The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Corona Virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to be cynical but I feel it is for the headlines. I suppose it is harder to justify a stay at home mandate if the headline is less than 40 active cases. Much easier to justify if you throw out a number closer to 200. Same thing with the death count.
Swaying public opinion is clearly an important factor in a political world. I don’t perceive your thoughts as cynical.

I was a chemistry teach for 12 years before switching careers. The old model was also agrarian based, allowing the children to be home during planting and harvesting. It has slowly evolved to the current 10 month model, but even that has been debated for some time. Why not year-round, with longer breaks? Why spend every fall re-teaching what was done last spring? My sister and brother in law successfully home schooled three active boys, all of whom are now gainfully employed adults in tech fields and own their own homes in the their mid-twenties. She taught them year round, with a few month long breaks throughout the year. my point, "the times, they are a changing"! The only thing constant is change!

I was a chemistry teach for 12 years before switching careers. The old model was also agrarian based, allowing the children to be home during planting and harvesting. It has slowly evolved to the current 10 month model, but even that has been debated for some time. Why not year-round, with longer breaks? Why spend every fall re-teaching what was done last spring? My sister and brother in law successfully home schooled three active boys, all of whom are now gainfully employed adults in tech fields and own their own homes in the their mid-twenties. She taught them year round, with a few month long breaks throughout the year. my point, "the times, they are a changing"! The only thing constant is change!
My ears are open for sure. School and I didn’t mix. :p

Last edited:
Wr are talking about snow this weekend! Up to 5 inches in some areas.
Yep, not as much here in upstate NY, but still... SNOW IN MAY?!?! Bah!

It's been chilly this week, too. Low 50s? I guess I shouldn't complain, but c'mon... I'm trying to do 'Spring themed' shaves and I feel like I need to bust out my heavy winter soaps. [emoji2957]

Sent from my Speak and Spell via Tapatalk

Yep, not as much here in upstate NY, but still... SNOW IN MAY?!?! Bah!

It's been chilly this week, too. Low 50s? I guess I shouldn't complain, but c'mon... I'm trying to do 'Spring themed' shaves and I feel like I need to bust out my heavy winter soaps. [emoji2957]

Sent from my Speak and Spell via Tapatalk
Meant to tell you, you're tapatalk emoji's don't show up :(

The biggest obstacle for teaching a lab based science class is obviously the lab portion. You are probably familiar with all of the prep work and hands on instruction that it takes to teach a worthwhile chemistry lab to students. As a current science teacher, I have struggled with having to substitute virtual labs and lab simulations for my normal hands on labs that I would normally do with my students. Online instruction may work for some subjects, but I have found in the past few weeks that it is very difficult to do without lab based science classes.

Without getting to play around with the open flame of a Bunsen burner I don't know how any of these kids can be well rounded.

Here are some interesting numbers from last week Friday:
"Thirty-seven Mainers are currently hospitalized for COVID-19, as of Friday. The state has 330 intensive care unit beds, with 171 available. Ventilator supply continues to be sufficient for current demand, with 316 ventilators, 290 available and 397 alternative ventilators"

I know that the whole flattening the curve was so that the medical community wouldn't be overwhelmed. It seems to me that the curve here has been no where near overwhelming levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back