The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Corona Virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly fellas, I stopped watching all news 3 weeks ago and it's been a great thing for me. No matter which side you fall out on, the news gives you what they want you to focus on. It seemed to me the news media folks wanted me to be scared and wanted me fret over every issue. Notice how from the beginning the media kept pushing and asking for mandatory masks? I caught that and wondered why anyone would be rooting for that, I mean nobody wants to wear them so why the interest in pushing for them? I think it just advanced a narrative of fear. Every story of empty shelves, runs on ammunition and gun purchases, or meat shortages pushed people to get afraid and run to the store creating more hype and more news.

Some may say "Yeah, be ignorant Blade-Meister." Maybe they'd have a point, but I'm a happier guy and I deal with crisis' as the issues land on my doorstep instead of worrying about something happening 4 states away or a continent away. I'm much happier to go into my shop and restore and old axe, use old tools to make a handle for it, and come up for dinner. I used to watch the evening news, but instead I'm building a bench with my daughters. Instead of fretting about watching this and getting angry about seeing some story on the news, I'm down sitting with my daughters guiding their hands with a draw knife on a bench leg they are making. It's a better use of my time and me and my family are much happier. I think I just got the point where my crap filter was full and I needed a new filter and to get out of the dirty water. It's not for everyone, but I feel like I have a more normal life again so I thought I'd just share. I jumped off the moving train of media sensationalism, rolled a bit, and found my own two feet again realizing I can now walk wherever I want to and I don't have to go wherever the direction the train is speeding off to.

Honestly fellas, I stopped watching all news 3 weeks ago and it's been a great thing for me. No matter which side you fall out on, the news gives you what they want you to focus on. It seemed to me the news media folks wanted me to be scared and wanted me fret over every issue. Notice how from the beginning the media kept pushing and asking for mandatory masks? I caught that and wondered why anyone would be rooting for that, I mean nobody wants to wear them so why the interest in pushing for them? I think it just advanced a narrative of fear. Every story of empty shelves, runs on ammunition and gun purchases, or meat shortages pushed people to get afraid and run to the store creating more hype and more news.

Some may say "Yeah, be ignorant Blade-Meister." Maybe they'd have a point, but I'm a happier guy and I deal with crisis' as the issues land on my doorstep instead of worrying about something happening 4 states away or a continent away. I'm much happier to go into my shop and restore and old axe, use old tools to make a handle for it, and come up for dinner. I used to watch the evening news, but instead I'm building a bench with my daughters. Instead of fretting about watching this and getting angry about seeing some story on the news, I'm down sitting with my daughters guiding their hands with a draw knife on a bench leg they are making. It's a better use of my time and me and my family are much happier. I think I just got the point where my crap filter was full and I needed a new filter and to get out of the dirty water. It's not for everyone, but I feel like I have a more normal life again so I thought I'd just share. I jumped off the moving train of media sensationalism, rolled a bit, and found my own two feet again realizing I can now walk wherever I want to and I don't have to go wherever the direction the train is speeding off to.
Definitely can't argue with this post. I go through stages where I can't stand listening to the news anymore (because frankly it isn't really news). Then I'll get back to watching some. I think you have the right approach...right now!

I'm not one to blame my point of view on this stuff on "the news." I haven't owned a television in ages.

I'm not one to blame my point of view on this stuff on "the news." I haven't owned a television in ages.

Dang Larry, good for you. You are better for not having a TV. Someday I'll get there in retirement I think. Don't watch it much now anyways.

Our state decided to send a mask via mail to every Utahn. Our 4 arrived yesterday. The kid's sizes are litereally the exact same size as adults. So all we did was add 4 more masks.

The hard thing is getting good kids masks.

In most of the counties yesterday restaurants were able to open with limited seating. Retail stores can open, once again , with limited occupancy.

Our state decided to send a mask via mail to every Utahn. Our 4 arrived yesterday. The kid's sizes are litereally the exact same size as adults. So all we did was add 4 more masks.

The hard thing is getting good kids masks.
Seeing kids in these frigging masks makes me want to cry. I'm sorry for them. I have no doubt you and your family are putting the best spin possible on this and are helping them understand what this all means, but it just breaks my heart. sorry.

Seeing kids in these frigging masks makes me want to cry. I'm sorry for them. I have no doubt you and your family are putting the best spin possible on this and are helping them understand what this all means, but it just breaks my heart. sorry.
Trust me I hate it! My kids are troopers though.

Yeah it is sad we have to do this with the mask but if it keeps us all safe its a necessary evil... There are a lot of patterns online for both adult and kid mask.. I have started making another type mask that I'm gonna see how they feel when we go out of the house next comfort wise. I have made about 5 of the new style ones for various family members so far and they only took about 5 minutes to sew on the sewing machine. I also found some my little pony for my 5 year old daughter and paw patrol material for her twin brother.. My 12 year old I found stuff like camo and dinosaur and harry potter materials so while its a pain there are a lot of materials out there that the kids will like and won't have as much of a problem wearing.

That's awesome. Except for that I don't sew. Or own a sewing machine..
There are plenty of patterns that only require hand stitching and some of those only require very few stitches so even someone who has never sewn before can make them. I'm sure you could do it. (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back