The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Corona Virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having gone through the great "Y2 K" scare and all the the preparations (and expense) that was involved in THAT non-event, I can say what I am seeing feels a lot like that.
Y2K had a hell of a lot or work and expense put into it to MAKE it a non-event.

In a pandemic, if a shutdown works and few die, then people ask if the shutdown was worth it. Can't win that way.
Trouble is, shutdown worked in some places, but not others. NY has done wonders with virus rates. The country as a whole has done badly over the same period. And it's about to get much worse. It's in part due to politics (how on earth did wearing a mask become political??) and in part due to that cultural memory of 200+ years of frontiersmen, don't tread on me attitude.

1592438336439.png

I think there is going to be a lot of brake-pumping before this is all over.
Brake pumping isn't how to stop using anti-lock brakes. You must be old!
tenor.gif

Y2K had a hell of a lot or work and expense put into it to MAKE it a non-event.

In a pandemic, if a shutdown works and few die, then people ask if the shutdown was worth it. Can't win that way.
Trouble is, shutdown worked in some places, but not others. NY has done wonders with virus rates. The country as a whole has done badly over the same period. And it's about to get much worse. It's in part due to politics (how on earth did wearing a mask become political??) and in part due to that cultural memory of 200+ years of frontiersmen, don't tread on me attitude.

View attachment 27391
First. Y2K was ALWAYS a non-event. Computers did not cease to work, traffic lights did not fail, electrical grids did not fail and bank computers didn’t stop counting days...because they never were going to fail, there programming wasn’t faulty and the “00” didn’t mess up 99.99999999% of technology. I was personally tasked with writing a parallel computer program capable of operating my hospital laboratory system that was entirely self contained and had been programmed to ‘think’ it was 1998 turning 1999 ...just in case our already ancient system really did fail to operate at the turn of the century as feared. The ‘hell of a lot of work’ needed to solve the much feared Y2K catastrophe amounted to nothing more than cleaning up sloppy programming that should never have been allowed to accumulate...we even had a couple movies about the year 2000, it shouldn’t have been a surprise.

As far as the shutdown goes...went? is going? The evolving consensus is that it did little to change the pace or outcome and was largely the wrong move as it was applied at the time. This is not to say it isn’t a good idea or the right idea, just that the blanket application as it was applied beginning in March did not achieve what it was hoped it would. (Enter through thundering mob of pitchfork wielding citizens slow walking up my driveway). Yeah, the mask thing has become a form of political rebellion(or is it expression?) but remember when they specifically told us NOT to wear masks ...They only told us not to so there would be enough for the medical professionals. At one time my county issued a mandate requiring masks whenever you left your home, including while driving alone in your own vehicle. In a way, masks became a symbol of ‘the big lie’ or the ‘manipulation’. But...let’s leave the political angle out of this/my rant because it’s not necessary for my big picture issue. My problem is less political and more about how quickly and willingly citizens/individuals have gone ferrel . Seriously, it’s like nobody even thinks about anyone else or the greater good let alone ‘patriotism’. I guess that’s political but it’s not partisan so I’ll allow it (my rant my rules...I’m ferrel too.

now, about those curves. The U.S has a population of something like 300million versus maybe 30-60 million the others AND our geography is vastly different (larger, more spread out). Our numbers are going to be higher, which also means the area under the curve is going the curve is going to be proportionally larger. You’ll notice the shape of those other curves (you gotta put Brazil in there, that’s a tragic story too) is sharper than ours. If ours were as sharp, the relative shock would be more like what occurred in NY but the time to equilibrium would be sooner. If there’s a silver lining for NY, Italy, Spain and possibly France (although they have more porous borders) is that the early pain they‘ve endured my provide a buffer against future resurgence. My point is, the numbers aren’t the story, there’s more to it. ...again, why I said early in my rant I’m NOT reacting to the spikes, I am not being wagged around by the tail.

What I AM bothered by (since the graphic has been provided) is, look at the deaths in Italy...Spain...The US (I don’t know enough about France to comment). So, so many of those that died did so ALONE, their families NOT by their side. They entered the hospital sick with hope, hugged and waved good by to their loved one(s) ...and that was it. Making that horror worse (as if it could get worse) so many of them died anonymously or without notice to the family and/or were buried without the family present to protect them from infection. These are cultures that revere family and loved ones, yet the best the world could come up with was to place 1/3 of humanity on lock-down while thousands died alone and doctors and nurses lay crumpled in hallways in tears because they could do nothing to more to help.

I am telling you, the biggest tragedy that has come of this so far and if we do nothing to change it, WILL continue to come of the COVID19 crisis is the separate isolation of those entering the medical System for treatment. COVID will infect an increasing number of people and an increasing number will die, that is tragic and the closer to those events you are the more tragic they will be for YOU. But so, so SO many people access the health care system each day for various reasons, reasons that seem mundane but ones that have major impacts in the long run. If people fear they will be isolated and alone if/when they choose/need to access the hospitals or doctors they won’t go. If people can’t or won’t access their doctors or hospitals because of overbearing system imposed obstacles (as simple as “patients only” & “no visitors/spouses” policies) We can expect a lot more health problems down the road, including mental health issues.

I agree Dave. I really do not understand all the anger towards the masks. We went to mass for the first time on Sunday since this all started. If my 6 year old and 3 year old can keep their mask on then anyone can. And I don't buy the whole asthma claim either. My son has asthma we carry a rescue inhaler and an epipen. When he has had to wear the mask he has had ZERO issues.
I have asthma, I rather like to wear the mask, it's almost like breathing vaporized air. Though I can feel that I have to work more to breathe due to the air resistance of the mask.

Well, I'm also the only person I ever see using a mask, which makes me feel very weird, but at this point it's almost on principle. The government here has taken the stance that masks don't help. Yet, researchers are saying they do. People here tend to trust the government, so no one wears them. Finland in general is not particularly safety conscious. I used to work in a gymnastics gym and the things I saw there would have caused numerous lawsuits, here meh.

Italy, population 60million. A sixth of US.
A tenth of US cases and graph shows minimal new cases, while US cases remain unabated.
The drop in cases in NY really masks the current rise in smaller states.
It's not just the area under the graph, it's the shape of it.

Swore I wasn't going to click on it but I did and it was cool info. Now I'm wondering what kind of particle I am and how the video captured me...

Italy, population 60million. A sixth of US.
A tenth of US cases and graph shows minimal new cases, while US cases remain unabated.
The drop in cases in NY really masks the current rise in smaller states.
It's not just the area under the graph, it's the shape of it.
The United States is a LARGE geographical location, not just a name on a chart. Italy is 116k square miles in size with 60 million residence, the United States is 3.8 million square miles in size with 328 million residence. Charts that compare the two as strict equals are not useful. The United States is... a cluster of states, each very much like Italy, Spain, France etc, diverse in population size and density relative to geographic size. Our collective curve will always look different than regional curves. Arguing over curve shape and trajectory is pointless because we aren’t all experiencing the same event at the same time. The truth is Italy had a head start on the US, their experiences taught us (or should/could have) things that allowed us to avoid the pain they experienced. Another truth we will admit shortly is some areas/regions of the US have yet to fully experience “the first wave”

I live in the Netherlands and we are going back normal. Restaurant and Cafés already opened up again. 1 July gyms and welness resorts are allowed to open up again.
We never had a complete lock down, but an intelligent lockdown for 2 months.
With other countries in Europe the government also bought an vaccine from AstraZeneca. The antibody was found here in the University Medical Center Utrecht and the vaccine will be ready within 6 months is the expectation.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

I live in the Netherlands and we are going back normal. Restaurant and Cafés already opened up again. 1 July gyms and welness resorts are allowed to open up again.
We never had a complete lock down, but an intelligent lockdown for 2 months.
With other countries in Europe the government also bought an vaccine from AstraZeneca. The antibody was found here in the University Medical Center Utrecht and the vaccine will be ready within 6 months is the expectation.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk
No guarantee it will be successful as they admit and are planning for....................I hope it is.

Quote from the article:

"Unfortunately, it is still very uncertain whether the vaccine will ultimately go into production. There is a chance of failure until the very last stage of development. The alliance is therefore exploring several promising initiatives, and is holding discussions with other pharmaceutical companies as well, with the aim of investing in several initiatives. "

Looks like Tucson is going to require masks in public starting Saturday and possibly a county wide order soon after that.

Looks like Tucson is going to require masks in public starting Saturday and possibly a county wide order soon after that.
Sad that there are individuals out there that need an order to do the kind thing for their fellowman.............Cue the news reels with the confrontations of people ignoring the order................

Last edited by a moderator:
Sad that there are selfish idiots out there that need an order to do the kind thing for their fellowman.............Cue the news reels with the confrontations of people ignoring the order................
yeah. it's gonna be interesting next week for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back