The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

@cmh737 master of all that is high-end and scented as heaven. Looking into a few fragrances and curious if you have tried any and your thoughts. Also wondering if you have ever order decants and your success with that.

Imaginary Authors - A City On Fire
Mona di Orio - CUIR
CB i hate perfume - Burning Leaves

I have not tried those three. I did sample several Imaginary Authors, but alas, A City on Fire was not one of them. I can say that the IA frags are beast mode - so easy on the trigger.

I have not tried those three. I did sample several Imaginary Authors, but alas, A City on Fire was not one of them. I can say that the IA frags are beast mode - so easy on the trigger.
Ooooookaaaaay

Back in town for the rest of the week. Was on the road for 8 out of the last 9 days, and this old man is feeling it. But I did have an interesting day up in Indianapolis this past Sunday. I took a Lyft to church for Palm Sunday - yes, for us eastern orthodox, it was Palm Sunday this year. BTW, a belated Happy Easter to those in the western churches! And on the way back, the driver was talking about the Pacers/Celtics game that day. I had forgotten about it, and the game started at 1pm. So I looked on Stub Hub to see if any tickets remained, and how much, and what do you know? I ended going to the game. The Celtics won, and took the series 4-0, but it was cool to actually see an NBA playoff game.

Anyhow, this morning's shave was excellent. I totally dig AoS shaving creams, and this lavender is very nice. It's a very natural smelling lavender, although only about a 2/5 on the SOS scale. But that's OK on this one - very relaxing. And the performance is top-notch. I know that AoS doesn't get the love on the forums, but I think it's a fantastic cream, and I'd have to say my favorite shaving cream, and totally worth the cost. BTW, I think they may have reduced the price on their tubs of shaving cream, because it was $25 at the store - I thought I remembered it being more. I'm not complaining. BTW, in terms of lavender scented shaving soaps/creams....I still think that the benchmark for me, in terms of scent, specifically a straight-forward, singular lavender scent, is Mystic Water's Lavender, hands down. Honorable mentions are: Mickey Lee's Jefferson Square, and Mike's Hungarian Lavender, and this AoS Lavender.

PIaf4Lj.jpg

Super Speed w/Nacet//Rudy Vey Shavemac DO1, 2-band flat top//AoS Lavender//Speick aftershave//Creed Green Irish Tweed EdP

Nice shave and welcome back!

I think I read 1 in 10 people are sociopaths. Think about that next time you catch a ride from a stranger :D

Welcome back Chris. Been on the fence with the Tom Ford Vetiver. What can you tell me about it and how it would pair with CBL fresh vetiver soap ?

Thanks, Gents.

Welcome back Chris. Been on the fence with the Tom Ford Vetiver. What can you tell me about it and how it would pair with CBL fresh vetiver soap ?

Well, I haven't tried CBL's fresh vetiver soap, so I can't speak to that specifically. But Tom Ford Vetiver is an excellent fragrance, no doubt. Personally, and I'm only speaking for myself, in terms of vetiver fragrances, I prefer Guerlain Vetiver EdT. To me, the Guerlain is the benchmark by which I judge/compare all other vetiver frags (as a matter of fact, I wore it yesterday). It's been around since 1959 and is a timeless classic. But TF is a close second. The bottle that I have is in EdP concentration. Truth be told, this is one of those rare cases, where I actually prefer the TF Vetiver in EdT concentration. Question: did you ever try Fine Accoutrements "Clean Vetiver", now called "Fresh Vetiver"? That's a clone, and a solid one at that, of the TF Vetiver EdT. Fine's "Green Vetiver" is more like the Guerlain.

Great set up, Chris. I put AoS creams up near the top in performance, and think they are worth the price as well. I think they've been at $25 for as long as I can remember, but I could be wrong.

Question: did you ever try Fine Accoutrements "Clean Vetiver", now called "Fresh Vetiver"?
Interesting! I tried both actually and they smelled a shade different from one to the other. Fresh smelled more “out of the herb garden” and Clean more like they were going for a crisp, more notably cologne type scent. I preferred Clean myself.

Roger all, gents.

BTW, I will be ending my BST "firesale" at the end of the month. April 30th is the final day of the sale, and then the post gets archived. Thanks to everyone who has helped me "cull the herd".

Thursday's Shave:

What a great shave today! Vintage Williams soap (my goodness, one of the slickest soaps ever!), Paladin PK-47 (awesome brush!), British Aristocrat #16 w/Persona Red (one of the best DE's ever made!), Dr. Kiehl's aftershave balm (excellent post shave), and then some really "old school" juice.......Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur EdT.

This bottle of MdM is one that I got a few weeks ago when I was up in Toronto visiting the Guerlain boutique. This fragrance has been around since 1904. It was one of the first, if not the first, fragrance marketed directly for men. Basically, this is Guerlain Jicky, for men. Jicky first appeared in 1889 and was targeted for the women, but the ladies did not like it at that time; however, the men did. But Jicky hung around till it caught on with the women, and so MdM was launched for the male segment. Both Jicky and MdM smell quite similar to me, actually, in the dry down. And BTW, Jicky is quite unisex - so don't be fooled by the targeted audience. Anyway, this current version of MdM is tamer than the original stuff in that the animalic civet note has been phased out, at least to my nose. I had sampled the vintage juice a few years back, and it took an hour to dry down to something I liked, and thus never bought it. But recently, I tried the new stuff, and I totally dig it - thus the full bottle purchase. This is definitely an old school, for the mature, serious gentleman fragrance. It projects moderately for about 2 or 3 hours, then settles to a "personal bubble" type vibe for the next couple of hours before settling to a skin scent. Like I said, I totally dig this juice - a must have for me going forward.

aoOSyxU.jpg

Well that's a pretty looking bottle if nothing else. We went to one of their boutiques in Vegas and I remember there was at least one scent there I liked. No idea which it was. I need to start writing this stuff down.

Back