The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Dragonsbeard Soap and Skin Food Splash Pass Around

Not a copy and paste from my journal this time... 🤪

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Super Max Platinum Plus (2nd Shave)
Soap/Cream: Ethos Grooming Essentials - Dragonsbeard
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
The Penultimate Aftershave: Humphrey's Lavender Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Ethos Grooming Essentials - Dragonsbeard

Okay...so second shave with Dragonsbeard Soap and Aftershave or Skin Food Splash. I should probably call it skin food splash because this acts differently than an aftershave. So the shave went much the same as last time. There isn't anything in this soap and skin food that I don't like...so that is a really good thing. There are some things that are work a bit better than others, but overall...each individual component of theses products is definitely above average. Let me try to walk you through the shave...

SOAP

Strength of Scent Out of Tub - Like I mentioned before...the scent out of the tub is light but is there.

Latherability - This soap is pretty easy to lather. Requires a little bit of water...but I would say this soap is somewhere just south of thirsty.

Slickness - I have had slicker soaps, but this one is definitely slick enough. With a couple more uses I might change my mind. But after two shaves...this is where I am.

Don I feel like the next version will be even slicker as there will be the addition of grass fed beef tallow along with the duck far in the formula along with some other slight modifications. As you said I've used some commonly referred to top soaps that slicker but the one thing I want to avoid is going overboard on some ingredients that would for sure add even more slickness but then I may be also adding some other negative issues like batch inconsistency as far as texture. I've personally gotten soaps that when arriving at my door were borderline liquid or so soft that I could stick my finger in it and it would go right to the bottom of the tub. Or I don't want to create a post shave that is either sticky or more so oily feeling. So I'd give up a bit of slickness to avoid those things happening but I'm sure I can bump it up a bit with some of the other bases I'm working on without having those issues or characteristics.

In Shave Protection - Dragonsbeard is among the best when it comes to in shave protection. I feel like this soap gives superior cushion in the shave.

In Shave Scent - The scent does get stronger in the shave. Not too strong...but pronounced and sustained through the shave.

Residual Slickness - If there is a week spot in this soap it is in residual slickness. Normally a soap of this caliber will have incredible residual slickness, but Dragonsbeard, while not bad, isn't what I was expecting. The residual slickness is still better than most soaps out there, just not as good as some of my favorites...HOWEVER...

This is a tough one as residual slickness is how I measure a soap by because I skin stretch and also do what I refer to as " Reverse Skin stretch Passes " which absolutely need residual or what I call " Ghost residel slickness " and I find some soaps give me a bit of a heavier dose of than mine but there again some of those soaps have had consistency problems which I absolutely want to avoid. On the DB soap I'm able to do a reverse skin stretch pass without a problem so it passes that test for me but my goal is to add more without losing the consistency I mentioned.

Post Shave Feel - when we talk about residual slickness...it usually correlates to Post Shave Feel. This is the first soap where the residual slickness was much different than post shave feel. The post shave feel is so much different than other soaps...in a really good way! My face feels smooth and even. I know...this sounds weird. The skin is plenty moisturized without seeming tacky. My face throughout the day kept feeling nice and smooth...ALL DAY! As I said last time, the post shave feel is different. It feels like the moisturizing properties actually get into the skin instead of sitting on top. I give this aspect maybe the best marks of any soap I have tried.

Post Shave Feel was my main focus and bringing in known skin food ingredients that are active and are absorbed quickly right into the skins subdermal layer as well as offering weightless moisturizing, conditioning and many other beneficial properties. This comes directly from working with high quality skin care products throughout the years. Also in the shave soap there are 3 things in it that add to the post shave along with benefits I won't go into but the high percentage of both Sheep's and Camels milk when combined with the EOS Complex is what you are feeling my friend. An your description saying it's weird in the way it works is in line with what most of the people that have used the soap have said in one way or another. So I'm very happy you picked up on that.

AFTERSHAVE

Strength of Scent - I definitely wouldn't put the SoS on this in the category of Fine Santal Absolut. It's definitely not that strong. It's definitely pronounced at first application...but dries tones down significantly afterwards. I think if you have a similar EdP or EdT you could wear this. My skin chemistry seems to keep the scents of aftershaves and frags longer throughout the day longer than most though. Which brings me to my next point...THERE NEEDS TO BE AN EDT or EDP of this scent! Frank...I am looking at you!

🎯 Bingo! Another one! OK I get the message! You are probably the 10th person that has asked I make an EDP or at least a EDT with the scent.. and I do plan on it. I'm not sure if I'm going to put it out there but maybe take special orders because has you probably know the aroma notes in the DB Skin Food splash and soap are very expensive. Oud resin is more expensive than platinum per oz, Agarwood oil, Rose Absolute and Mysore East Indian Sandalwood are all not far behind. The Madagascar Vanilla Beans are costly as well as Tonka beans but the good news I make that sweet blend of oil myself so I'm not paying the outrageous prices of the essential oils of the same beans. So if I make either a EDT or EDP I have to price them out before putting them out there for sale already packaged and on my website. I have very few filters so I'm not afraid to divulge some info. In the Skin Food splash the aroma is at 6% in a EDT it would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 13% and in an EDP I'd say at least at 22 to 26% so it would definitely get price up there but I have made up my mind to definitely make them but I'm thinking by custom order...It's an area I have not asked for feedback on but your thoughts on it would always be welcomed Don.

Aftershave effect - This does the job of an aftershave. A little sting but then soothing.

Moisturizing Effect - Here is where the aftershave is different than others. Upon application this Skin Food Splash immediately starts to absorb in. By the time I have applied...the face is hardly even damp. It almost absorbs immediately! But it leaves your skin feeling very refreshed and again..."smooth and even" feeling.

A funny one.. A shaving friend of mine who used it said if feels naked on the skin and weightless yet my skin feels moisturized and just normal like it should feel.. that whole normal thing was what got me! LOL

Throughout the day - The aftershave is really a compliment to the soap in a big way. It just adds to overall experience.

FINAL THOUGHTS

So I am definitely a soap and aftershave guy. I like them...and often I like them to match. I would definitely buy this soap and aftershave together because I think they both compliment each other. That being said...I think the soap really stands on it's own and I can understand if one just purchases the soap alone. The Soap is that good! Seriously though Frank...you need to make an EdT for this scent...it's amazing!

OK OK I GOT IT!! 🤪

Thank You in a big way for letting me try this. I really appreciate it. I will get this packaged up today and then in the mail likely tomorrow and off to @The Monkey ! @Dragonsbeard I'll send you the tracking number as soon as I get one! Thanks again!

Thank you Don!

Okay guys...sorry for the delay. Got caught up in some Christmas. But the good stuff is on it's way to @The Monkey and should be there by Monday! Thanks again Frank @Dragonsbeard for allowing us to try your great product!

Here is the current list:

1. dangerousdon - Finished
2. The Monkey - En Route To
3. dkeester
4 ED3054
5. ShawnF
6. Majorrich
7. Milkcrate
8. Techihci
9. Uacowboy
10.Bill in Oneida
11. Jaro1069

I'm going to bow out of the passaround since I'm going to be getting some things to test.

3. dkeester
4 ED3054
5. Majorrich
6. Milkcrate
7. Techihci
8. Uacowboy
9.Bill in Oneida
10. Jaro1069

I'm going to bow out of the passaround since I'm going to be getting some things to test.

3. dkeester
4 ED3054
5. Majorrich
6. Milkcrate
7. Techihci
8. Uacowboy
9.Bill in Oneida
10. Jaro1069
Damn you scuba Steve!

Dang...for shipping priority it seemed like it took a while. Looking back at tracking I guess it said it was being delivered today.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did John!

I got a shave in. Over all it was nice.

Soap: Nice. It loaded well and whipped up a nice lather. I did notice that the soap out of the tub isn't creamy. It is sort of chunky, kind of like a good guacamole. I found this a little odd but the soap performed well.

Skin Food: This was great. I believe I read above to apply is twice. If I'm remembering wrong sorry but it worked. A small splash, gave it a second and then a second small splash. It soaked in very quickly leaving my skin feeling soft. Not a bit of greasiness. I really like this stuff! I kept feeling my face all day.

The scent: I got a little off the puck but the splash is much stronger. I wasn't sure what oud smelled like so I was looking forward to this. At first I didn't like it. I was trying to figure out how to describe the scent. Have you ever done work on an old house? If you take an old 2x4 out of an old building (back when they were really 2x4) and run it through an table saw. Because it wasn't straight it gets caught a little and causes a black burn mark on the old wood. That burnt part is what oud smells like. As time went on the smell grows on you. It sort of becomes familiar and comforting. A few hours into it l found myself wanting to smell it more.

Soap: Nice. It loaded well and whipped up a nice lather. I did notice that the soap out of the tub isn't creamy. It is sort of chunky, kind of like a good guacamole. I found this a little odd but the soap performed well.

Skin Food: This was great. I believe I read above to apply is twice. If I'm remembering wrong sorry but it worked. A small splash, gave it a second and then a second small splash. It soaked in very quickly leaving my skin feeling soft. Not a bit of greasiness. I really like this stuff! I kept feeling my face all day.

The scent: I got a little off the puck but the splash is much stronger. I wasn't sure what oud smelled like so I was looking forward to this. At first I didn't like it. I was trying to figure out how to describe the scent. Have you ever done work on an old house? If you take an old 2x4 out of an old building (back when they were really 2x4) and run it through an table saw. Because it wasn't straight it gets caught a little and causes a black burn mark on the old wood. That burnt part is what oud smells like. As time went on the smell grows on you. It sort of becomes familiar and comforting. A few hours into it l found myself wanting to smell it more.
Good Stuff John! Looking forward to more thoughts!

@TheMonkey John
Thank you for the detailed review! It is much appreciated. On the scent. There are so many synthetic versions of Oud out there because of the price of the real thing that I think most people who have not smelled real authentic Oud resin or Agarwood oil are at first taken back by it. I know I was years ago when I first got a whiff. After that it’s seems like it’s either a love or hate thing or when it’s blended with other notes it can make all the difference in the world as to whether or not someone takes to it. I’m glad it started to grow on you. The next version I’m increasing the scent percentage a bit on both soap and splash.
Thanks again! 🙂👍🏼

Update:

I have another pass around ending soon and I can put a 2nd set into this pass around to cut down on the time to get to each person on the list. Perhaps to cut down on the shipping costs to each member shipping to another we could arrange the list by states or east coast west coast and I can have the 2nd set go to one part of the country.. just a suggestion.
let me know your thoughts Gents.
Thank you!

Update:

I have another pass around ending soon and I can put a 2nd set into this pass around to cut down on the time to get to each person on the list. Perhaps to cut down on the shipping costs to each member shipping to another we could arrange the list by states or east coast west coast and I can have the 2nd set go to one part of the country.. just a suggestion.
let me know your thoughts Gents.
Thank you!

Sounds good to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. dkeester - west
4 ED3054 - unsure
5. Majorrich - east
6. Milkcrate - west
7. Techihci -west
8. Uacowboy -west
9.Bill in Oneida - east
10. Jaro106 - east