The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

cmh737 Straight Venture Journal Continued

SR Shave #656:

Today is the Eastern Orthodox Easter (Christos Anesti!), and I decided to treat myself to a traditional straight razor shave this afternoon. I also decided to use my new brush that I received just a few days ago from Rudy Vey - a Shavemac Finest fan in an "Eagle" style handle. Also, for additional "treats", I went with Sir Irisch Moos soap, and finished off with a dynamite fragrance - Dior's Eau Sauvage Parfum, the 2017 version. Today's shave was, in a word: Marvelous!

9XF5VbO.jpg

Happy Easter, Chris! I've always liked the look of the Eagle handles, and that one looks to be a knockout!

That is a beautiful brush. Eau Sauvage is another frag that has been on the radar for a while, but the trigger has not yet been pulled.

Outstanding Chri!
That is a beautiful brush. Eau Sauvage is another frag that has been on the radar for a while, but the trigger has not yet been pulled.
Thanks, guys.

And Eric, between the Eau Sauvage Parfum 2012 version and the 2017 version, I prefer th 2012, but that is strictly for cooler/cold weather. the 2017 version has been "brightened" up, and seems to like the warmer weather.

SR #657:

Decided to enjoy another straight razor shave, and opted for the Kropp 5/8 full hollow. My goodness, this blade is still awesome! One of my favorite straights, and it's still holding a smooth and sharp edge that was finished on a surgical black Ark. I definitely dig Sheffield steel. As a matter of fact, generally speaking, my two favorite blade steels are from Solingen and Sheffield, hands down. I know I sound like a broken record, but if you ever see a decent looking Kropp for sale somewhere, snatch it up quickly. There's a reason that they're not seen that often for sale - those of us who own 'em are keeping them!

The rest of the set up was quite enjoyable. The Thater 2-band fan was magnificent! The Declaration Grooming soap was unbelievably awesome - one of the best soaps currently availale - and this particular scent is flat out amazing! The Sampson's unscented balm did it's job as usual. And the Dior Homme EdT worked very well with the soap scent. This is the current version of the Dior Homme, not the original version. I still have a sample of the original, but it's not for me as the iris is too dominate, and thus not to my liking. However, with this newest version, they toned down the iris and added a leather accord to it, so it's more wearable for me. Iris is a tricky note for "men's" fragrances. It can be very "powdery" and definitely lean more for the ladies, if it's not blended well with other ingredients. But I kinda like this newest version, even though it's not totally in my wheel-house. This is a fragrance that takes at least an hour to dry down to push through the powder bomb and into the leathery and cacao notes. Even still, thought, the iris is there. Now, for winter time, there are two flankers of Dior Homme that I totally dig, the "Intense" EdT, and the "Parfum". Those are magnificent - after an hour goes by, that is. :cool:

8CXsDLB.jpg

Wednesday's shave:

About to head out the door in a few, but a short post on today's shave. In a word, FANTASTIC!

I've finally discovered the perfect frag to accompany CBL's "Carnation" soap: Guerlain Habit Rouge. Yep, carnation happens to be one of the heart notes in Habit Rouge. Magnificent!

ZkhIq3e.jpg

Merkur Progress w/Nacet//Rudy Vey w/Shavemac Finest//CBL Carnation//Guerlain Habit Rouge aftershave & EdT

How do you like the Carnation scent? I recently picked up some of Chris's soaps (well, they're MINE now! 🤪) and simply LOVE this one's scent.

I've been on the fence about picking up Carnation based on my fianceé's thoughts on the general scent, but I think I'm going to pull the trigger anyway.

Nice picture of the shave, by the way!

Excellent set up, Chris. I finally pulled the trigger on a bottle of Habit Rouge(and a few others) last week.

How do you like the Carnation scent? I recently picked up some of Chris's soaps (well, they're MINE now! 🤪) and simply LOVE this one's scent.

I dig it. Kind of a spicy floral, if that makes any sense.

I've been on the fence about picking up Carnation based on my fianceé's thoughts on the general scent, but I think I'm going to pull the trigger anyway.

Nice picture of the shave, by the way!

Thanks.

Well now i need to find that cologne.

It's readily available on the fragrance discounter websites.

The frag-master in action. Love all the great fragrance choices.

Thanks, CBL. I took the Rose Oud you sent me a while back on the road. It's still my favorite. And it too paired well with the Habit Rouge (which I also took with me in an atomizer).

Excellent set up, Chris. I finally pulled the trigger on a bottle of Habit Rouge(and a few others) last week.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts. Did you get the EdT, or one of the others?

Back