The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Doc’s mad rabbit hole journey.

Scouting gets under your skin and as your kids progress through it, it's like doing it all over again. Then when they age out, you get to share the ride with a bunch of new guys enjoying the ride you are experiencing now. 40 years now I've been playing at it.

Sorry for being late to the party TJ!

Great reads, shaves, and pictures.

Sounds like you and your wife are doing a great job raising your son!

3/18/18

the end of the world as I know it for the next few days.

SWMBO has left to go to a reading teacher conference until late Tuesday so it is me and the two boys by ourselves for the first extended period of time in 7 years. It’s gonna be challenging but fun I believe.

tonight after the most aggravating car battery repair on the planet I need a BBS shave and some wonderful smelling spa time so I called in a trusted group of players to provide that need.

Kate with a pro super
Smattayu Padauk cashmere
the sandstorm bowl
Easy Street by Chiseled Face
followed by the bath and body scent to match Easy Street.

BBS was achieved easily and I am starting to think that I wish I had bought more feather pros and not these supers. The super seems just a tad too aggressive for my tastes.

Thanks for reading my 2.0 non b&b version of this madness ?. Prayers and God’s blessings to each of you folks.

Good stuff TJ. My wife went to a teachers conference when my son was 6 months old. That was 2 nights and VERY rough. Order pizza one night and KFC the next

Lol, my mom took the boys to a church supper while I lost my religion with the car battery. Tomorrow they will probably eat at my in-laws house or we may have a sonic drive through kinda night.

Great shave TJ!

Just be glad all you have to do is change the battery. On some newer cars, BMW's and Mini Coopers are two that I know of, made in the last few years you have to take the car back to the dealer for them to register or program the car to your new battery. Failure to do so can result in overcharging of your new battery or even electrical malfunction. I've heard some dealerships charge as much as $200 to do this.

clyde72 said:
Great shave TJ!

Just be glad all you have to do is change the battery. On some newer cars, BMW's and Mini Coopers are two that I know of, made in the last few years you have to take the car back to the dealer for them to register or program the car to your new battery. Failure to do so can result in overcharging of your new battery or even electrical malfunction. I've heard some dealerships charge as much as $200 to do this.

lol I would pay that for someone else to do my car battery next time I think. I also tend to only buy cars for convenience of service. We only have dodge/ram/fiat dealer and a ford dealer in the town I live in. 40 minutes away are all the major imports like Toyota, Honda, Kia, Audi, VW, Hyundai, Nissan, plus all US cars and then there is a Chevrolet dealer like 20 minutes away
ths dodge place in town is literally 300-400 yards from my office I drop the car off for service and can walk to work then walk back over and pick it up afterwards.

I learned basic auto repair in high school and swear after moving out of my parents’ house and my dad’s old Datsun, I’ve never been able to put it to use.

It seems like everything had a special tool or is so computerized that you have to take it somewhere to get it worked on. Us shade tree mechanics have become irrelevant on today's cars.

That's crazy that you had to remove the tire to get to the battery...all in the name of space management.

NurseDave said:
I learned basic auto repair in high school and swear after moving out of my parents’ house and my dad’s old Datsun, I’ve never been able to put it to use.
i use mine with regular occurrence.
Quijote said:
It seems like everything had a special tool or is so computerized that you have to take it somewhere to get it worked on. Us shade tree mechanics have become irrelevant on today's cars.
very true Don, much more than plugs and coil packs or brakes and I’m taking it to the shop.
Dagwoodz said:
That's crazy that you had to remove the tire to get to the battery...all in the name of space management.
it was quite royally a pain in the backside for sure

3/19/18 (SS 15)

wow night #2 is in the books for SWMBO being gone. Kids finally asleep and my spa time could commence.

Took a wild hair thought today and decided to give the MMOC another go with a fresh PTFE blade, keeping Kate on reserve with a fresh feather pro just in case.

SV Tundra Artica got the soap call as well as the aftershave and I Coloniali balm. CBL Lavender Chill is the preshave and making the sudsy stuff is the Semogue Boar Brush.

The results I must say rivaled every bit of smoothness I get from a shave with Kate. Not sure why I all of a sudden can get this smooth h from a GEM though. I must have improved in technique or finally got a decent blade. It also could be that the SV soap just makes any razor look stellar.

thanks for letting me rant. Have a wonderful Tuesday folks and prayers and God’s blessings to each of you my friends.

and I forgot to mention but I bought a matched pair of Tabac today, Plague Dr, XXX cologne, a Fougere EDT from caties bubbles, a Fougere soap or two, and a couple other things I don’t remember exactly just to get the free shipping. Now I just have to figure out which one of you lucky gents gets the pleasure of being the generous gentleman that pif’ed it all to me lol

Nice read and shave. And I will always take the fall as long as your lovely bride doesn't call mine lol.

DocHoliday0831 said:
Now I just have to figure out which one of you lucky gents gets the pleasure of being the generous gentleman that pif’ed it all to me lol

LOL!!! I had to read that four times before it finally hit and then I laughed out loud!

Great job with the GEM. I have noticed that most of the time, those blades take about 3 shaves to settle in. Getting that result with the first shave is very impressive.

Back