The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Doc’s mad rabbit hole journey.

Reading things in southern accent doesn't really work for me, since I'm a New Englander. It comes out strange...southern idioms such as "y'all", "fixin to", "o'er Yonder" spoken with a NY/Boston mash-up accent. I've get strange looks all the time...both in the south and back home.

I read everything in a Southern Accent....what's wrong with that?

Great shave TJ!

3/21/18 (SS 15)

Lets start with the oldest son missed school today with a fever but appears to me to be fine other than a bit lethargic. I didn’t shave yesterday due to it being the first night the boss had been home since Saturday and I had a Ruritan meeting. Woke up this morning with a fairly significant back ache hopefully I can put on a patch and let holistic medicine do it’s magic before tomorrow.

Not it sure why exactly but I have been channeling my Gpappas vibes all day and feeling rather nostalgic.

CBL Lavender chill preshave
Smattayu maple tuxedo
MMOC
GEM PTFE on shave 2
L&L bison tallow After the rain
matching splash
Nivea balm

Not sure what frag I have to really give me a cologne type longevity but will figure something out for that in the AM.

Hope all had a great first day of Spring. Have a great Thursday folks thanks for reading. Prayers and God’s blessings to each of you.

Good stuff there TJ. Hope your son if feeling better soon. Both of my kids are on Zarbees tonight. Neutral cough medicine safe for kids, and it actually seems to help quite a bit.

Good bless

3/21/18

i just realized I forgot to record that this was a grail worthy BBS that easily rivals any shave I’ve had hands down. I’m not even sure I’ve been this smooth more than twice from Kate. This razor Shaw henceforth be known as the “Operator”. Smooth quiet and most efficient at killing pesky whiskers.

Gah! Another master of the GEM. I am humbled by your skill.

Great shave with the GEM, TJ! Getting shaves like that really make this hobby fun.

Hope the little'un starts feeling better...

DocHoliday0831 said:
you should try yours again since your technique will have improved. It may surprise you.

I tired it after I was getting awesome shaves with the RX. Was still a disaster so I sent it on to Don who seems to be the GEM whisperer.

NurseDave said:
I tired it after I was getting awesome shaves with the RX. Was still a disaster so I sent it on to Don who seems to be the GEM whisperer.
I used it yesterday. Was still CCS this morning.

Catching up a bit TJ. Some excellent shaves and set ups in there. I need to break out the GEM 1912 sometime soon. It has never failed to provide a BBS, and is one of the most intuitive razors I've ever used. How is the I Coloniali balm? I've considered picking some up a few times, but haven't gotten around to actually pulling the trigger.

Dagwoodz said:
Great shave with the GEM, TJ! Getting shaves like that really make this hobby fun.

Hope the little'un starts feeling better...
Thanks Josh. Shaves like this with SE razors make me unsure if I will ever use anything else.
Quijote said:
I used it yesterday. Was still CCS this morning.

I was SAS up until about 1:00 pm. now I want to shave again too much stubble.
Smattayu said:
Catching up a bit TJ. Some excellent shaves and set ups in there. I need to break out the GEM 1912 sometime soon. It has never failed to provide a BBS, and is one of the most intuitive razors I've ever used. How is the I Coloniali balm? I've considered picking some up a few times, but haven't gotten around to actually pulling the trigger.

I wouldn't have my MM if it wasn't for KJ and that bonus regular bingo during the blackout game we played that Dave called. I have a Featherlight too that I will probably take for a spin again to see how it shaves. The balm from I Coloniali is really nice but I don't know if its worth the difference in $ over my normal Nivea balm.

3/22/18 (SS 15)

After another extremely long day I settled in for my spa time. Tonight’s shave was sponsored 90% of the way by a mail call I received. The only parts not in it were hardware all software/frags were part of it.

the common players tonight are the

CC sandstorm bowl
Smattayu Padauk cashmere
PTFE gem blade (3)

not used in a while player

Gem featherlight

new players for the team

WSP Gaelic Tweed
Black Ship Phillips’s Fougere splash
Catie’s Bubbles “LaTerre Verte” cologne

First look a a WSP soap and the tin is identical to the Asylum soaps I have. Also the texture and scent strength are extremely similar to the Asylum soaps. The splash seems a bit mild in the jar and the cologne seems like it is similar to the WWSC colognes as far as strength of scent. Will be more in depth tomorrow as far as the staying power and such.

While not as smooth as the shaves with the Operator this would easily be a super SE for my travel kit. Now I just have to find some blades for the GEMs that are PTFE. A couple of pharmacies locally carry blades but I’m not sure they are coated.

This soap is almost identical to the Asylum soaps in performance as well, the only difference I see is the ingredients of the Asylum contains tallow this Gaelic tweed WSP does not list tallow.

Did i I say yet I really really really like this Padauk cashmere brush Eric made for me.

The aftershave from Black Ship has a definitely fresh new clean Fougere scent to me and the Catie’s bubbles frag is a little older and darker Fougere. For me the two are complimentary of each other not clashing or blending.

Thanks for following the mental rambling of a doctor in feeble health. Prayers and God’s blessings to each of you my friends have a Fantastic Friday.

Happy Friday TJ! Glad to see the flow of new supplies hasn’t stopped.

WSP makes two formulas. A vegan and a tallow based. That one is the vegan. WSP also makes Asylum products fyi. I personally find the tallow version a tad more slick and better post shave.

Back