with it later as I already am familiar with the characteristics of the Kamisori version. It came with three boxes of 10 blades each (and nobody ask me how I ended up with three boxes instead of one, unless yo want to hear a long drama). I loaded a blade in John's razor for tonight's shave. If they are good blades, I will send off one box with the razors for the rest of you to test out. If they are terrible blades, I will send off all three boxes. ;)

View attachment 6423
Good write-up. Mine came loaded with a blade that was some type of guarded type. I tried it and it tugged big time. I was glad it only had one.

My shave with John's razor is done. It ended up more complicated than I thought it would. I loaded the blades that I got when my other razor arrived and after the first two strokes, I took the blade out and changed to a Feather that had about six shaves in. Unlike the blade that came with John's razor, this blade was without a guard, but similar to John's blade, it started tugging immediately. The Feather blade went very well, and the shave was very similar to the Feather SS, which for me was a reminder of why I don't own one. It gave a great shave, but you had to play around with the angle to get things right. Supposedly it was designed for folks transitoning from a DE or a cart, but it hindered someone transitioning from a straight.

The scales were made of real wood, which was a nice touch for a cheap razor, however the blade pivot had these massive spacers and the blade was loose. Not enough to cause any wiggle, but I would recommend taking the blade out between shaves because the big blade can open up easily and unexpectedly. Fit was not the best as in the pics I posted yesterday. The part that is removable does not sit completely to the rear, and there is a large gap where you pinch the blade holder open. None of these things affect the shave at all.

As for the original tugging blade, I loaded it in the Kai clone folder that came today. I wanted to make sure that the tugging was due to the blade and not to the design of the SS type edge. I used the Kai clone for my final touch up. While it worked better with the Kai clone, it still felt like it was ready to toss after a couple of shaves. I now have the blade loaded in my King Cobra for a shave tomorrow night. If it does not give a good shave in my KC, I will just not send the blades out to the rest of you. I know many of you have spouses and children and don't want you scaring them after this pass around.

As for @GearNoir question about the Kai clone folder, I have to admit that the fit is significantly better, the scales are tight (but made of plastic), and it just feels more solid. If you want a cheap folder that takes Feather AC blades, I would recommend this one. Just don't sign up for an account before ordering to get your $10 off code, because you won't get $10 off on a $16 razor. If you want a Feather SS clone, John's razor, with all it's flaws, shaves close to the real thing.

Last edited:
So to sum it up.... It shaves like the SS but the QC is lacking.
I was surprised that even though that bump along the edge was not as pronounced as the SS, it still retained that character, however build wise, it will never be mistaken for a Feather.

As for @GearNoir question about the Kai clone folder, I have to admit that the fit is significantly better, the scales are tight (but made of plastic), and it just feels more solid. If you want a cheap folder that takes Feather AC blades, I would recommend this one. Just don't sign up for an account before ordering to get your $10 off code, because you won't get $10 off on a $16 razor. If you want a Feather SS clone, John's razor, with all it's flaws, shaves close to the real thing.
Thanks for the response. If I could get away with a DX type folder without the DX price, I’d probably not mind that. My SS serves me well for now at least.

Thanks for the response. If I could get away with a DX type folder without the DX price, I’d probably not mind that. My SS serves me well for now at least.
I was pretty impressed with the Kai Captain folder clone. The blade is flat and not hollow ground like the DX, but definitely a good shaver. You'll get to test out the gold Kamisori and see if you like the shave.

I just received the razor that @Jaro1069 showed in his thread. This appears well built and also appears to be from the same manufacturer as my Kamisori. The blade design is the same and the overall length and curve appear to be the same. I will probably get around to shaving with it later as I already am familiar with the characteristics of the Kamisori version. It came with three boxes of 10 blades each (and nobody ask me how I ended up with three boxes instead of one, unless yo want to hear a long drama). I loaded a blade in John's razor for tonight's shave. If they are good blades, I will send off one box with the razors for the rest of you to test out. If they are terrible blades, I will send off all three boxes. ;)

View attachment 6423
i thought it was surprisingly well built for what it cost. i see you got yours about as quickly as i got mine. I hope you like it. And just a tip before i used the blades they came with in mine i did a quick 10 hand strop on each side of the blade, it seemed to help a bit !!!!

How does the QC appear on that one offhand? Look pretty nice in the photo.
it is pretty well built and the seller is in Palm Beach Florida so being in the states already the turn around is less than a week usually . It is more of a clone of the Kai Captain than the feather and the price was reasonable also.. he currently is a few dollars more than what we paid for ours, or at least a few more than what i paid and i also think more than @gvw755 paid either. but still not bad. also he takes paypal too so paying is really easy if you use paypal.....

My shave with John's razor is done. It ended up more complicated than I thought it would. I loaded the blades that I got when my other razor arrived and after the first two strokes, I took the blade out and changed to a Feather that had about six shaves in. Unlike the blade that came with John's razor, this blade was without a guard, but similar to John's blade, it started tugging immediately. The Feather blade went very well, and the shave was very similar to the Feather SS, which for me was a reminder of why I don't own one. It gave a great shave, but you had to play around with the angle to get things right. Supposedly it was designed for folks transitoning from a DE or a cart, but it hindered someone transitioning from a straight.

The scales were made of real wood, which was a nice touch for a cheap razor, however the blade pivot had these massive spacers and the blade was loose. Not enough to cause any wiggle, but I would recommend taking the blade out between shaves because the big blade can open up easily and unexpectedly. Fit was not the best as in the pics I posted yesterday. The part that is removable does not sit completely to the rear, and there is a large gap where you pinch the blade holder open. None of these things affect the shave at all.

As for the original tugging blade, I loaded it in the Kai clone folder that came today. I wanted to make sure that the tugging was due to the blade and not to the design of the SS type edge. I used the Kai clone for my final touch up. While it worked better with the Kai clone, it still felt like it was ready to toss after a couple of shaves. I now have the blade loaded in my King Cobra for a shave tomorrow night. If it does not give a good shave in my KC, I will just not send the blades out to the rest of you. I know many of you have spouses and children and don't want you scaring them after this pass around.

good write up.. i am glad johns razor seems to be working out good and just a tip about the blades that came with the Kai clone i would recommend you to hand strop the blade before use. i did that to mine about 10 times on each side and it helped. I am keeping them as a backup blade though and am using feather pro guard in it and it works fantastic that way but the clones blades are good for backup or regular use if you hand strop first.

View attachment 6423
and just so you know i saved the pic of yours since its got less stuff in your pic than mine does so i can show it if anyone ask me about the blade i hope thats okay.

Okay I have everything packed up and ready to ship to @Dave in KY hopefully tomorrow. I got your address from John when he got it to send you the blades. I also included a pack of the tugger blades. @Jaro1069 does have a point as the blades got slightly smoother after the third shave, but I still recommend using the Feathers for the real test shaves. Use the tugger blades only when you feel ready to punish yourself for putting your needs before the rest of the family.

Okay I have everything packed up and ready to ship to @Dave in KY hopefully tomorrow. I got your address from John when he got it to send you the blades. I also included a pack of the tugger blades. @Jaro1069 does have a point as the blades got slightly smoother after the third shave, but I still recommend using the Feathers for the real test shaves. Use the tugger blades only when you feel ready to punish yourself for putting your needs before the rest of the family.
I'll pass on the punish and have my own Feather Pro Guard, Feather Pro and Schick Prolines so I'll just add what @The Monkey sends to the box for others. Thanks

Back