The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Dragonsbeard Soap and Skin Food Splash Pass Around

Let me start by saying I'm not a soap aficionado. I've never met a soap that I absolutely hated. I have gotten every soap I've ever tried to lather and shave at least decently. I have excellent water in my area for one, and two, my beard is not hard to shave. My AD lies in razors and aftershaves. I judge soap by post-shave face feel and scent for the most part. So much has already been said about performance, I'm going to keep it short and simple.

Razor - Krect Slant
Blade - Wizamet
Brush - Hive

These are tools I know and love.

I used a small dab with the spoons provided and whipped up a great lather. Nice glide and cushion and I shaved quickly and with confidence. I waited about 10 minutes after the shave to apply the AS just to see how the soap alone affected my skin post-shave. My face feels ultra-soft and I love that. No burning or discomfort of any kind. To be perfectly honest I would prefer a bit more moisturizing properties, but as I see these will be added in the near future. I approve.

The scent is amazing. I can detect every aspect that was put in both the soap and the AS, they match perfectly, and it's a beautiful thing. Complex and balanced. The AS starts off kind of tart, but then the vanilla and amber kick in and it mellows out. It's a "classic" scent with a nice, powder, vanilla filled dry down. Excellent work on the scent.

I will be buying this combo as soon as I see where to get it and as long as it's not hard to acquire. Thanks so much to everyone who participated and Dragonsbeard for this pass-around and I really look forward to seeing more from you.

20200116_084348.jpg

All I can say is WOW! This soap made shaving fun. Let me start by saying that even though the cold I have worsened to the point where I can't smell or taste very much, I am able to enjoy the soap & AS. I found the soap to be very thirsty and thus it took me a little longer to work up a good lather, but the effort was well worth it. While it didn't produce billowing clouds of lather, it did produce creamiest, slickest lather I have ever used. What initially looked like maybe enough for 2 passes made more than enough for 3 passes with enough left for another pass. While the Gillette Black Beauty is admittedly a mild razor, this lather made for an extremely smooth effortless shave, in fact after one pull of the razor I checked to make sure I had a blade in the razor. I especially like that the lather didn't dry out and didn't dry my skin out between passes. The AS Skin Food feels great on my skin, very nice. Tomorrow I will use an open comb with more blade feel to further test the glide and cushion of these excellent products.20200116_150847.jpg

All I can say is WOW! This soap made shaving fun. Let me start by saying that even though the cold I have worsened to the point where I can't smell or taste very much, I am able to enjoy the soap & AS. I found the soap to be very thirsty and thus it took me a little longer to work up a good lather, but the effort was well worth it. While it didn't produce billowing clouds of lather, it did produce creamiest, slickest lather I have ever used. What initially looked like maybe enough for 2 passes made more than enough for 3 passes with enough left for another pass. While the Gillette Black Beauty is admittedly a mild razor, this lather made for an extremely smooth effortless shave, in fact after one pull of the razor I checked to make sure I had a blade in the razor. I especially like that the lather didn't dry out and didn't dry my skin out between passes. The AS Skin Food feels great on my skin, very nice. Tomorrow I will use an open comb with more blade feel to further test the glide and cushion of these excellent products.View attachment 15210

@Bill in Oneida

Thank you so much for the review Bill and I hope you feel better soon. Losing your sense of smell is not a good thing but to not be able to taste your food is the worse!

Best regards

Frank

A Footnote:

I'm taking the word Artisan off of all my products from now on. I realized I don't like the term and I just realized it as I was looking at some of the awesome photos all you gents have been posting up. I think when I first planning and writing the copy for the DB soap and Skin Food splash packaging the the word Artisan was being thrown around a lot so I thought it was kind of what I should do and just went with it but looking at it today I feel like it's like giving myself a some kind of award or a adorning myself with an underserved title or something like that. Can't quite put my feelings about it into words exactly but all I know is I don't like it and it's not going to be on any future ETHOS products.

Sorry guys had to get that off my chest!

Seems to fit but It's your call Frank

ar·ti·san
/ˈärdəzən/
noun

1. a worker in a skilled trade, especially one that involves making things by hand.

Similar:
    craftsman
    craftswoman
    craftsperson
    skilled worker

Thanks Dave for the kind words but as I said I've never been good with having titles where I adorn myself. I guess if others refer to me as an artisan at some point I could accept that much better than me stating it about myself on the label of my products. Hope you all understand.

🙂 (y)

Great Video @Majorrich and thank so much for making it! 🙂 👍

Is this a test that you came up yourself because I've never seen this done before and I'm interested in exactly how you do it.

Frank
I often like to see how a soap works at the bare limits of its water band. Usually on the third pass it will get close. But it’s interesting to me to see how a soap breaks. I was just trying to be thorough with your product because we’ve been posting the sweet spots of the water band.

I often like to see how a soap works at the bare limits of its water band. Usually on the third pass it will get close. But it’s interesting to me to see how a soap breaks. I was just trying to be thorough with your product because we’ve been posting the sweet spots of the water band.

I really like what you did! Especially since I’ve never seen that done before.

So thanks again!

Let me start by saying I'm not a soap aficionado. I've never met a soap that I absolutely hated. I have gotten every soap I've ever tried to lather and shave at least decently. I have excellent water in my area for one, and two, my beard is not hard to shave. My AD lies in razors and aftershaves. I judge soap by post-shave face feel and scent for the most part. So much has already been said about performance, I'm going to keep it short and simple.

Razor - Krect Slant
Blade - Wizamet
Brush - Hive

These are tools I know and love.

I used a small dab with the spoons provided and whipped up a great lather. Nice glide and cushion and I shaved quickly and with confidence. I waited about 10 minutes after the shave to apply the AS just to see how the soap alone affected my skin post-shave. My face feels ultra-soft and I love that. No burning or discomfort of any kind. To be perfectly honest I would prefer a bit more moisturizing properties, but as I see these will be added in the near future. I approve.

The scent is amazing. I can detect every aspect that was put in both the soap and the AS, they match perfectly, and it's a beautiful thing. Complex and balanced. The AS starts off kind of tart, but then the vanilla and amber kick in and it mellows out. It's a "classic" scent with a nice, powder, vanilla filled dry down. Excellent work on the scent.

I will be buying this combo as soon as I see where to get it and as long as it's not hard to acquire. Thanks so much to everyone who participated and Dragonsbeard for this pass-around and I really look forward to seeing more from you.

View attachment 15187

Excellent review and photos. With that batch of Skin Food Splashes I’ve told people if you want to up the moisturizing a bit just throw a 2nd layer of the splash on . It makes a difference but I’m also of the mind set that some folks need even more surface or topical protection as well so I’m working on another post shave product that isn’t a splash. Your right though the next version gets a heavier dose of the EOS Complex and the new version had two added ingredients that go into the Skin Food splash.

Thanks again!

Frank

I'm taking the word Artisan off of all my products from now on. I
Frank if I may jump in:
I see that Artisan applies to you and your product. I can understand you not being comfortable with being called an artisan but your product is certainly Artisan. Since i have been playing around with making soap my understanding has really broadened. It is more than just the science of throwing things together. It really is an art. To create something that not only works but that can evoke a response from the user. To blend scents and oil to not only feed the skin but that brings enjoyment. The passion that you have for your art is evident and that passion is shared through your product.

If you remove the word Artisan from your product that is your choice but it will always be a artisan product produced by an artist of the highest caliber.

Last edited:
Frank if I may jump in:
I see that Artisan applies to you product. I can understand you not being comfortable with being called an artisan but your product is certainly Artisan. Since i have been playing around with making soap my understanding has really broadened. It is more than just the science of throwing things together. It really is an art. To create something that not only works but that can evoke a response from the user. To blend scents and oil to not only feed the skin but that brings enjoyment. The passion that you have for your art is evident and that passion is shared through your product.

If you remove the word Artisan from your product that is your choice but it will always be a artisan product produced by an artist of the highest caliber.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
WHAT HE SAID————————— and I Couldn’t have put it Better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Copy and paste from here down
1. dangerousdon
2. ShawnF
3. NurseDave (maybe?)
4. Smattayu
5. Jaro1069
Frank if I may jump in:
I see that Artisan applies to you and your product. I can understand you not being comfortable with being called an artisan but your product is certainly Artisan. Since i have been playing around with making soap my understanding has really broadened. It is more than just the science of throwing things together. It really is an art. To create something that not only works but that can evoke a response from the user. To blend scents and oil to not only feed the skin but that brings enjoyment. The passion that you have for your art is evident and that passion is shared through your product.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
WHAT HE SAID————————— and I Couldn’t have put it Better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you two gents for the kind remarks. They mean a lot to me! Believe me! 😊👍🏼

The tag line below the logo I’m ok with.

892B3C68-0A76-498B-A75B-D393AC9B658B.jpeg

The label isn’t quite done yet

Last edited:
Hi Dave
Yes Success will be the first Scent going into the Niche Boutique Collection which is a collection that will contain/features fragrance or aroma boutique type cologne scents only. The scent of Success is what I’m calling Pineapple Noir. It’s not a sweet Pineapple or real fruity. To me is a clean scent. It has a new ingredient in it that’s pure dried Pineapple powder in it which has healing properties to it so it should help with irritation and redness. It will also contain a healthy dose of sheep’s milk and it will have my new grass fed beef tallow and Duck fat base. I like the scent so much I’m already thinking of other products to put it in. It’s definitely a more complex cologne type scent that is light and clean In my opinon.

Hi Dave
Yes Success will be the first Scent going into the Niche Boutique Collection which is a collection that will contain/features fragrance or aroma boutique type cologne scents only. The scent of Success is what I’m calling Pineapple Noir. It’s not a sweet Pineapple or real fruity. To me is a clean scent. It has a new ingredient in it that’s pure dried Pineapple powder in it which has healing properties to it so it should help with irritation and redness. It will also contain a healthy dose of sheep’s milk and it will have my new grass fed beef tallow and Duck fat base. I like the scent so much I’m already thinking of other products to put it in. It’s definitely a more complex cologne type scent that is light and clean In my opinon.

Loving the label and description. Intruiged.

Hi Dave
A little along the lines of my beloved iced pineapple, or more aventus like?

Loving the label and description. Intruiged.
Thank
I can’t tell you how many times I went back and forth on do I keep the labels simple and clean or have each label have images on it like the Dragonsbeard does but decided on the simple and clean but now and then I’ll do an image label. The only thing left to be added to all the labels and that is a crest / cost of arms and we are down to 3 choices. A E for ETHOS, A globe 🌏 or a Dragon. All in a small circle.

Back