The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Corona Virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Precisely.
I made a joke, but I truly recognize the tragedy and horror here. But soon I will not be able to take care of my 80 yo mom, who is staying here to ride this mess out. In the past, assisted living or something more proactive was an option. Not any more. My brother and sister need to make some mods for the next goat rodeo.

I made a joke, but I truly recognize the tragedy and horror here. But soon I will not be able to take care of my 80 yo mom, who is staying here to ride this mess out. In the past, assisted living or something more proactive was an option. Not any more. My brother and sister need to make some mods for the next goat rodeo.

Home aide service is something to look into. Best Wishes and I know how difficult it can be.

Home aide services sometimes only last so long, then you either need 24/7 care or at least an aide who is nurse qualified.

We did that with my in laws for 2 years before them into independent living, then assisted living, and now with us since the lock down began (halvesies with bro in law).
No long term solution in sight yet.

On the one hand, setting an example to my kids of how to look after us oldies. On the other hand, look into my father in law's eyes and think August West solution is for me.

Institutional environments in general are conducive to disease spread. Think college dorms or daycares. I recall being administered ‘shots’ in the military that were never recorded in my shot record and left my arm partially paralyzed for a day.
Shots and or Inhilation items so you could recognize them nothing like a whiff of Mustard, Chlorine, or Phogene in the morning I still see purple elephants some time LOL
I agree Larry, As bad as this sounds, after my mom Got real bad and had to be in a home, we took care of her for 9 yrs before her Sundowners got so bad she kept leaving, it was bad enough, so I am glad she passed when she did, and not have to endure this These homes have been hit really hard here on of them had 62 cases in one day with 14 deaths and sadly the families could not even be there

I just got an email from my insurance company stating that antibody testing is now covered 100% if ordered by a medical professional.
Based on symptoms I had over New Years my doc offered to order antibody testing but we decided the accuracy of what was available now wasn’t something we could hang out hat on so I haven’t done it yet. Even before my visit last week, Quest diagnostics was offering self referral testing. I have no idea what the cost is. The laws actually allow a number of self referred lab tests, including HIV. That blows me away because I remember back in the 90’s (or even a couple years ago) when the difficulty in getting tested for HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases required so many authorization, disclosures and assurances of anonymity that the thought you could go get one on demand today as easy as getting your temperature checked is amazing to me. I’m pleased to see the COVID testing isn’t difficult to get (other than not being available or accurate yet).

One of the hardest parts is how the go to solution has been to lock out the visiting family members if those who are living in the nursing homes And veterans homes. Again, at least out here, the family are the ones who did a lot of regular daily ‘care’ and observation. Without the regular visits from family those in the homes are left to suffer at the hands of the staff who never did take care of them to the level they should have been. There are obvious outliers and exceptions but if your loved one isn’t lucky enough to be cared for by one ...

Fortunately the nurses and staff of our regions veterans home have been able to keep the guys safe...bUt our governor is planning to balance the budget by closing the only Veterans home In our region. A move that will make 200 vets homeless, many have lived there since the home opened. The idea that any of these guys might get pushed to a cheesy nursing home and gets sick or die makes me sick.

I don’t mean this to sound or be political but it may sound that way. It just seems odd to me that every where you turn we are learning an unceasing number of deaths attributed to COVID are from nursing home type settings And many of the outbreaks originate or are closely related to nursing home locations. If we can see such a clear vulnerability, one that feeds community spread and adds significantly to our healthcare burden (and death toll), why are our leaders and our health department spokes people pounding the tables trying to solve those problems? Do they want the high count so the gen-pop is more easily controlled? Are they willing to sacrifice the weak for the greater good? Are they blind to the problem because THEY don’t have or thing of loved ones? ...am I just stupid?

One of the hardest parts is how the go to solution has been to lock out the visiting family members if those who are living in the nursing homes And veterans homes. Again, at least out here, the family are the ones who did a lot of regular daily ‘care’ and observation. Without the regular visits from family those in the homes are left to suffer at the hands of the staff who never did take care of them to the level they should have been. There are obvious outliers and exceptions but if your loved one isn’t lucky enough to be cared for by one ...

Fortunately the nurses and staff of our regions veterans home have been able to keep the guys safe...bUt our governor is planning to balance the budget by closing the only Veterans home In our region. A move that will make 200 vets homeless, many have lived there since the home opened. The idea that any of these guys might get pushed to a cheesy nursing home and gets sick or die makes me sick.

I don’t mean this to sound or be political but it may sound that way. It just seems odd to me that every where you turn we are learning an unceasing number of deaths attributed to COVID are from nursing home type settings And many of the outbreaks originate or are closely related to nursing home locations. If we can see such a clear vulnerability, one that feeds community spread and adds significantly to our healthcare burden (and death toll), why are our leaders and our health department spokes people pounding the tables trying to solve those problems? Do they want the high count so the gen-pop is more easily controlled? Are they willing to sacrifice the weak for the greater good? Are they blind to the problem because THEY don’t have or thing of loved ones? ...am I just stupid?
If it indeed is a "VA" home they are guaranteed to be transferred to another facility within the VA system. Problem with that is they must go where there is an occupancy. This was the issue we had with my mom. When we were looking for places she was given preference since she was a Colonel, however the only place avail was in Delaware. NOPE we paid for it ourselves

We see in SE PA how protecting the high risk folks go. 85% of deaths in my county were in nursing homes. They've all been under lockdown since early-mid March. The problem is that workers still need to get in and out.

I think we’re in the same county and my town, with 8 long term care facilities has the most infections and deaths of all.

But...there are vaccines for all sorts of Viral Infections such as:

Polio
Measles
Hepatitis A
Hepatitis B
Rubella
Mumps
Influenza
Chickenpox
Shingles
Rabies
Japanese encephalitis

I am sure there are others too. Vaccines for things like Polio, measles, influenza were game changers at one time. There are some viruses that are resistant to us making vaccines...but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

It can be done, but some just aren’t as good as others. Flu for example. The virus changes so much that we have to get the shot every year. Others are rock solid. We have to hope that Covid is pretty stable and we get it right. Frankly, if we get a vaccine that works ok and reduces the severity of disease, that would be a huge upgrade.

It can be done, but some just aren’t as good as others. Flu for example. The virus changes so much that we have to get the shot every year. Others are rock solid. We have to hope that Covid is pretty stable and we get it right. Frankly, if we get a vaccine that works ok and reduces the severity of disease, that would be a huge upgrade.

I find it a bit disheartening that conventional medical wisdom has generally dismissed any serious attempts in developing a corona or rhino virus vaccine. I feel it has always been possible albeit imperfect due to the unpredictability and mutability of said classes of virus. Cure the common cold damn it all!!!

I order you to get the test! Does that help?
Aww! He cares! 🤪 Seriously though...I have an appointment with my PCP the beginning of June. It's for my regular twice a year check up stuff. I'm going to ask for the serology test knowing that it isn't the end all be all. I don't have any reason to believe I was infected. But looking over the symptoms...I can honestly say I have had more than a couple of them over the past few months...just not all at the same time. Then there was earlier this year. I did test positive for Influenza A. Ran a nice 104 degree fever for a relatively short time. I am sure I had Type A flu. But my wife a couple days later was diagnosed by a doctor with the flu but did not test positive for it. That could be for a ton of reasons. But she ended up in the hospital for a few days and it was a close call whether or not she was going to be put on a ventilator. She tested positive for Para-influenza...but it makes me think. Anyway...when I go see the doc...I'll likely ask for the serology test.

Based on symptoms I had over New Years my doc offered to order antibody testing but we decided the accuracy of what was available now wasn’t something we could hang out hat on so I haven’t done it yet. Even before my visit last week, Quest diagnostics was offering self referral testing. I have no idea what the cost is. The laws actually allow a number of self referred lab tests, including HIV. That blows me away because I remember back in the 90’s (or even a couple years ago) when the difficulty in getting tested for HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases required so many authorization, disclosures and assurances of anonymity that the thought you could go get one on demand today as easy as getting your temperature checked is amazing to me. I’m pleased to see the COVID testing isn’t difficult to get (other than not being available or accurate yet).
I do understand some of the accuracy is a little sketchy. The serology test they are administering around her is the Mayo Clinic version. So hopefully theirs is a little more accurate. Unfortunately, I don't think we will ever have a test that is 100% accurate...especially in relation to this disease...but maybe we can get close.

If it indeed is a "VA" home they are guaranteed to be transferred to another facility within the VA system. Problem with that is they must go where there is an occupancy. This was the issue we had with my mom. When we were looking for places she was given preference since she was a Colonel, however the only place avail was in Delaware. NOPE we paid for it ourselves
Is that even for State run VA facilities? In Louisiana we have several state run facilities...I actually visited one near where your BIL lives Dave. It really exceeded all my expectations really. They treat our guys better than I imagined. But during this crisis...it seems that at least two of the state run VA homes were hit hard by COVID 19. In one of the BA homes closest to New Orleans...had about 80 confirmed cases. The home has about 150 beds and I think 145 were living in the home. But here is the crazy thing. Since March...there have been 50 deaths in that home. But the reports are only attributing the coronavirus as a cause for 22 of those deaths. Anyway...those are crazy numbers and makes me extremely sad.

Definitely understand this point. But over the past week I have heard several people say something to the effect that "there has never been a vaccine created for a virus." I understand the challenges for this particular one...but that doesn't mean they will fail. I actually think "they" will have a vaccine ready in an incredibly short time. How short that is to be seen. But if a vaccine is ready BEFORE the 2021 flu season...I think that is a win. If it can be done sooner...even better news. I do think the first iteration probably will only be moderately effective. But I believe in about three to four years a pretty effective vaccine will be created and then can be adjusted each year...much like the flu vaccine. Just my thoughts.

Regarding the potential vaccines, most stories I’ve read have been about labs working on vaccines using methods that, once a successful biological vaccine is achieved, is able to be quickly duplicated and produce relative to the typical egg based method used for our regular flu vaccines. This is why they are able to give those seemingly impossible projections of 18 months, 1yr or less. Several supposedly promising versions had been achieved weeks ago and begun some form of accelerated trials. The plan among the larger producers is to try to narrow the most likely to work, least likely to be harmful and begin producing mass quantities WELL in advance of any confirmation of effectiveness. This will cost lots of money but if the vaccine(s) version(s) proves effect there will be a stockpile ready to go. Of course they could all prove ineffective or harmful and the stockpile is worthless...So we sell them all for pennies to the Chinese right?

There is a lab here in California that announce earlier this month they had developed a COVID antibody shield . They partnered with Mount Sinai to do some studies and On Thursday or Friday said their special antibody cocktail was 100% effective in preventing infections. They are slated to begin phase 1 trials next quarter and go into production by year end. It’s not a vaccine but if it works like they say it is essentially a prophylactic that can protect high risk or high exposure people for up to 2 months per dose. Cool tech.

There is a lab here in California that announce earlier this month they had developed a COVID antibody shield . They partnered with Mount Sinai to do some studies and On Thursday or Friday said their special antibody cocktail was 100% effective in preventing infections. They are slated to begin phase 1 trials next quarter and go into production by year end. It’s not a vaccine but if it works like they say it is essentially a prophylactic that can protect high risk or high exposure people for up to 2 months per dose. Cool tech.

I read that story this morning. Very hopeful

It's not "there has never been a vaccine for a virus. It's" there has never been a vaccine for a RNA coronavirus ". Big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back