The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Dragonsbeard Soap and Skin Food Splash Pass Around

I thought about asking that but even after reading the profile I sit here thinking but what's it smell like?
It’s an real Oud forward scent but it is more complex than that with the addition of the other added ingredients. I’ve heard all kinds of descriptions bases on reviews and another pass around. So best to try it yourself and decide if it’s for you as it’s what I’d call a somewhat but not extremely complex scent. I liked what member who tried it in pass around said about it when he said it smells like Dragonsbeard scent and like nothing else I’ve tried. That actually made me feel good as it was a labor of love putting it together especially having to make my own pure Vanilla fragrance oil. Which will be on one of my neck releases. Pure Vanilla and nothing else for real Vanilla lovers like myself.
Great Shaves!

Boy did I butcher the spelling and grammar on the previous post! Doing it from my cell and without my glasses on is a dangerous thing! LOL

@Dragonsbeard
The vanilla and sandalwood got my attention. Honestly even though I like some scents more than others, the skin food thing is what really intrigues me. I work ranging from outside in the weather to inside in a humidity controlled building. So the ups and downs of climate and already dry skin are pretty rough. Post shave feel is a big deal to me and what I'm interested in trying it for.

Wait? What?
Oh...I guess I was first to sign up. Thank you so much @Dragonsbeard !
Yes you were at the top of the pass around list and Dave sent me your address so the products are on their way to you. Oh and I’m sorry I forgot to put the little scoops I was going to put in the box as I was in a hurry to get the package to the post office before it closed.
Hope you enjoy the Shave soap and Aftershave and look forward to your feedback.

Yes you were at the top of the pass around list and Dave sent me your address so the products are on their way to you. Oh and I’m sorry I forgot to put the little scoops I was going to put in the box as I was in a hurry to get the package to the post office before it closed.
Hope you enjoy the Shave soap and Aftershave and look forward to your feedback.
Don't worry...I have some Gelato Spoons! 🤪

@Dragonsbeard
The vanilla and sandalwood got my attention. Honestly even though I like some scents more than others, the skin food thing is what really intrigues me. I work ranging from outside in the weather to inside in a humidity controlled building. So the ups and downs of climate and already dry skin are pretty rough. Post shave feel is a big deal to me and what I'm interested in trying it for.

Hi @ShawnF
I’m very sorry I missed your post and just saw and read it. If your skin gets dry in different climates I’m wondering if you have some toxins that have built up in your skin. When you get the shave soap and Skin Food splash try putting a double layer of the Skin Food splash on. Also if you have any toxins the Camels milk and the EOS Complex in the Shave soap should clear that up with a couple of uses.
Also if you want please send me your shipping address as I’m working on another post shave product for people with dry to very dry skin and I need some people willing to test the products.
Thank you sir and great shaves!

Hi @ShawnF
I’m very sorry I missed your post and just saw and read it. If your skin gets dry in different climates I’m wondering if you have some toxins that have built up in your skin. When you get the shave soap and Skin Food splash try putting a double layer of the Skin Food splash on. Also if you have any toxins the Camels milk and the EOS Complex in the Shave soap should clear that up with a couple of uses.
Also if you want please send me your shipping address as I’m working on another post shave product for people with dry to very dry skin and I need some people willing to test the products.
Thank you sir and great shaves!
I couldn't honestly say yes or no on the toxins, but I can say that I've always had somewhat dry skin, and years of my face getting wind burn, sun burn, welding flash, splashed in grease oil and hydraulic fluids, overheated, and frozen to name a few things, really haven't been good to me. My hands would get so dry at times they would start cracking and splitting.

Add to it that until about 5 or 6 years ago, I really had no skin care routine at all. Contrary to what you would think, most off the shelf things like Aveeno or anything with a lot of glycerine just sit on my skin leaving a greasy feeling instead of getting soaked in. So that kind of makes me an oddball case since despite having dry skin, I don't absorb much from most moisturizers. (At least the commercial ones that probably have a lot of crap in them.)
The one thing I have found very recently that soaks in and seems to help is a Clinique for men product called a "maximum hydrator". It says it's an "activated water-gel concentrate". I really have no idea what it is, but it seems to work ok.

My job now has me inside a humidity controlled building most of the day, but it is mixed with being outside in all types of weather, and/or laying under some machine getting covered in kiln dried sawdust (which really sucks up moisture, hence the humidity controlled building) and grease or oil.

So if you really don't mind a probably extreme case, I'd be more than willing to be a test dummy for your very generous offer. I have it half covered already, I just need to do the test part. 😜

I couldn't honestly say yes or no on the toxins, but I can say that I've always had somewhat dry skin, and years of my face getting wind burn, sun burn, welding flash, splashed in grease oil and hydraulic fluids, overheated, and frozen to name a few things, really haven't been good to me. My hands would get so dry at times they would start cracking and splitting.

Add to it that until about 5 or 6 years ago, I really had no skin care routine at all. Contrary to what you would think, most off the shelf things like Aveeno or anything with a lot of glycerine just sit on my skin leaving a greasy feeling instead of getting soaked in. So that kind of makes me an oddball case since despite having dry skin, I don't absorb much from most moisturizers. (At least the commercial ones that probably have a lot of crap in them.)
The one thing I have found very recently that soaks in and seems to help is a Clinique for men product called a "maximum hydrator". It says it's an "activated water-gel concentrate". I really have no idea what it is, but it seems to work ok.

My job now has me inside a humidity controlled building most of the day, but it is mixed with being outside in all types of weather, and/or laying under some machine getting covered in kiln dried sawdust (which really sucks up moisture, hence the humidity controlled building) and grease or oil.

So if you really don't mind a probably extreme case, I'd be more than willing to be a test dummy for your very generous offer. I have it half covered already, I just need to do the test part. 😜

Oh wow it sounds like you are a perfect candidate for testing a couple of products I’m working on.
The reason a lot of commercial hand and skin creams/moisturizers don’t work and just lay on top of the skin is their using ingredients that are not active and only topical.. usually have huge molecules that would never do anything really beneficial for your skin other than to put a coating on it that the first time you wash your hands it just comes off. You might try this. Order a small molecule natural oil like Argan, Hemp, Abyssinian or Kukui Nut oil and get a pair of 100> cotton gloves. similar to a heavy weight T Shrit material and rub a good amount of the oil into your hands before going to bed and you’ll wake up with them feeling a lot better.
PM me your address and I’ll have some things ready for you to test in a couple of weeks or right after the holidays.
Thanks for the detailed explanation it helps me to better understand the issues your having and how better to address them.

Great shaves!
Frank

I received a strange box yesterday in the mail and permeating from it was a strange warm glow and an intoxicating aroma! I was magically drawn to what was inside! Okay, maybe it didn't go quite like that. I actually opened it up last night but didn't actually jump into it until this morning.

By the way...if you all are wondering what I am talking about...I received the package that Mr. @Dragonsbeard graciously sent us!

First things first. If you are unfamiliar with Frank (if that is really his name 🤪 ) he introduced himself in this post:

Okay, now that is out of the way. So I have not shaved with this...yet. That will be tomorrow. I have a little breakout (all the crappy food I am eating right now) and I want the skin to calm down a little. So tomorrow it is. It will be my pre-victory shave in celebration of Joe Burrow winning the Heisman Trophy tomorrow night!

So upon opening and inspection I have to say that this soap and aftershave are presented very nicely. Is this all that important? Not as much as I make of it. But I have to say I love it when a vendor or artisan takes just that extra step to package things in a very appealing way! Check out some of the pics:

1576234408329.png1576234454452.png1576234506192.png1576234552700.png

So what is the first thing we all do when we get a new aftershave or soap? We smell it. I took a whiff of the soap first, and I have to say that most of what I smelled was the soap base itself. But there was something sweet and masculine in there. I took another whiff and it started to become a little clearer. But I decided to sniff the aftershave and the scent became a bit more pronounced. So...here is my feeble attempt to explain what I am sniffing.

This is a darker scent that is warm and sensual. Not overly masculine...but definitely manly. Normally I would spit out sandalwood here...but I am not really sure that is the case. I am guessing Oud. It also has maybe a touch...but just a touch...of woodiness. And like I said...something sweet...but not too sweet. I would put this in the realm of a warmer scent. I would love to compare this with something...but I am drawing a blank. If I have to guess straight up notes here...here is my attempt: Oud and Vanilla forward with Oak Moss and MAYBE green tobacco somewhere in the middle and a touch of amber to bring them all together. I have no idea if this is right or not...but that's what I am going with. Interested to see what the others come up with and interested to see what exactly the notes here are.

Okay so to finish this portion of the review...the container is not as wide as some other soaps like CBL, Stirling and others, but it is deeper. I believe these are similar size to what Sudsy Soapery uses. Approximate weight of the soap within is a Whopping 6.5 Oz! That's a lot! Aftershave is a similar bottle to what Chatillon Lux usesand is a nice heavy duty glass. It contains 2 Oz of the good juice.

The aftershave does not seem to contain any alcohol so that might be good for many. According to the ingredients there is no tallow in the soap...but there is duck fat as well as a lot of good oils and fats. The soap doesn't seem to be overly soft but is really firm to the touch.

Okay...that's about what I have for the day. I'll get a shave in tomorrow and yes @Dave in KY and @NurseDave I will try my best to get a video of this. More pics below and a shave and review of it tomorrow!

1576235863664.png1576235896381.png1576235933771.png1576235975164.png

Back