The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

Friday's shave:

Lemony Goodness, all the way! MdC Agrumes is, IMHO, hands down, the greatest lemon scented shaving soap I've ever used. The scent is so natural, it's as if you've just grated some zest from the lemon. And finishing off with Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche EdP? Fuggetaboutit! AWESOME! What a great start to the day and weekend!!!!!!

xnhBZ2Y.jpg

What!??! Fresh lemon scent you say?!?!?

Edit - Not only is it out of stock, I saw the price o_O

Nice setup and pic as always

Thanks, Dave.

I agree on the scent. LOVE IT!

If I could have only one MdC scent, only one, it would be this Agrumes. It's totally unique in that I can think of no other soap that provides such a, fresh, natural, zingy lemon scent as this one.

What!??! Fresh lemon scent you say?!?!?

Edit - Not only is it out of stock, I saw the price o_O

The price only seems expensive. Yes, the cash upfront is high; HOWEVER, a jar of MdC lasts almost forever! So if you price it per shave, and how long it lasts, it's actually a much less expensive soap than many, many other seemingly inexpensive tubs of soap.

Excellent set up, Chris. Allure Homme Blanche and Allure Homme Sport have been on my radar for a while. I've gotten samples of both and they are fantastic.

I get the point and believe you. But with how often a soap shows up in my rotation, even a croap would last 10 years.

Chris...Great Shave...Awesome Pic! But honestly...I have serious brush envy right now! That Rudy Vey is one handsome brush!

Excellent set up, Chris. Allure Homme Blanche and Allure Homme Sport have been on my radar for a while. I've gotten samples of both and they are fantastic.

Thanks, Eric. I totally dig the original Allure Homme! But for me, it's not for the really hot weather; but it's perfect for autumn, or early spring. The Edition Blanche is actually the only Allure flanker that I like. I've sampled all the other flankers, and they just didn't "wow" me enough to make them FBW. But I do like this Edition Blanche - my only criticism is that the longevity is not very impressive for me. I get maybe 3 or 4 hours, and then refresh after that. But I dig it.

@NurseDave Chris is right. Many have mentioned the bottom of a MdC jar. It's a myth though.

My jar of the original scent finally has a doughnut hole in the bottom. It's taken about 4 years!

I get the point and believe you. But with how often a soap shows up in my rotation, even a croap would last 10 years.

:cool:

Chris...Great Shave...Awesome Pic! But honestly...I have serious brush envy right now! That Rudy Vey is one handsome brush!

Thanks, Don. This particular 2-band Manchurian knot that Rudy was using for a while is absolutely fantastic! It's a "goldilocks" brush for me. And I totally dig the Simpson "Eagle" style handle - perfect for face lathering.

Saturday's shave:

A busy day, and just now having time to document the shave from this morning. Had a very enjoyable and nice one. Mike's soaps are flat-out-awesome for me with the water at my house. Elite status all the way and one of my favorites. The Rudy Vey w/AMACK4 Game Changer synthetic really whipped up a stellar lather. Finished up with Sampson's unscented balm, and then Dior Homme Sport EdT.

This particular bottle of Dior Homme Sport is the latest formulation, 2017. It's quite different than the 2012 version (which I also have). I haven't tried the original formulation from 2008, so can't comment on that one. The 2017 version starts out with a blast of synthetic citrus, primarily orange. Then it settles into a creamy orange that is quite enjoyable, actually. It's a "sport" version fragrance, so it doesn't have much longevity, maybe a couple hours. But that's OK. If it's hot, and or one is going to be active, then this is decent "grab and go". I much prefer this 2017 version to the 2012 version. The 2012 is iris dominate and just not for me.

ED8wSRk.jpg

Man, if you don’t have the behind baseball on this stuff you might not know what you’re getting.

Man, if you don’t have the behind baseball on this stuff you might not know what you’re getting.
I know what you mean. The 2012 version is definitely not for me. And even though this 2017 version is one that, while I like it OK, it won't be a re-purchase.

Wow...I never realized that there would be so much...if any...difference between years on fragrances. Makes me wonder how much the classics change?

Very nice set up, Chris. I haven't tried any of the Dior Homme line yet. I was never crazy about iris in general until I tried Valentino Uomo Intense.

Nice shave and thoughts Chris

Thanks, Dave.

Wow...I never realized that there would be so much...if any...difference between years on fragrances. Makes me wonder how much the classics change?

Oh my, there can be drastic changes!

Very nice set up, Chris. I haven't tried any of the Dior Homme line yet. I was never crazy about iris in general until I tried Valentino Uomo Intense.

I hear ya. Iris has definitely not been in my wheelhouse; however, the Dior Homme Parfum and the Dior Homme Intense has caused me to appreciate it, to a certain extent.

Back