The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Corona Virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
During a leadership town hall yesterday they pointed out there are viruses we still don’t have a vaccine for after many years like HIV. So you know, that’s nice to think about.

At this point I need to ask...other than actual diagnosis and to see who needs to be treated...what good is a regular test doing? Does it matter how many people test positive in a single moment any more? What I would think would be more useful is doing wide spread antibody tests to see how many people were actually infected and to gather evidence and information as to the severity and symptoms of the virus. The positive negative testing was important in the early stages of this...but as of now...yeah we already know it's bad.

Just curious as to thoughts on this from the Cadre.
I agree about the antibody testing Don. I guess the other is to know they meet guidelines to open at stages as was suggested and to know if there are spikes that can be caught and squelched.

At this point I need to ask...other than actual diagnosis and to see who needs to be treated...what good is a regular test doing? Does it matter how many people test positive in a single moment any more? What I would think would be more useful is doing wide spread antibody tests to see how many people were actually infected and to gather evidence and information as to the severity and symptoms of the virus. The positive negative testing was important in the early stages of this...but as of now...yeah we already know it's bad.

Just curious as to thoughts on this from the Cadre.
at this point i feel it is needed for sure with people that are being hospitalized and have symptoms so they can be treated correctly and the staff treating them knows to keep themselves safer. beyond that i would agree that antibody testing seems like the way things should be heading right now.

I had one done yesterday through a lab that my employer set up stuff for the whole company to be tested. Negative for the antibodies for me. I actually haven't heard of any of the employees from our Co-op having had it at this point.

Regular testing is important for contact tracing and to identify hotspots. For the mass public it's also a great fear tool.

I still believe positive rate is the most important factor aside from contact tracing results. Which isn't displayed much. But our epidimiologist stated yesterday that for ever person confirmed with Corona they infect 1.1 other people. Which is actually pretty good. She said ideally that would be less than 1 and closer to zero. It's my understanding that other places the # is above 2 which is pretty scary.

During a leadership town hall yesterday they pointed out there are viruses we still don’t have a vaccine for after many years like HIV. So you know, that’s nice to think about.
But...there are vaccines for all sorts of Viral Infections such as:

Polio
Measles
Hepatitis A
Hepatitis B
Rubella
Mumps
Influenza
Chickenpox
Shingles
Rabies
Japanese encephalitis

I am sure there are others too. Vaccines for things like Polio, measles, influenza were game changers at one time. There are some viruses that are resistant to us making vaccines...but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

I still believe positive rate is the most important factor aside from contact tracing results.
But this is only a snapshot at that moment. Not to mention it heavily relies on how many tests are being done. The last two weeks in Louisiana we have been averaging about 200-300 positive cases a day statewide. On Wed 800 positive cases were reported. On Thursday...600 positive cases. Also, that person who tests negative can leave the testing facility and five minutes later become infected. That person will likely not get tested again unless they become sick. So the positive rate at this stage in the game is BS.

Contact tracing is extremely important...in the very early stages of an epidemic. What are we tracing for now? Especially as businesses open up and people venture out. Are you telling me that you are going to close down a Walmart because an infected person shopped there? And what about all those people that have no symptoms. We are not trying to find patient zero anymore.

Continue testing for the positives so you can properly diagnose someone...but at this point, positives only add to a total. To really get a true number of pockets, or total infected population...antibody testing is really the only way. Everything else is just spinning wheels and spending more money that the government doesn't really have and that the tax payers will eventually have to fund. Let's start being more efficient and effective and get real information.

For the mass public it's also a great fear tool.
This seems to be the real reason.

But our epidimiologist stated yesterday that for ever person confirmed with Corona they infect 1.1 other people. Which is actually pretty good. She said ideally that would be less than 1 and closer to zero. It's my understanding that other places the # is above 2 which is pretty scary.
This kind of proves my above point. I am sure this rate of infection in Utah is not the norm across the US and here in Louisiana it wouldn't surprise me if that rate is much higher.

I agree on the antibody testing.....I want one for myself.

I'm not so fixated on the running total of positives but focusing on the hospitalization numbers. We have 35 in the hospital and 8 on respirators state wide. I would like to see things open up here while protecting the high risk folks. While I don't want anyone to get sick, most who get sick are asystematic or non life threatening.

We missed the contact tracing by a large window. Now we have to get the infection numbers down to manageable levels - and you only see that by testing - so that we can carefully open up again. We're nowhere near manageable levels yet in many parts of the country.

Fire analogy works - you want to be able to detect fire outbreaks quickly (by testing) and clamp down hard to put the fire out. You can't do that if the whole country is either on fire or steadily smoldering.

I agree on the antibody testing.....I want one for myself.

I'm not so fixated on the running total of positives but focusing on the hospitalization numbers. We have 35 in the hospital and 8 on respirators state wide. I would like to see things open up here while protecting the high risk folks. While I don't want anyone to get sick, most who get sick are asystematic or non life threatening.
We see in SE PA how protecting the high risk folks go. 85% of deaths in my county were in nursing homes. They've all been under lockdown since early-mid March. The problem is that workers still need to get in and out.

Well Saturday will be a real tell here. All lockdowns and stay at homes end with all business and other stuff open, with Guidelines, the problem here is NO ONE is following @NurseDave may have been talking about a bar overcrowded that was right here in this state as well.

Point in time testing is maximally effective when it can be done on large numbers of a population in a short period of time. If you are doing 5000 tests a day in a population of 20million the benefit is so minimized it becomes little more than a monitoring tool. The reason is obvious, if you can Use tests to identify and isolate as many positives as possible in as large aNd concentrated population As possible in as short a timeframe as possible you can render the rest of that group “safe”. Repeat that test and isolate process on each community and the test is now a powerful tool. Use the test at random and you might as well conduct an opinion poll, you’ll get statistically useful information but not containment.

We had our first corporate-wide zoom yesterday after 8 weeks WFH for many (lots of departmental zooms though (y)) and we're staying with the current WFH setup at least until the end of June to see how things shake-out as provincial retrictions start to lift on Tuesday. That'll help avoid problems just in case we get a flare-up as the general population gets out of lock-down.

Apparently Chad is trying to send his earthquake ju-ju West. CA/NV got hit with a good sized one early this morning. I didn’t wake up that I remember thankfully :ROFLMAO:

An overwhelming percentage of those infected in our county and 60% of our modest death rate has been attributed to nursing home And congregate living situations. I don’t know about your local nursing and post acute care facilities but I know ours are owned by cheap/greedy doctors and staffed predominantly by Minimally trained, barely qualified individuals. Many of whose so cowardly They abandoned their patients as soon as the word began to spread that patients were getting sick. One home where the largest outbreak occurred had ONE staffer show up for the morning shift.
since we know REAL nurses are capable of taking care of our elderly, maybe it’s time our nursing homes stop getting away with the barely care they’ve gotten away with for the last 20+ years.

Of course, everything I’ve described is what I’ve seen and know happens in my area. I would love to think this is not the norm and nursing homes are better managed in other areas.

An overwhelming percentage of those infected in our county and 60% of our modest death rate has been attributed to nursing home And congregate living situations. I don’t know about your local nursing and post acute care facilities but I know ours are owned by cheap/greedy doctors and staffed predominantly by Minimally trained, barely qualified individuals. Many of whose so cowardly They abandoned their patients as soon as the word began to spread that patients were getting sick. One home where the largest outbreak occurred had ONE staffer show up for the morning shift.
since we know REAL nurses are capable of taking care of our elderly, maybe it’s time our nursing homes stop getting away with the barely care they’ve gotten away with for the last 20+ years.

Of course, everything I’ve described is what I’ve seen and know happens in my area. I would love to think this is not the norm and nursing homes are better managed in other areas.
Unfortunately...I think this is the norm for nursing homes Chris. It's VERY, VERY sad!

I just got an email from my insurance company stating that antibody testing is now covered 100% if ordered by a medical professional.

Institutional environments in general are conducive to disease spread. Think college dorms or daycares. I recall being administered ‘shots’ in the military that were never recorded in my shot record and left my arm partially paralyzed for a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back