The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

SR Shave #658:

Back in town, and opted for another traditional straight shave this fine Saturday morning - the Torrey quarter hollow, with Eric's custom scales. The brush, of course, had to match, thus Eric's custom matching brush with Tuxedo synthetic. The soap was vintage Colgate Cup Soap, and my goodness, it's awesome - incredibly slick! Post shave was my usual Sampson's unscented balm. Then finished up with some Parfums de Nicolai, "New York Intense" EdP.

I had sampled the "New York" EdT, and liked it so much, that I decided to go ahead and blind-buy the EdP concentration. I totally dig this juice! My goodness, this is right in my wheel house. And it's my first full bottle (even though it's only a 30ml) from this niche house, founded by Patricia de Nicolai, the great-granddaughter of Pierre Guerlain and niece of Jean Paul Guerlain. The "New York" scent first launched as an EdT in 1989, and in 2014, the EdP version was launched. This is a woody aromatic with listed notes (from Basenotes) of, "Lemon, Bergamot, Petitgrain//Lavender, Armoise, Red Pepper, Black Pepper//Patchouli, Cedar, Leather, Vanilla". To me, this is what I call an "old school, barbershop" style fragrance, even though it's relatively new. I get a spicy, ambery, very masculine vibe from this. It's listed as unisex, but I completely disagree - this is definitely for men, especially us old timers, whether in actual age, or at least in attitude. This is something, if it had been around "back in the day", that my grandfather and dad would have definitely owned. I love it, and wear it for myself since my wife doesn't really care for it. As a matter of fact, she gave me the, "you smell like an old man" comment - well....that's me! This juice is flat-out-dynamite!!!

Ihssn4n.jpg

Last edited:
Great stuff, Chris. I do love how padauk looks when it's finished. I believe I have the EDT sample of that frag now, and need to give it a shot.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts. Did you get the EdT, or one of the others?
I got the EDT. The sample spray was very promising. Loved it right off the bat, and can't wait to go "full Vassily" with it lol.

Great stuff, Chris. I do love how padauk looks when it's finished. I believe I have the EDT sample of that frag now, and need to give it a shot.

I got the EDT. The sample spray was very promising. Loved it right off the bat, and can't wait to go "full Vassily" with it lol.

Roger all, Eric. And the Habit Rouge has really grown on me over the past several months - I just can't seem to get enough of it - LOL. Totally dig it!

Sunday's shave:

I decided to use the following for today's shave:

Gillette British Aristocrat #16 (w/Persona Red blade)
Rudy Vey w/Shavemac Finest
Mike's Barbershop
Sampson's Unscented Balm
Parfums de Nicolai "New York Intense" EdP

In a word: MAGNIFICENT! I have to say, that not only is Mike's one of my favorite soaps, his "Barbershop" scented one is my absolute favorite "barbershop" scented soap. The newest Rudy Vey brush is performing wonderfully and this Shavemac Finest knot is perfect. And I had to go a second day in a row with the Nicolai New York Intense EdP - I totally dig this one! When this 30ml bottle is done, I'll definitely be replenishing with a 100ml bottle!

aqJLhkw.jpg

Nice shave Chris you secret super hero and I quote, "We could see a suave millionaire playboy wearing this, especially if he's secretly a superhero, as well. Sexy and confident."

I gave my sample of New York a sample spray and I can see why you love it. I get the “old man” vibe, but it’s a classy and fantastic frag for sure.

Monday's shave:

Grape soda to start the week! Yes!!!

I just felt that today would be a good day for Dunhill Icon EdP, aka, the "grape soda". I know, call me crazy for dubbing this most excellent juice with such a moniker, as there is actually no grape in the fragrance. But that's what it reminds me of at the first blast. It's got to be the way the neroli, petitgrain, and bergamot mix together. There is a lot going on with this fragrance and it's marvelously blended to create a dynamite scent. The note breakdown from Basenotes has it: "Neroli, Italian Bergamot, Black Pepper, Petitgrain//Provencal Lavender, Cardamom, Sage, Juniper Berry//Iris, Leather, Vetiver, Oud, Oakmoss". To me, this is "blind buy worthy" - I totally dig it!

And the soap of choice had to be Tiki's "Grand Cru", as this is THE perfect soap scent to use when Dunhill Icon is in the house. A perfect match. Awesome!

Like I said, what a great way to start the week!

mslXLFc.jpg

Fantastic set up. Icon is one of the best value frags out there. I probably wouldn’t have thought grape soda the first time I smelled it, but that’s what pops into my head whoever I wear it because of you lol.

I gave my sample of New York a sample spray and I can see why you love it. I get the “old man” vibe, but it’s a classy and fantastic frag for sure.

Roger that. "Classy and fantastic" for sure! BTW, I think it's worth having both the EdT and the EdP. The EdP is more "refined", but I think the EdT actually has greater longevity.

Fantastic set up. Icon is one of the best value frags out there. I probably wouldn’t have thought grape soda the first time I smelled it, but that’s what pops into my head whoever I wear it because of you lol.

Yeh, I agree 100% about value. And too funny. :cool:

Love seeing your pics on a more regular basis! Great shaves.

Thanks, Chad.

Tuesday's shave:

No picture, today, due to laziness - gotta be honest - no other reason, really; but I had a wonderful shave in spite of that. The highlights were vintage/retro soap and fragrance: Colgate Cup Soap, and Dior Jules EdT (sample).

The new Rudy Vey w/Shavemac Finest whipped up an excellent, uber slick Colgate lather. This stuff is awesome. It was easy work for the Merkur 34 (w/Feather). Post shave was Sampson's Unscented Balm. And then the Jules EdT.

Dior released Jules in 1980. It was re-released in 2016. I had sampled this about a month ago, and am giving it a second go around today. To be honest, I'm not sure if my sample is the vintage, or the new. But regardless, I actually dig this......after 30 minutes has elapsed. To me, this is a "green" bomb at first, with black pepper spice and cedarwood mid range, and then some pleasing soapy cleanness. It's heavy on the galbanum at first blast, and though it diminishes through the dry down, it's still quite present throughout the life of the fragrance. Also, to me, it has somewhat of an animalic note mixed along with the bitter "greenness", and fortunately it dissipates in about half-an-hour, leaving all the good stuff. In terms of performance, it projects moderately for the first hour, but on me, it quickly becomes a skin scent. I wish this lasted longer for me, as I dig it and would consider it FBW; but alas it doesn't, and thus probably won't get one. But I might anyway. :cool:

Nice vintage shave Chris. I have a Colgate Mug soap but was waiting for the Williams to be done................but that may be forever......

Nice vintage shave Chris. I have a Colgate Mug soap but was waiting for the Williams to be done................but that may be forever......
I haven't tried the Colgate Mug soap, only this Colgate Cup soap. I've read that there is quite a difference between the two. I'll be interested to hear your take on it.

Back