The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Feather SS clone pass around.....maybe?

Okay folks, just got the razor from John today. I will shave with it tomorrow as I got another razor scheduled for today. I will take some time today to talk about the different types of straights that take the Feather AC blade, since it appears that this is a new experience for some.

Basically, two major Japanese companies (Feather and Kai) make straight razors that use the Feather AC format blades. The Feather AC blade is a longer version of the standard injector blade. It has the same width and thickness, but is just longer (2" instead of 1.5"). It also has several different versions ranging from mild, medium, super, and guard (which is essentially an OC on a blade).

There is a folding version and a Kamisori version and a consumer line and a higher grade line from Feather and Kai. The Feather consumer line is the SS (which John's razor is a clone of), and the consumer line is the Kai Captain (which mine is a clone of). The higher end line for the Feather is the DX and for the Kai it is the Excelsia. Like regular straight razors, the blade profile is different. The Feather SS has a large spine area and a concave blade with a "bump" area along the cutting edge. The purpose of this was so beginners could adjust the angle of the edge to find something comfortable. This was supposed to be similar in concept to the Weck with the guards.

How well it worked is a matter of opinion. John's razor does retain that shape, however not as severe as the original Feather SS and so I have hopes of a good shave. The Kai Captain went with a straight wedge type design, and the high end Feather DX and Kai Excelsia both went with a partial hollow design. The picture below shows the stuff that I was talking about. The first razor is John's SS clone, the middle is my Captain clone, and the last is my DX (which will NOT be part of the pass around).

Basic stuff - to load a blade, pinch the top spine of the razor and either slide the blade in from the front, or drop the entire blade width from the top, holding the razor upside down. To take the blade out, pinch the top again and let the blade drop out. to take the head apart, pinch the top and slide the door side forward. To put it together, keep it forward and press the top down and slide backwards. Note that for John's razor, it will never slide back completely and so try to do something like tap the front end of the razor with a hammer.

As with all pass around, take your time, sign and submit the waivers to John, and have fun. I will do a shave report tonight.

Back